Start by marking “Miss Fannie's Hat” as Want to Read:
Miss Fannie's Hat

Miss Fannie's Hat

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  585 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Miss Fannie is ninety-nine years old. And very small. In fact, she's grown to be about the same size she was as a little girl. Miss Fannie has lots of hats. And each one is her favorite. But when she gives up her very favorite hat, the famous pink straw with roses, to help raise money in the church auction, Miss Fannie -- and the reader -- is in for a real treat.Readers yo ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Augsburg Fortress Publishing (first published March 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Fannie's Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Fannie's Hat

Joy Gerbode
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a especially fun story about a lady and her hats. And about giving, and how good it can feel to give. I love this little story, and am so glad I decided to try some of Jan Karon's children's books!
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best children book ever, right Honor?
Debbie Stubbs
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite childrens book.
Ali Smith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Miss Fannie had a closet full of hats she collected throughout the year, and each one had a story behind it. But, her most favorite of all was the pink had with pink roses. Everyone admired the hat, as she wore it to Easter Sunday for the past 35 years. One day, the preacher asked Miss Fannie to donate one of her hats to the auction to raise money for the church. She had a difficult time choosing which one, but prayed about it and ultimately picked one. At the auction, her pink had with ...more
Becky
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this one a long time ago. I used to work at a Waldenbooks in college and I was in charge of the children's section, so I got to know all sorts of children's books. Unfortunately, I didn't have kids and I wasn't a teacher...yet. So I would simply stockpile books for future occassions of having children or teaching school. This was one that I couldn't resist.

I chose to add this to my reviews because of the Easter theme towards the end of the book. Miss Fannie is a 99 year old woman. She l
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my 3rd grade host teacher's class library. It's a great story about not only giving, but giving your best to those around you. Miss Fannie's colorful and shapely hats decorate the pages of this book and would be a great math lesson for kindergarten or maybe even 1st. Students can count how many hats they see through out the book or even try to sort them by color. There's one page in the book in which Miss Fannie has all of her hats laid out; that would make for a good page ...more
Donna
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was Isabella's very favorite book to read when she would come to visit us as a little girl. Now, Bonnie loves it. I never get tired of reading it to her. I would highly recommend it to all of you with little girls in your family and will be surprised if it doesn't end up being one of their favorites.
Lora
This book is one of my new favorite children's books. It reminded so much of some of the little old ladies I knew growing up. It also made me remember how much I love the South in the Spring. I can't wait for it to come this year! The writing, the story, and the message were also fabulous. Happy reading!
Mary Goutermont
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This children's book by Jan Karon is so sweet and will give all who read it much pleasure and surprises. Miss Fannie is 99 years old and loves hats and each of her hats are her favorites. You will be taken unawares by the unexpected story that comes from Miss Fannie's Hats.
Nancy
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to add this book because I love it so much. I still get choked up when I read it. I gave it to Izzie for her 3rd Baptismal B-day. These gifts are simple and have a religous base. this book fits so well. Read it and give it as a gift if you have a young one in your life.
Paige Smith
This is a great book that shows the importance of being selfless and caring about others. It has religious themes so it probably could not be encouraged in a public school, but its themes are important even without the references to the Bible and faith.
Brenda
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic little book that reminds us of the proper value of things (even well-loved things) when compared with virtues like generosity, selflessness, and kindness! Makes a great Sunday School lesson!
Tessa
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
This is a wonderfully sweet book with a great message of personal history, family, service and generosity. I must admit to being a Jan Karon fan but I think anyone with a grandma or roses or a love of hats or just a penchant for a really lovely read will enjoy this book.
meg
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
while this is a kids book i loved it. miss fannie is a lover of hats and is asked by her church to donate one for a church auction to repair some items. while my grandma wasn't a hat wearer, so much of miss fannie reminds me of how she was. i believe this will be a book i buy at some point.
Shannon
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun story. My little girl loved looking at all those hats!
Karen Dwyer
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my two favorite children's books ever! Miss Fanny and Miss Wanda reminded me of my own Grandmother and Aunt.
Diane Wachter
Juv Bk. 99 year old Miss Fannie gives up her favorite hat to help raise money for her church and receives an unexpected reward. Cute.
Amy
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I discovered this book three summers ago when working at a daycare centre. Loved it so much that I went online and bought a new-used copy. Someday, I hope to share it with children of my own.
Linda Quarne-Hartman
my mother in law gave this to my children for christmas ....a beautiful book with a great lesson...i cry every time i read it...
Katherine Pershey
I adored this book. The same sweet quality that doesn't do it for me in her grown up books makes me all weepy in a children's book.
Cathy Hooper
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my granddaughters favorite stories! Miss Fannie is a hoot! Everyone should be so lucky to have someone like her in their family!
Becca
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and sweet with a fantastic message. Makes me think of my own dear grandma. This book chokes me up every time.
S.j.reads
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the pictures in this book, and the story is delightful. I really enjoyed the message behind the story. A good book for everyone, especially little girls who love to play dress-up too.
srhedrick1
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A really sweet book about giving. I'm a softie, so I get choked up every time. Comes with an audio CD of the author reading the book, and stickers.
Nancy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful!
Kaylie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favorite picture book!!!
Jillain Foreman
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It made me want to go out and buy hats!
Kate
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books, it's such a lovely book about giving.
Diane
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have read this delightful book over and over.
Teresa Merriman
Such a sweet and precious book!!!
  • Violet Goes to the Country (Cynthia Coppersmith's Violet, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Fancy Day in Room 1-A
  • Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster
  • Family Huddle
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message
  • Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • The Charmed Bracelet (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #7)
  • The Tale of Tricky Fox
  • Max's Dragon
  • Get Lost!
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for