Start by marking “Ben Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream Dessert Book” as Want to Read:
Ben  Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream  Dessert Book

Ben Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream Dessert Book

With little skill, surprisingly few ingredients, and even the most unsophisticated of ice-cream makers, you can make the scrumptious ice creams that have made Ben & Jerry's an American legend.Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book tells fans the story behind the company and the two men who built it-from their first meeting in 7th-grade gym class (they ...more
Published May 5th 1987 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1987)

Start your review of Ben Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream Dessert Book
Sophie Crane
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, favorites
It Has Some Good Recipes With Your Favourite Ben 'n' Jerry's Ice Creams
Alicia Bayer
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes -- gasp -- one of the base recipes uses raw eggs and doesn't temper them. That's the dangerous 80's for you, when we left kids in cars when we ran into the store, went outside without sunscreen and we made things with unpasteurized eggs. Yes Janet, life's pretty cheap for that type. ;) (Ten points if you get the quote.) And no, there's no nutritional information (trust me, you really don't want to know). But if you want easy, decadent ice cream recipes from the guys who invented the ...more
Carol
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Good, basic book for beginner ice-cream cooks. It has 3 very easy base recipes followed with tons of great concoctions. For the most part, the recipes are mostly add-ins to the bases, so it's nothing the average bear couldn't figure out. However, they are given in the correct proportion to create some pretty fabulous flavor concoctions without ending up with a mass of sweet goo that won't set up. i.e. too much liquor or even cookie chunks at the wrong time can cause disaster.

I have no doubt
Erin
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to get into making your own ice cream. I purchased this book to find some basic and easy recipes for making ice cream with my new KitchenAid stand mixer. This book delivers that and a lot more.

The first section of the book gives some background on how Ben and Jerry got started in the ice cream business. Then it goes into the science of what makes a good ice cream, so that you understand what is happening during the churning process and can use that knowledge to make up
Negin
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this book when I first visited the U.S. twenty-nine years ago. At the time, the places that I happened to visit didn’t have any Ben & Jerry’s stores and I didn’t see their ice cream anywhere. Seeing this ice cream recipe book was the first time I heard about them. I read this cover-to-cover back then and had so much fun with my mom trying out many recipes in the few months that I had with my parents before returning to the U.S. to start college.

My husband just got me a fabulous new
Kathy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm the new owner of an ice cream maker. I recently conquered Vanilla so I'm ready for adventures and experimenting. This book is chock full of great ideas plus fun anecdotes.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, if you are into making ice cream or want to make your own ice cream, you have to read this book. I made ice cream and it was crystally and froze solid and wasn't good and then I actually sat down and read this book and about the science behind making good ice cream and my ice cream has been fantastic since then and I haven't tried a recipe from the book that I didn't like.
Deb
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun background story on the company and scoops of good recipes to try. Homemade ice cream does not taste like store ice cream. All natural ingredients make a difference. Heavenly.

I don't know if I'm glad they didn't put calorie counts and portion sizes in the book. ; )
Robin
Jan 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Wow - you don't think the 1980s were that long ago until you read a cookbook where every recipe involves consuming raw eggs. If you want to learn how to make homemade ice cream, skip this and buy something written in the last few years.
Jaime
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have a new ice cream maker (thanks, mom?) and these guys make it seem do-able.
Leah Clayton
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I just wish I had some ice cream!

I loved reading the anecdotes throughout this cookbook. They have quite a few good tips on how to make your homemade ice cream a success.
Claire
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and easy ice cream. Mint Oreo is the clear winner in this household!
Stephen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book ought not be the only book on ice-cream making in one's culinary library. It is a delight to read the story of the early days of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream in a converted gasoline station in Burlington, Vermont. But the little book has many flaws. It fails to insist that eggs used in preparing batches of ice cream be heated sufficiently to kill the bacteria sometimes present in eggs. It assumes a hand-cranked salted-ice ice-cream maker rather than ...more
George Lichman
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
This book is a combination of a short story about the friendship, founding, and growth of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, a short tutorial on ice cream making, and recipes for dozens of ice creams, sorbets, and other desserts.

It was an easy, interesting read that made the rise of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream likely seem much simpler and easier than it actually was. The recipes, however, are the real deal and will provide any home ice cream maker a challenge or two.

It would have been nice if there
Elaine
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many great varieties of ice cream, along with the Ben & Jerry's story of how they started up, with some informative text about ice cream ingredients. We've tried 3 recipes in the last 2 weeks, and look forward to many more! (The ice cream recipes are for about 1 quart, which is just a little too much for our ice cream maker, so we will be making pints from now on, but that means we'd be able to try more flavors instead of making more of fewer flavors.)
MisLuck
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can make the legendary ice creams yourself and delicious cookies and goods too. Or just eat the dough. Or put it in ice cream like maybe originally supposed to.
The recipes needs converting the ingredient amounts to grams/dl but it's not too hard of a work. Play by the book and it really is worth it.
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The recipes in this cook book are easy to follow, even if you have zero cooking experience. You just need an ice cream maker and access to a good grocery store with a lot of variety to acquire some of the ingredients – this is great if you are looking for something other than your usual vanilla / chocolate or plain ice cream recipes.
Becky H.
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, 2017, non-fiction
Starting with a few base recipes this book shares the extras to add in to make many yummy flavors. Includes historical information on how they started their business and how they come up with their unique flavors.
James Douglas
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best desert book ever! I will have fun this summer

I stumbled on to this book and I am very happy and surprised. Ben & Jerry's has always been my favorite and now I get to make some of their best ice creams myself.
Me
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting cookbook that also provides a history of the Ben & Jerry's company. Recipes for ice cream (of course) but also sauces, and other desserts. The art of making ice cream is explained in layman's terms and the recipes look scrumptious.
Benjamin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book with very rich, creamy recipes.

Especially chocolate recipes are great

careful:
you need a really cold icecream maker. The cheap ones with a icepack that you have to put into the fridge will not work well.
Suzanne Youngblood
Yum

I purchased an ice cream machine recently and I bought this to have some different recipes. I have already made a few of them and so far my favorite is the kiwifruit sorbet.
Sissi DK
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That book is awesome. Great recipes - three bases and plenty of "add- ons"as well as ideas for ice cream cakes, drinks and more. Last but not least, written with great humor. I loved it.
Jim Gatteys
if you enjoy cooking and ice cream you will like this book. I've made several of the recipes and they all turned out fine.
Thomas
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful (and decadent) recipes
Kate
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is dangerous knowledge.
Jessica Welser
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now i just need an ice cream machine
Carole
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Ideas for James' confectionary creations.
I will photocopy the "base ice creams".
Mildly interesting to read the history of how the company started.
Karen Trogdon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book

Nice to read a success story. I would certainly recommend it to any one who wants to make great home made ice cream.

Isobel Allegra
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute stories, yummy recipes

This was a fun read! I enjoyed learning Ben & Jerry’s origin story, and all the recipes seem pretty straightforward.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Einkorn: Recipes for Nature's Original Wheat
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • The Bread Bible
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
  • Cake Pops: Tips, Tricks, and Recipes for More Than 40 Irresistible Mini Treats
  • The New Best Recipe
  • The New Food Lover's Tiptionary: More Than 6,000 Food and Drink Tips, Secrets, Shortcuts, and Other Things Cookbooks Never Tell You
  • The Steal Like an Artist Journal: A Notebook for Creative Kleptomaniacs
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • Bochy Ball! The Chemistry of Winning and Losing in Baseball, Business, and Life
  • EveryDayCook
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Conspiracy Girl