Start by marking “Starman Jones” as Want to Read:
Starman Jones

Starman Jones

The stars were closed to Max Jones. To get into space you either needed connections, a membership in the Guild, or a whole lot more money than Max, the son of a widowed, poor mother, was every going to have. What Max does have going for him are his uncle’s prized astrogation manuals—book on star navigation that Max literally commits to memory word for word, equation for

Published February 12th 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Starman Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starman Jones

Start your review of Starman Jones
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrogators in space!

One of Heinlein's earlier juvenile novels, this is one where RAH describes in great detail the machinations of the astrogators, quite a bit dated now with computers and it is amusing to imagine as he did a trio of math geniuses sitting in chairs with slide rules charting out a space ship's course, but that was part of his charm.

Some thin characterizations along with some very 1950sish language, but Heinlein was working his very peculiar magic and this is all the while a
Mike (the Paladin)
I like this dated novel. A human civilization that was pictured or imagined before our present level of computer and electronic technology was even imagined. A young man "inherits" somewhat informally a set of "astrogator's" texts and then sets out to get "sponsored" to get into the Astrogator's guild", the only way to become an astrogator, someone who plots the course of starships through deep space.

One of Heinlein's so called teen novels and a good read. It dates back to 1953 and as I said is
Manuel Antão
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1996, 1980
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Binary Equivalents: "Starman Jones" by Robert A. Heinlein

(Original Review, 1980-07-24)

Random rumblings on our inability to predict the future.

Pop-up display screens and visual aiming (guiding a missile by looking at the target) for fighter pilots is discussed in the recent fiction paperback "FoxFire.'' The technology for visual aiming is actually quite old. It is derived from the device (I'm not sure what it is called) used by
Jim
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1paper
Another typical (great!) Heinlein YA novel about a farm boy who makes good. The main characters in this book aren't angels. They break the law - bad ones mostly - for reasons they think are sufficient (I always thought so) & reap the consequences afterward, but still come out ahead.

Max is a hillbilly & has an impossible situation at home. He runs away, gets fake ID with the help of a rough, but kind stranger. He gets a job on a space ship cleaning pet cages. Menial, but honest work that
Jim
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An SF Juvenile originally published 60 years ago, 1953, & it shows its age in a few places, but was still a wonderful yarn with one of my favorite characters in it, Sam. Hardly the perfect hero or role model, he was a lot of fun & showed the main character, Max, the ropes.

The age of the story was most apparent in the technology. Max has to study a computer by opening a panel & tracing circuits. Logs were pulled out of the tables in books (Anyone else remember those?), problems were
David
I read a lot of Heinlein's juveniles when I was younger, but I missed this one and it was on sale from Audible, so it was nice to enjoy one of his earlier works, before he started getting old and wanky. Everything from Friday on was pretty much Heinlein getting his freak on, but his earlier novels are still sci-fi classics for good reason.

Starman Jones is your basic boys' adventure story: Max is a kid from Earth who runs away from home when his stepmother marries an abusive bum. He meets an
Valerie
Heinlein's anachronistic elements are often recognized when dealing with technical issues. Other aspects are less obvious. I've lived in the Ozarks area (the boundaries between mountain ranges are necessarily nebulous). I was once lost in a state park. I made my way out by following excessively bright lights to a prison.

That was some years ago, but things have gotten worse everywhere. There are no longer any places that get dark at night. (Possibly with the exception of Arizona, where the
Lis Carey
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, audiobooks
This Heinlein guy was pretty good at telling a story.

Max Jones is a young farmer, working hard to support his unlovable stepmother after his father's death, but he dreams of the life his Uncle Chet lived, as a member of the Astrogators' Guild. Chet had promised him that he'd nominate him for membership, but died while Max was still too young to join, and then Max's father, before he died also, made him promise to take care of his stepmother.

