Start by marking “Intercultural Marriage: Promises & Pitfalls” as Want to Read:
Intercultural Marriage: Promises & Pitfalls

Intercultural Marriage: Promises & Pitfalls

Dugan Romano identifies nineteen troublespots and interweaves the lessons learned to deliver this 'reality check' for anyone already in or contemplating an intercultural marriage.
Paperback, Second Edition, 226 pages
Published March 26th 2001 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Intercultural Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intercultural Marriage

Start your review of Intercultural Marriage: Promises & Pitfalls
Kris
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you have not considered the issues in this book, you probably shouldn't be getting married. Also, it was sexist and some of the "examples" were just people being assholes, regardless of culture (e.g., the guy who kicks his children, and they beg their mother to stop interfering because it "just makes it worse"? Wtf?)

It did make me feel somewhat better because we've thought about all of these issues and don't have problems with most of them.
Mariah
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Gifted to me by friends when I got engaged, pretty straight forward about the pitfalls, etc. of marrying someone from another country. Written by someone who has experienced it and interviewed countless others who have, there were no huge revelations or secrets here, but it was good to consider some things that it brought up and I find myself going back to it every once in a while to see what it has to say about difficult situations or decisions.
Elina
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this in estonian and the translation wasn't very good, which was distracting. While the book did reaffirm some of my thoughts and feelings, I didn't really learn anything new and some of the things seemed pretty self-explanatory and not just for multicultural couples but couples in general.
Mia
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book truly helped me understand my own intercultural relationship. Reading it was like looking in a mirror.
T
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
J. Joan
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There really is very little in terms of a self-help book on this subject, so there is really little choice but this one book. Overall - it's interesting, but not very practical or helpful in terms of advice. The author primarily takes us through anecdotal "notes" based on a number of couples she's claimed to work with.

But the anecdotes are just that - you don't really get to know who the couples are, what they are about, what their circumstances were, whether they divorced or stayed together
April Yamasaki
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a helpful guide that discusses values, food, sex, male-female roles, raising children, communication, and other challenges identified by couples in intercultural marriages.

For a more complete review, please see http://aprilyamasaki.com/2012/10/15/i...
Barbara
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A solidly helpful book with central points illustrated with case studies of several couples with partners from several different countries. It offers common sense advice on basic things to be considered, and the real couples and their stories make it easier to see how it might apply.
T
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to buy. So many insightful questions. Made me ponder about what conversations to have, untold expectations that I didn't even know we're expectations. I love this book, and it belongs on my bookshelf!!!
Wael
May 08, 2018
Mona Wang
Nov 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• In Love But Worlds Apart: Insights, questions, and tips for the intercultural couple
  • The Trolley Problem, or Would You Throw the Fat Guy Off the Bridge?: A Philosophical Conundrum
  • The Usborne Big Book of Colors
  • Paint by Sticker Masterpieces: Re-create 12 Iconic Artworks One Sticker at a Time!
  • Thousand Star Hotel
  • Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Blabber Mouse
  • It's Not Fair!
  • What Does It Mean To Be Kind?