Start by marking “Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book” as Want to Read:
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,546 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
With little skill, surprisingly few ingredients, and even the most unsophisticated of ice-cream makers, you can make the scrumptious ice creams that have made Ben & Jerry's an American legend. Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book tells fans the story behind the company and the two men who built it-from their first meeting in 7th-grade gym class (they ...more
Published May 5th 1987 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1987)

Carol
Jun 15, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Good, basic book for beginner ice-cream cooks. It has 3 very easy base recipes followed with tons of great concoctions. For the most part, the recipes are mostly add-ins to the bases, so it's nothing the average bear couldn't figure out. However, they are given in the correct proportion to create some pretty fabulous flavor concoctions without ending up with a mass of sweet goo that won't set up. i.e. too much liquor or even cookie chunks at the wrong time can cause disaster.

I have no doubt the
Erin
Jan 05, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to get into making your own ice cream. I purchased this book to find some basic and easy recipes for making ice cream with my new KitchenAid stand mixer. This book delivers that and a lot more.

The first section of the book gives some background on how Ben and Jerry got started in the ice cream business. Then it goes into the science of what makes a good ice cream, so that you understand what is happening during the churning process and can use that knowledge to make up
Negin
Apr 11, 2016 Negin rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I first visited the U.S. twenty-nine years ago. At the time, the places that I happened to visit didn’t have any Ben & Jerry’s stores and I didn’t see their ice cream anywhere. Seeing this ice cream recipe book was the first time I heard about them. I read this cover-to-cover back then and had so much fun with my mom trying out many recipes in the few months that I had with my parents before returning to the U.S. to start college.

My husband just got me a fabulous new
Rachel
Dec 31, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Seriously, if you are into making ice cream or want to make your own ice cream, you have to read this book. I made ice cream and it was crystally and froze solid and wasn't good and then I actually sat down and read this book and about the science behind making good ice cream and my ice cream has been fantastic since then and I haven't tried a recipe from the book that I didn't like.
Robin
Jan 13, 2012 Robin rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Wow - you don't think the 1980s were that long ago until you read a cookbook where every recipe involves consuming raw eggs. If you want to learn how to make homemade ice cream, skip this and buy something written in the last few years.
Leah Clayton
Dec 27, 2015 Leah Clayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I just wish I had some ice cream!

I loved reading the anecdotes throughout this cookbook. They have quite a few good tips on how to make your homemade ice cream a success.
Claire
Jan 30, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
Amazing and easy ice cream. Mint Oreo is the clear winner in this household!
Jaime
Feb 04, 2008 Jaime rated it it was amazing
I have a new ice cream maker (thanks, mom?) and these guys make it seem do-able.
Becky H.
Jun 13, 2017 Becky H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017, food
Starting with a few base recipes this book shares the extras to add in to make many yummy flavors. Includes historical information on how they started their business and how they come up with their unique flavors.
Autumn
Ben. Jerry. Ice cream. How can you go wrong?
Shannon
Feb 23, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ice cream lovers, dessert lovers, amateur dessert chefs
Recommended to Shannon by: No one
Amazing! My favourite ice cream brand divulging their tried-and-true recipes! Many of Ben & Jerry's best varieties are here, along with some great baked goods and sundae ideas. But there's plenty of information to allow for some creative combinations of your own. I'm already working on one to reflect some of the unique flavours my hometown is known for (lobster sorbet anyone?).

Yes, there are raw eggs and raw batter galore, but my (very uneducated) understanding is that the risk of salmonella
Cordelia R. Fleischmann
Lost memories rediscovered

I purchased the softcover edition years ago and it went away as an accompaniment to a small ice cream freezer bowl. I always missed it, but never had time to make ice cream then. Now I have a small refrigerator-type ice cream maker, and use my kindle for most books. I was delighted to see this book again in a kindle unlimited edition. I rented it, and read through it this morning. Subsequently, it be same a purchase. The manner in which this book is assembled is perfect
Tori
Aug 11, 2016 Tori added it
Yesterday I made the Coffee Heath Bar Crunch and it was a huge hit with everyone! I'm a complete novice to ice cream making, and this book is very easy to follow. Plus, it's Ben and Jerry's, which means it includes recipes for some of their popular flavors, like Cherry Garcia for example. (My only slight disappointment is that there isn't a recipe for Chunkey Monkey. Was it even around when this was published?) It's also really cool how they tell a brief story about their lives and how they got ...more
Christopher Tang
Jun 14, 2013 Christopher Tang rated it liked it
A good basic book and if I had read it first (or if it came with my ice cream maker) then I would have enjoyed it more. There are a handful of very good books about ice cream and then there are many books that are just lists of recipes. This is the latter kind. While it is good if you want to get certain Ben & Jerry's recipes "just right", I found it was overall not worth it.

Where are the secret recipes they can't do in groceries stores because of alcohol (there is only one, beer sorbet). Wh
Laila
An entertaining read in a dessert cookbook which is [obviously] focused on ice cream.