But when his stepmother remarries and she and her new
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
While I'm tooling around the world and history of writers I tripped upon Robert Heinlein. I decided I had to read at least one, so I picked Starman Jones. I have to say during the first two chapters I almost stopped reading because I felt like I was back in high school and it just wasn't sitting well with me. Then we finally got to space I got it, I really enjoyed it.
The main character, a few extra characters and of course space were interesting. What didn't work was it feel very old. The book
Jeff Yoak
I enjoyed reading this several times on my own, but really enjoyed reading it (in small bits) with the kids in 2013. It is the second Heinlein novel I went through with them, after The Star Beast and they loved them both. Come to think of it, it has been over the time that we've been reading this that Lily first declared her intention to become an astronaut when she grows up (with the proviso that it might be too hard, and if it is, she's going to become a "smoothie girl.") Somehow that ...more
Linda
This is typical Heinlein youth fiction. Though, this isn’t the best of the youth novels; it certainly isn’t the worst. Heinlein takes a stab at the injustice of the class system. He loves his guns, the constitution, freedom, etc. My favorite part of the book is Max’s (the protagonist) obsession with his library book. Of course it is dated, but it was written in the early 50s. Usually I find Heinlein’s sexism almost endearing, but in this book, I was almost offended. I didn’t think that he really ...more
Bill
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Heinlein Juvies. I first read it when I was about 10 years old. It launched my lifelong interest in space and rockets and wanting to be a spaceman, to get off earth and explore the galaxy. It's about a poor kid making good and becoming the Captain of a spaceship through a series of improbable events.

Whenever, I feel the need to rekindle that feeling of wonder and need to explore or advance, I re-read this book.
Bar Reads
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Omg I need a Mr. chips!
Frank
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Had this one for so many years. I always wanted to get thru Heinlein's juveniles, and am slowly getting there.
This one holds up to time as a rollicking space adventure for our main character, a poor farm boy, Max Jones, who joins on to a spaceship, run by the form of Navy, first under an assumed name, then through all mishaps and misadventures, becomes a legitimate member of the ship.
It was a quick and enjoyable read.
Carena Wood beimler
This novel is written towards boys who have not yet been twitterpated. And it's written well. As I am not the target demographic, being female and I've most definitely been twitterpated, this book doesn't follow along the natural paths I expect it to. However, it is still an amazing book.
Joan
This is another Heinlein I remember favorably from my childhood. It has not stood the test of time quite as well some of his other titles. Virtually all the women have rather sexist positions. They are vapid, predatory, vicious, or good but on the stupid side. "You need the little darlings but you need to keep them in their places" pretty much sums up his attitude to a large degree in this book.All the vital characters are men.

The story itself is excellent. Max and Sam are aboard a starship by
Craig
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found that I remembered less about Starman Jones than any of Heinlein's other works than I read years ago. It's a rather standard Horatio Alger-ish story of pluck and determination and good character winning through against unfair circumstances and churlish opposition. The scientific aspects seem more dated here than in most of his other works, I'm afraid, and I didn't much care for the ending; he decides astrogators shouldn't marry, so he abandons the girl and returns to space, much as a ...more
Dave Packard
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Heinlein juvenile - but I love them!
stormin
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I've been really enjoying the Heinlein juveniles, and I think this one is one of my favorites. The plot-structure is a little bit weird, at first. And it definitely frustrates expectations in some interesting ways. For example, there's a well set-up, unlikely love-story. But instead of happily-ever-after, reality intrudes and the couple break up when she goes back to her privileged home to marry her boyfriend.

Of course, I've read enough Heinlein now, that I'm starting to realize that's kind of
Michael Campbell
This was okay, I guess. It's always kind of fun to read pre moon landing science fiction involving space travel. The quirky mechanics of space travel was really the book's only redeeming quality.

I always feel myself groan inwardly when someone writes characters from rural areas stereotypically. Yes, we get he grew up on a farm, he does not need to say things like "Well golly ma'am!" every few sentences.

Most of the characters are flat. The plot drags on, and the conclusion was pretty
Jacob
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid and enjoyable Heinlein entry. The edition I read had a foreward that talks about how this is one of Heinlein's efforts to write a science fiction Horatio Alger story. I don't think I would have seen it myself, but it's clearly there. The main character ends up having some delightfully good luck to match his wits and skill. As Heinlein points out, it's actually modeled after a real story, but that doesn't mean it's real believable ;) Just focus on the entertainment value; you won't get ...more
Roger
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought I had read this one back when I was pulling library edition hard copies of sci-fi novels from the local branch in middle school. Happily, this was a first time read for me. I cut my sci-fi teeth on Heinlein juveniles so this was just a fun fun read.
Doug Turnbull
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starman Jones was copyrighted in 1953 by Robert A. Heinlein and published that same year by Charles Scribner’s Sons of New York. The sixth of the Heinlein Juveniles, it is the last one to be fully illustrated by Clifford Geary.

