Start by marking “Evangelical Eloquence: A Course of Lectures on Preaching” as Want to Read:
Evangelical Eloquence: A Course of Lectures on Preaching

Evangelical Eloquence: A Course of Lectures on Preaching

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
While recognizing the importance of rhetoric as a skill to be acquired and practised, Dabney emphasizes that 'it is grace which makes the preacher, and that nothing is preaching which is not expository of the Scriptures.'
Published November 1st 1999 by Banner of Truth (first published January 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Evangelical Eloquence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evangelical Eloquence

Benjamin
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had not previously read this, so I was a little surprised to find that much of what he had to say in the first six lectures (mostly about the text) is very similar to what I have been telling my students in exegesis classes for years. His nineteenth-century style may be difficult for some, but i found much here both to encourage and challenge me in my own sermon preparation and preaching.
Peter N.
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and refer to it frequently in sermon prep. I give five stars to two types of books: Those that are paradigm shifting for me personally and those that are classics. This one falls into the first category. For me, it changed the way I looked at sermon preparation and delivery. It is not perfect. As one reviewer said, he focuses on the rational too much at times. He can be dry and over the heads of those of us who were not trained as he was. But on the whole a young past ...more
Zack
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This course of lectures on preaching must have been "the result of strenuous effort," for it is excellent. I intend to revisit this manual often, though I may not read through it again. A thorough index would be supremely helpful.
Jesse Broussard
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: good
So far it is enjoyable, if a bit dry. Nothing really remarkable prose-wise, but content has a few notable issues.

First, his classification of oration is somewhat odd--it doesn't include poetry or anything that we would consider "just for fun." "The immediate end of eloquence is to produce in the hearer some practical volition."--page 30. "The end, I repeat, of every oration is to make men do."--page 34 But, if you just insert "sermon" for each "oration," it works out pretty well.

Second, he does
Jacob Aitken
This is one of those books that needs to be read on a yearly basis, or at least every eighteen months. It is the *best* all around text on preaching. Others are better in more technical or more applicatory aims, but Dabney delivers on all counts.

The reason Dabney was great as a theologian was because he could divide an analyze a topic and then show the internal causal connections. He does this with rhetoric as well. I used "rhetoric" instead of Preaching because this is primarily a book on rheto
Mike Awtry
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on preaching, both on what preaching is and on crafting a sermon. Dabney's ideas on bringing eloquence and rhetoric into the pulpit to elevate the communication of the Word for the hearer are thought provoking. Taken from a series of lectures on preaching, this is a must read for all who aspire to preach. I'll have to revisit this at some point in the future.
Bill
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homiletics
Excellent book on expository preaching. Dabney integrates much insight into speaking from ancient philosophers and the Scriptures. This book is not so easy to follow (at least for me, I have to pay careful attention to it).
Brittany Petruzzi
This book is probably far better than I thought it was at the time. Being a freshman means you don't know enough to know how good the books you're forced to read really are.
Gwen Burrow
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Reading Dabney as fast as I did is kinda like gulping wine. I should return to this book someday when I have time to swirl and sip.
Andy Smith
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really great series of lectures. I would have absolutely given it 5 stars, but the final third of the book get too detailed concerning ancient rhetoric's use in preaching.
Chris Comis
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: pastoral
Liked it, but it was a bit tedious. Especially if you aren't well versed in classical Aristotelian rhetoric. But some good insights on how to deliver a sermon with clarity and precision.
mpsiple
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just great, especially his "seven cardinal requisites."
Greg Judy
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very dry at times, but a must-read for anyone considering the pastorate.
Aaron Ventura
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Some good and practical instruction on rhetoric and the personal piety of the preacher. It made me want to continue to improve in my own public preaching and prayer.
Caleb Silflow
rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2013
Bob Bingham
Jan 21, 2013
Robert Lewis Dabney (March 5, 1820 – January 3, 1898) was an American Christian theologian, a Southern Presbyterian pastor, and Confederate Army chaplain. He was also chief of staff and biographer to Stonewall Jackson. His biography of Jackson remains in print today.

Dabney studied at Hampden-Sydney College and the University of Virginia (M.A., 1842), and graduated from Union Theological Seminary i
More about Robert Lewis Dabney...