This cookbook by Ben and Jerry contains recipes to their popular ice creams, reveals secrets and tidbits to making homemade ice cream, and shares their story and background. The only disappointment in this book was that a newer edition was not made available (this book having been published in 1987). Nevertheless, the recipes were easy to follow, their story was informative and amusing, and their notations were
Jamie Awamleh
Apr 16, 2015 Jamie Awamleh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream Bible

If you have ever found yourself addicted to one particular or yet another Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor, this is the book for you. These two, life-long friends have graciously given us their prized recipes, .more than that, they have added their personal experiences and wisdom to many of the recipes. The stories are wonderful and of course, humorous, but most importantly, valuable to either professional chef or dessert enthusiast. This book is w
Sue
Mar 01, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Simple recipes that produce perfect ice cream every time, as long as using raw eggs doesn't freak you out. (If it does, you can use pasteurized eggs.) I usually add a little cream cheese, salt, and xanthan gum to these recipes and the ice cream is nice and scoop-able after hard freezing. Wish there were some frozen yogurt recipes… I'm still working on getting real good FroYo from my ice cream maker.

Join my homemade ice cream discussion group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/27031...
adri patamoma
Dec 15, 2011 adri patamoma rated it liked it
não é que este livro seja ruim... ele é bem caprichado e legal de ler, e conta com o humor bacana do ben e do jerry! mas depois de ler o livro de sorvetes do david lebowitz, este perde o propósito e parece simples demais, sem as dicas preciosas e necessárias pra conseguir um sorvete espetacular. vale mais pelas estorinhas do que pelas receitas! e olha que sou muito fã dos sorvetes do ben & jerry's, hein? mas com as receitas deles, os sorvetes não ficam legais -- falta alguma coisa, que não s ...more
Jeffrey Sherman
Jul 27, 2016 Jeffrey Sherman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing recipes

If you want to make home made ice cream that will make your friends and family think you are a genius, this is the book. The ice cream comes out perfect and freezes amazingly soft and fluffy. I use a Cuisinart ice cream maker and follow the recipes to the "t". Best ice cream I have ever had. Much better than store bought. I dare say you will be tempted to enter your finished product into contests. Ha ha ;).
emily
Mar 27, 2007 emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ice cream lovers
oh my goodness--hello homemade ice cream:-) the sweet cream base is my best friend. my sister-in-law got me this book for christmas after my parents gave me the kitchen aid mixer with the ice cream maker attachment. i've been an ice cream extrordinaire ever since. you'll never need to go out again after you've made these recipes at home.
Paula
Jun 17, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I read this a long time ago, back when I lived with Kevin & Pam, so this was my first ice cream cookbook experience. I learned that drinking coffee in summer and eating ice cream in winter are both appropriate and can even help regulate your body's temperature, or something like that.

The famous Cherry Garcia ice cream I made for bookclub that time was from a recipe on the internet though.
Kari
Jul 03, 2009 Kari rated it really liked it
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made the homemade chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches so far, and I just can't wait to try more, but I have to put in some serious workout time first.
Cheryl Bright
Apr 27, 2008 Cheryl Bright rated it it was amazing
If you make ice cream this book is great. I've tried lots of recipes from it. I've also learned a lot about the "theory" of ice cream making so I have been able to make up lots of my own creations. Yummy!
Saleris
May 29, 2011 Saleris rated it really liked it
A lovely book for anyone that loves icecream.
I like Ben and Jerry's (not sure how the takeover will affect them in the future, but it's working so far) and I'm happy to say that this book follows the corporate image they had at the time the book was put out. It's cheerful and fun.
Jenna
Feb 03, 2015 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
Want to make amazing ice cream? Read this book. That's really all you need to know. Yes, many of the recipes call for raw eggs. I might complain if I get salmonella, but in the meantime, hot damn, that's some good (and dead simple!) ice cream.
Crystal
Nov 26, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Super delightful recipes, easy to make and gives a few different examples of an ice cream base with which you can experiment making your own flavors. Also includes some traditional Ben and Jerry's flavors!
Cynthia
Aug 22, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
The absolute best ice cream book I've read. And I've read a lot of them. The recipes are mostly simple with a lot of variations on inclusions. Jerry's chocolate ice cream is the best chocolate ice cream I've ever tasted.
Golden
Sep 02, 2010 Golden rated it really liked it
Great for a lover of Ben & Jerry's and first time ice cream maker owner. Easy, yummy recipes nothing too complicated. Not encyclopedic but gives you a good soid understanding of basic building blocks of ice cream.
Paola
Jul 08, 2014 Paola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Their story is awesome. Its worth reading.
Andy
Sep 16, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
My pants began shrinking after a few weeks of using this book. Every recipe has been great. I just made up a delicious batch of fresh peach.
  • The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • Cupcakes!: From the Cake Mix Doctor
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Italian Grill
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special
  • The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Cake Love: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch