Start by marking “The Old Man And His God” as Want to Read:
The Old Man And His God

The Old Man And His God

As she goes about her work with the villagers, slum dwellers and the common men and women of India, Sudha Murty—writer, social worker and teacher—listens to them and records what they have to say. Their accounts of the struggles and hardships which they have at times overcome, and at other times been overwhelmed by, are put together in this book.
There are stories about peo
Published January 1st 2006 by Penguin

Start your review of The Old Man And His God
Jaanaki
Reading Sudha Murthy's writing has always been an enjoyable experience for me.She is one of the many women who inspire me.Her writing is simple,honest and very straightforward .There are no frills or fancy words ,but the content of her unforgettable stories always make the reader sit up and reflect .
This book is a collection of 25 stories ,each showcasing the different facets of human nature as experienced by Sudha Murthy in her interactions with people as chairperson of the Infosys foundation a
Saurabh Khetan
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all know that, sudha murthy is prolific writer with lucid writing skill. But i would like to add one more title for her, She is also a motivational writer who throw rays on rare visited area of life. She still focus on humanity and love for human and mankind. which is more important in days to day life.

After going through her novel The old man and his god. I come to learn the true meaning of life, There are lots to learn from this novel. not just charity nor just being kind. but being true to
Padmaja
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always enamoured by this lovely lady, Sudha Murty. If you're following me from a long time, you know I adore her and love reading her non fiction books which are about her experiences working for the Infosys foundation.
~
The stories in this book were an eclectic bunch and each had a moral and showed a different side of India.
As always, there are no fancy words and florid language used, it's simple and to the point. Experience teaches us much more in life and this is what exactly the book emp
Prem
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my first book penned by Sudha Murthy. She shares her perspective of incident, people she came across. In one story she play a role and in other she is observer of the incidents. Simple vocabulary. A feel good book.
Balachander
I admire Sudha Murty's work as an entrepreneur, a social worker,a teacher, in technology etc. Bravo I say when I read about her work in helping tsunami survivors, or for the infosys foundation, for underprivileged children and more. When it comes to her writing, however, I am a bit confused. She comes with great credentials. Many books sold (I presume, since I keep seeing it on best seller lists), a national award (the "R.K.Narayan award for literature" no less)and writings in both fiction and n ...more
Sowmya's book world
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every one
This book was a collection of many short stories related to Sudha Murty's life experience. Stories related to Friendship, sacrifices, love , marriage and lot more social aspects . I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Pooja
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-pages
A collection of stories that make you ponder, smile and are relatable to the common person.
Krutika Puranik
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
| Book Review | The Old Man And His God.

"When a doctor makes a mistake, a person goes six feet below the ground. When a judge makes a mistake, a person is hung six feet above the ground. But when a teacher makes a mistake, the entire batch of students is destroyed. Don’t ever look down on teachers." - Sudha Murty.

Sudha Murty has always been my absolute favourite and I have my reasons. Her stories are transparent and humble, just like her. Apart from being a stellar role model for lakhs of peop
Vinay Leo
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review @ A Lot of Pages: http://tiny.cc/pxuo1x

Simple stories from life told in a simple, direct and interesting manner. My favorite three from the book were, “The Old Man and his God”, “The Way You Look at It”, “A Tale of Two Brothers” and “The Deserving Candidate”. I’m not always in agreement with the views of Sudha Murty about her interpretations and such, but I feel that they are definitely worth reading.
Priyanka H
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember I'd got this book as an award for being an avid reader (I was the nerd who read the maximum number of books in my school library that year. Proud moments ^_^)
So yeah this book is great because for me it's a reminder of good old times. Some books have memories attached to them so even though the stories in this one might not be that great, I loved every second of reading this.
Satyam Sai
A straight away torture on my lacrimal glands. Manipulated text aimed to fondle my heartstrings. Too good a portrait of India and even better of herself and her Infosys foundation. Too much awwww moments in today's words. Sri Sri Sudha Murty deserves a statue for what she is doing.....mostly by her advertisement manuals also known as her short stories.