It is also the first of his juveniles to postulate interstellar travel. All of the earlier books confined travel within the solar system. The protagonist, Maximilian Jones, or Max as he is known, comes from unspecified hill country, possibly the Ozarks, where he is living
Nils Jeppe
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starman Jones is a 50s Science Fiction escapist novel. It's written directly to appeal to teenage boys of dysfunctional families who have no greater wish than to run away and be special. Max Jones, our protagonist, is just such a teenager. He runs away from home, from Earth, and becomes a seasoned space traveller.

Let's get one thing straight: Like most science fiction of its era, this book did not age well in that its science is somewhere between fluffy and dumb. There is wireless power
Loren
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From ISawLightningFall.com

Reputations accrete in funny ways, and often we end up with a mental picture of a person or his work that's less than accurate. Take Robert A. Heinlein for example, the so-called dean of science fiction writers. Though Heinlein's career spanned nearly half a century, most folks today know him for the militaristic Starship Troopers, whose characters blasted not only intergalactic arachnids but Marxism as well. But theme-heavy SF doesn't compose the entirety of his
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is one of Heinlein's "juveniles"--that is, what we now call young adult. I tend to prefer quite a few of those to his adult novels such as Stranger in a Strange Land. I wouldn't count this among his best in that category though--of which my favorite is Citizen of the Galaxy. I'd say it's only about average for Heinlein--which still means it's very good indeed. This is the coming of age tale of a boy who goes from dirt between the toes farm boy to the stars.
Yes, some aspects are
Hyarrowen
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that got nine-year-old me started on a fifteen-year science fiction binge, until the genre started to get darker and edgier (and duller). I loved the fast-paced story-telling and the wish-fulfilment; farm boy becomes... well, I'm not going to spoil it but it's a great ride.

On re-reading the book recently, I winced a bit at some of the attitudes towards women, but that was par for the course in 1953 and the female protagonist was a tough cookie, as were some of the other women.
Aricia Gavriel
The book itself is a piece of history; a glimpse into the mindset of a bygone age which was flexing its creative muscles through the exercise of looking forward into the starship era. The novel is as much a time machine, or time capsule, as any film about 1940 made in 1940 (rather than a film set in that era made by people from a different world. Us).

I first read Starman Jones in the early 1970s. It was a good read then, and it's a good read now. Robert Heinlein wrote it in 1953 for a largely YA
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I really enjoy the concepts of alternate realities and such introduced in Heinlein's World as Myth/Lazarus Long books, but I also really enjoyed his earlier works, since his later books tended to get smutty in an unneccessary way.

This book is suitable for younger audiences, and was a light and easy read. Don't let the synopsis fool you - most of this book happens BEFORE Starman Jones is forced to save the ship. Like some other books Heinlein wrote about this time, the main character is lucky. In
Steve
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I just read this book, and now on Goodreads see that I read it in 1988; this is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read it. It's a good story, good quality sf for 1953. It's funny how Heinlein made the future seem so real in his books, but he's always got one leg stuck directly in the past (or perhaps half his body). In this future of starships, the main character still grows up isolated on a farm (which is one reason I identified with the thing when I read it when I was in the 7th or 8th ...more
Where all goes well 1 1 Mar 28, 2018 02:17AM

• The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume One, 1929-1964 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • Hellstrom's Hive
  • Flatlander
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II A (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2A)
  • Tales from the White Hart
  • The Sands of Mars
  • Robot Visions (Robot 0.5)
  • Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction
  • Ancient Civilizations of North America
  • The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton (Known Space)
  • The Godmakers
  • The Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Very Short Introduction
  • Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
  • Earth Is Room Enough
  • The Big Time
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)
  • Rigged: The True Story of an Ivy League Kid Who Changed the World of Oil, from Wall Street to Dubai
  • 1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into
“Everybody is equal. Everybody! That's the law."
"They are? Only from on top.”
7 likes