Start by marking “The Old Man And His God” as Want to Read:
The Old Man And His God

The Old Man And His God

As she goes about her work with the villagers, slum dwellers and the common men and women of India, Sudha Murty—writer, social worker and teacher—listens to them and records what they have to say. Their accounts of the struggles and hardships which they have at times overcome, and at other times been overwhelmed by, are put together in this book.
There are stories about peo
Published January 1st 2006 by Penguin

Start your review of The Old Man And His God
Jaanaki
Reading Sudha Murthy's writing has always been an enjoyable experience for me.She is one of the many women who inspire me.Her writing is simple,honest and very straightforward .There are no frills or fancy words ,but the content of her unforgettable stories always make the reader sit up and reflect .
This book is a collection of 25 stories ,each showcasing the different facets of human nature as experienced by Sudha Murthy in her interactions with people as chairperson of the Infosys foundation a
Saurabh Khetan
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all know that, sudha murthy is prolific writer with lucid writing skill. But i would like to add one more title for her, She is also a motivational writer who throw rays on rare visited area of life. She still focus on humanity and love for human and mankind. which is more important in days to day life.

After going through her novel The old man and his god. I come to learn the true meaning of life, There are lots to learn from this novel. not just charity nor just being kind. but being true to
Hirdesh
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Remarkable short stories ! !
Highly recommended for short stories lovers ! !

This is my second book from the Author but the glimpses of those non- fiction stories is hilarious.
This is the specialty of these stories, a reader would found the acknowledgment towards ethics and morals of life.

The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India by Sudha Murthy is the real spirit for the beloveds who love the stories and tales’ reading. This is not only the spirit for Indian but for the world aud
Balachander
I admire Sudha Murty's work as an entrepreneur, a social worker,a teacher, in technology etc. Bravo I say when I read about her work in helping tsunami survivors, or for the infosys foundation, for underprivileged children and more. When it comes to her writing, however, I am a bit confused. She comes with great credentials. Many books sold (I presume, since I keep seeing it on best seller lists), a national award (the "R.K.Narayan award for literature" no less)and writings in both fiction and n ...more
Padmaja (thebookishtales)
I am always enamoured by this lovely lady, Sudha Murty. If you're following me from a long time, you know I adore her and love reading her non fiction books which are about her experiences working for the Infosys foundation.
~
The stories in this book were an eclectic bunch and each had a moral and showed a different side of India.
As always, there are no fancy words and florid language used, it's simple and to the point. Experience teaches us much more in life and this is what exactly the book emp
Satyam Sai
A straight away torture on my lacrimal glands. Manipulated text aimed to fondle my heartstrings. Too good a portrait of India and even better of herself and her Infosys foundation. Too much awwww moments in today's words. Sri Sri Sudha Murty deserves a statue for what she is doing.....mostly by her advertisement manuals also known as her short stories.

Sowmya's book world
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every one
This book was a collection of many short stories related to Sudha Murty's life experience. Stories related to Friendship, sacrifices, love , marriage and lot more social aspects . I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ...more
Prem
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my first book penned by Sudha Murthy. She shares her perspective of incident, people she came across. In one story she play a role and in other she is observer of the incidents. Simple vocabulary. A feel good book.
Núria Costa
There are stories that are nice. But on total, it is not a great book. One can live without reading it.
Pooja
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-pages
A collection of stories that make you ponder, smile and are relatable to the common person.
Krutika Puranik
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
| Book Review | The Old Man And His God.

"When a doctor makes a mistake, a person goes six feet below the ground. When a judge makes a mistake, a person is hung six feet above the ground. But when a teacher makes a mistake, the entire batch of students is destroyed. Don’t ever look down on teachers." - Sudha Murty.

Sudha Murty has always been my absolute favourite and I have my reasons. Her stories are transparent and humble, just like her. Apart from being a stellar role model for lakhs of peop
Saiesha
Genre: non-ficition.
◆ a collection of short stories and by short, it really means short. Like very.
◆ the writing is very simple and nothing too elaborate. Sudha Murty keeps it minimal.
◆ the stories are beautiful indeed and makes you smile after reading them. (At least of them)
◆ my favorites were: A tale of two brothers, made in heaven, the line of separation, mother's love and sweet hospitality.
◆ I enjoyed reading the book because the stories were so heartwarming and eye-opening at some plac
Vinay Leo
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review @ A Lot of Pages: http://tiny.cc/pxuo1x

Simple stories from life told in a simple, direct and interesting manner. My favorite three from the book were, “The Old Man and his God”, “The Way You Look at It”, “A Tale of Two Brothers” and “The Deserving Candidate”. I’m not always in agreement with the views of Sudha Murty about her interpretations and such, but I feel that they are definitely worth reading.
Priyanka H
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember I'd got this book as an award for being an avid reader (I was the nerd who read the maximum number of books in my school library that year. Proud moments ^_^)
So yeah this book is great because for me it's a reminder of good old times. Some books have memories attached to them so even though the stories in this one might not be that great, I loved every second of reading this.
Theredheaded_Bibliomaniac
A wonderful collection of short stories as usual.. some are sad and emotional (might make you cry).. some will make you realise the other side of poverty and motherhood ..