Núria Costa
There are stories that are nice. But on total, it is not a great book. One can live without reading it.
Saiesha Hinge
Genre: non-ficition.
◆ a collection of short stories and by short, it really means short. Like very.
◆ the writing is very simple and nothing too elaborate. Sudha Murty keeps it minimal.
◆ the stories are beautiful indeed and makes you smile after reading them. (At least of them)
◆ my favorites were: A tale of two brothers, made in heaven, the line of separation, mother's love and sweet hospitality.
◆ I enjoyed reading the book because the stories were so heartwarming and eye-opening at some plac
Punit
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the short stories by Sudha Murthy - they're full of wisdom that's acquired only through experience and observations. This falls in the same category.
I admire the moral in each story - all of them are relatable and written in a lucid language.
Anjali Jain
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anjali by: Prem
Somewhere between 2.5 to 3 stars

This was my second book by Sudha Murty.I have read Wise and Otherwise before this one and I pretty much enjoyed it; so when I was recommended this one, I was actually looking forward to read it.

Talking about the book, this one was also a collection of short stories which are nothing but the real life encounters, incidents and experiences of the author.The book had a total of 25 such small stories through which the author tries to give a moral in the end or shows t
Lokesh Walase
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For detailed book-review, see my blog : http://miles_to_go.quora.com/Book-Rev...

From love to hatred and business to philanthropy, from freedom to injustice and selflessness to jealousy, from friendship to tragedy and spirituality to poverty ; every story of this book manifests a facet of human-life.

The Old Man And His God is a collection of short 25 real-life stories. During her career life and as a social worker, Sudha Murthy, meets several people with different backgrounds. Several small incid
Parth Agrawal
The Old Man and His God - A book by Sudha Murthy is a coalesce of her life instances depicting various human natures and her philanthrophic experiences.The author is an active memeber of Infosys foundation.This workpiece is emotional as well as motivational.From the many experiences of author there is at least one experience which the reader can relate to his life.

The book begins with the story of a poor couple residing in s village temple and the author visits them accidently. There conversatio
Ankita Agarwal
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A simple yet powerful compilation of short stories.Each story is different in its own way yet conveys a universal message.This book portrays a true picture of India, both city and village life.It shows the true character of people whom Sudha Murty has encountered in the course of her life.The selflessness and selfishness, compassion and cruelty, knowledge and ignorance all are shown distinctly.
A must read for everyone.
Sankalpita (bookGeeks India)
In “The Old Man and His God” she reflects upon various instances, chance meetings and experiences which she came across during the course of her life. And just as the blurb claims, the book is a mix bag of stories collected from a lifetime of experiences which delves upon the various..

Read the full review here - http://www.bookgeeks.in/entries/non-f...
Jalpan Soneji
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yesterday my mom brought this book from her school. I found this book in her bag. I started reding this book at 12 at night and complete it within a 2 hours. it is really a heart touching short experiences of Sudha Murty. We can learn so many things from this book.
Srinivasa Ramanujam
My first read of Sudha Murty. Certainly a good read. Some of the short stories are heart touching such as The business of philanthropy, Mother's love, The line of separation and the title story The old man & his God. ...more
Srujana
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that explains the truth of our very world.Sudha murty has written it in such a way that it can capture the minds of youths,especially indians.It explains a true human,a person with generosity,happiness,selfishness,disappointments,achievements and strugle.
Nishant Jha
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another slice-of-the-life read by Sudha Murty...just love her style of reading...all the stories are straight from the heart and can be easily related to...she definitely is one of my top-authors! 2 of her books are pending and can't stop to start reading them!
Neeraj
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has penned down a nice collection of anecdotes describing people and situations she has encountered mostly while doing social service
Vignesh
Moral stories . Good one !
okyrhoe
Jul 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, india
Regarding the donation of relief aid:
"When a disaster strikes an area, I have seen that often the actual population of that area almost doubles."
Ramita
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very much inspiring book.
Sumit Gunjan
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on Sudha murty's life experiences...
Shilpa
Amidst all the craziness.. hope that may be the world is not such a crappy place keeps us alive.. and when it happens to be crappy.. the hope that we can make it better too can dive in! :)
Check out my full review of "The Old Man and His God" by Sudha Murty! Click on the link below! :)

Saahithi Reddy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading her book feels so refreshing. The stories reflect her sensitivity about her experiences and make you reflect at your own. They are so simple, practical and to the point. It reminds one of bed time stories that grandparents tell kids. They are soothing, easily relatable and help in forming one's moral personality.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Rudest Book Ever
  • स्वामी
  • Ahalya's Awakening
  • Letters from Kargil: The Kargil War Through Our Soldiers’ Eyes
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • My Journey : Transforming Dreams into Actions
  • Half Girlfriend
  • Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int

News & Interviews

“Money is one thing which rarely unites and mostly divides people.” 10 likes
“A Cuckoo should never dance and a Peacock should not try to sing! (Acknowledge all the troubles and failures in our lives.)” 7 likes