And some will make you happy too..
Some will make you proud to be Indian..
Overall you will enjoy reading the collection, going through various feelings.
And all stories are real and simple writing style.
You will year for more of her works..
"Money is one thing which rarely unites and mostly divides people."
- Sudha Murthy, Ol
Punit
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the short stories by Sudha Murthy - they're full of wisdom that's acquired only through experience and observations. This falls in the same category.
I admire the moral in each story - all of them are relatable and written in a lucid language.
Anjali Jain
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anjali by: Prem
Somewhere between 2.5 to 3 stars

This was my second book by Sudha Murty.I have read Wise and Otherwise before this one and I pretty much enjoyed it; so when I was recommended this one, I was actually looking forward to read it.

Talking about the book, this one was also a collection of short stories which are nothing but the real life encounters, incidents and experiences of the author.The book had a total of 25 such small stories through which the author tries to give a moral in the end or shows t
Prashanthi Kadambi
Of late, I have been feeling guilty whenever I read. I should be working instead, I think. But today, the library in my apartment complex had opened up finally, and I was excited. There is an old world charm to libraries that I will never outgrow, and having one right where you live is such a privilege. I couldn't resist borrowing a book. Yet, the voice of guilt in my head was loud, and finally I settled upon this book, primarily because it was a hundred odd pages, and would take me a little mor ...more
Love Among the Bookshelves
I get goosebumps when I finish a Murty short story. I don’t understand how Murty manages to interlace so much impact and emotion in a story that is hardly 3-4 pages long. I feel unhappy when I approach the end of a Murty book because it is so hopeful and inspirational that to instantly detach from it and continue with the mundanities of life is a difficult task.

“The Old Man and his God” is an anthology of some thought-provoking real-life incidents and anecdotes from Murty’s own travel and life a
Lokesh Walase
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For detailed book-review, see my blog : http://miles_to_go.quora.com/Book-Rev...

From love to hatred and business to philanthropy, from freedom to injustice and selflessness to jealousy, from friendship to tragedy and spirituality to poverty ; every story of this book manifests a facet of human-life.

The Old Man And His God is a collection of short 25 real-life stories. During her career life and as a social worker, Sudha Murthy, meets several people with different backgrounds. Several small incid
Parth Agrawal
The Old Man and His God - A book by Sudha Murthy is a coalesce of her life instances depicting various human natures and her philanthrophic experiences.The author is an active memeber of Infosys foundation.This workpiece is emotional as well as motivational.From the many experiences of author there is at least one experience which the reader can relate to his life.

The book begins with the story of a poor couple residing in s village temple and the author visits them accidently. There conversatio
Em*bedded-in-books*
It was a lovely and heartwarming read. I loved it much much more than Sudha Murty's fiction novels. These are tiny, thought provoking, real life stories of people she encounter in her personal as well as public life. Each story/incident taught me something - the selfishness vs. selflessness of people, good natured deeds done without any expectations, sorrow and plight of ordinary people etc. It is a must read for everyone who likes incidents from real life. ...more
Ankita Agarwal
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A simple yet powerful compilation of short stories.Each story is different in its own way yet conveys a universal message.This book portrays a true picture of India, both city and village life.It shows the true character of people whom Sudha Murty has encountered in the course of her life.The selflessness and selfishness, compassion and cruelty, knowledge and ignorance all are shown distinctly.
A must read for everyone.
Sankalpita (bookGeeks India)
In “The Old Man and His God” she reflects upon various instances, chance meetings and experiences which she came across during the course of her life. And just as the blurb claims, the book is a mix bag of stories collected from a lifetime of experiences which delves upon the various..

Read the full review here - http://www.bookgeeks.in/entries/non-f...
Srujana
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that explains the truth of our very world.Sudha murty has written it in such a way that it can capture the minds of youths,especially indians.It explains a true human,a person with generosity,happiness,selfishness,disappointments,achievements and strugle.
Srinivasa Ramanujam
My first read of Sudha Murty. Certainly a good read. Some of the short stories are heart touching such as The business of philanthropy, Mother's love, The line of separation and the title story The old man & his God. ...more
Nishant Jha
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another slice-of-the-life read by Sudha Murty...just love her style of reading...all the stories are straight from the heart and can be easily related to...she definitely is one of my top-authors! 2 of her books are pending and can't stop to start reading them! ...more
Jalpan Soneji
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yesterday my mom brought this book from her school. I found this book in her bag. I started reding this book at 12 at night and complete it within a 2 hours. it is really a heart touching short experiences of Sudha Murty. We can learn so many things from this book.
okyrhoe
Jul 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, india
Regarding the donation of relief aid:
"When a disaster strikes an area, I have seen that often the actual population of that area almost doubles."
Sumit Gunjan

• The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad
  • Great Stories for Children
  • This Is Not Your Story
  • Mrs Funnybones
  • Dharmayoddha Kalki: Avatar Of Vishnu (Kalki #1)
  • The Blue Umbrella
  • Letters from Kargil: The Kargil War Through Our Soldiers’ Eyes
  • કૃષ્ણાયન
  • The Palace of Illusions
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int

News & Interviews

“Money is one thing which rarely unites and mostly divides people.” 11 likes
“A Cuckoo should never dance and a Peacock should not try to sing! (Acknowledge all the troubles and failures in our lives.)” 8 likes