Start by marking “Wine For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Wine For Dummies

Wine For Dummies

(Dummies)

Savor the glories of the grape in this all-new, revised and updated edition of the best-selling Wine For Dummies. Even if you've never sipped a glass of wine in your life, a wonderful world is awaiting as you find out how to taste wine, what types of grapes are used in the wine-making process, and how wines are named. A little knowledge, say husband-and-wife authors Ed McC ...more
Published September 16th 1998 by For Dummies (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Wine For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wine For Dummies

Penelope Douglas
A good comprehensive guide, liked the humor, and the narrator was easy to listen to. Learned that there actually is a reason to sniff, swirl, and let wines breathe. If not for this guide, I would've dumped out a whole bottle Precipice Pinot Noir after the first sip. It tasted so much better after an hour of letting it breathe. Also learned a lot about champagne that I didn't know, like how "sparkling wine" IS champagne that's not produced in Champagne, France. I thought they were different. Mind ...more
Jeremy Taylor
Overall this is a good book, worthy of a four star review. The reason for my two star review is because of Chapter 7, Confronting a Restaurant Wine List. This is the one chapter that obviously is written by people who don't have experience in the area they are talking about and didn't bother to consult with people who do before making some bold assumptions. This chapter is full of misinformation, negative assumptions, and directions on how to conduct yourself in a restaurant that if followed, ma ...more
Wanny Dorrejo
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esto de disfruta el vino es todo un arte.

Ame este libo que me lleno de cultura sin esperarlo y que me enseña el arte que viven los enologoz en su ardua labor, el vino no tiene truco, ni reglas, solo tenemos que aprender a disfrutar el vino en cada momento.
Michael Huang
[Book rec. from R. Sterling in "How to Eat around the world"]
Rachel
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
Wine for Dummies is a great book for both the experienced and novice wine drinker. The Introduction goes through how the book is organized and which parts of the book should be read, depending on what the reader is interested in. Pretty much every aspect of wine is covered -grape varieties, how wine is made and regulated in various countries, how to read a wine label or restaurant wine list, and much more. The really technical information is labeled as such and can easily be skipped.

I liked that
Wira Rohandi
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I only drink Champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty." - Madame Lily Bollinger
Lisa
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed with good information. Will make a better as need-to-know resource rather than sit down and read cover to cover.
Steven Peterson
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "For Dummies" series has been an intriguing enterprise. The use of the term "Dummies" could be considered offputting--yet the series has obviously done well, as more and more volumes are developed. I have found many of the books useful to me. And this is another in that group.

I know enough about wine to get by. This volume, though, adds a context to my knowledge of wine that I appreciate. The purpose is presented at the outset (Page 1): "We want you and everyone else to enjoy wine. . .--rega
Kimberly
This is a brief introduction to wine for people who normally drink beer, from what glass to use to how to describe flavors this book will help you fake knowledge about wine. Made for the American market for American wine drinkers with only a nod to the most famous European wines, the focus is on Californian wines and Oregon (Really, Oregon? I had no idea they made wine in Oregon). This book will appeal to anyone looking to appear knowledgeable about wine.

We listened to the book while driving fro
Gregor Erbach
Feb 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Wein für Dummies eignet sich sehr gut als erster Einstieg in das Thema Wein. Die wichtigsten Begriffe werden erläutert, und es gibt viele praktische Tips zum Thema Wein auswählen, kaufen, probieren, und lagern, sowie Hintergrundinformationen zu Rebsorten und Weinherstellung. Die wichtigsten Weinbaugebiete der Welt werden vorgestellt, teilweise mit vielen Details zu einzelnen Rebsorten und Produzenten. Zum Teil wirkt das Buch etwas unausgewogen; Frankreich und Kalifornien werden ausführlich präse ...more
Alexis
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is a great primer for anyone who wants to learn more about wines and wine terminology. I learned some interesting things and this book explains things clearly and succinctly.

The one thing I realized while reading this is that I actually don't care that much. There are other things in the world that are much more interesting to me.
MÉYO
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-drink
I read this fascinating book during my wine drinking phase.
Reshma Patel
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad got this book for me as a joke because he knows how much I love my wine. lol I actually ended up reading it and glad I did. I have an even greater appreciation for wine... there is so much to know! It is really easy to read, and I especially liked learning about the different types of wine made all over the world. There is something in here for every level, whether you're a novice or a connoisseur.
Tiago Soares
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a wine producer it is important for me not only to know about the type of wines I produce, but also to have knowledge about other wine making regions.

This book delivers great content; easy to read, sometimes funny, and like the title suggest, for dummies.

If you are slightly interested in knowing about regions and some other curiosities about winemaking, this is a good read.
Denise
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I started to get serious about wines and it was great. Easy to read, interesting, and very enjoyable. My favorite thing was learning all the correct pronunciations... nobody wants to be that person at a fancy wine gathering!
Adrian
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social
Everything I expected in a primer. Just in time to get my snob on at the holiday parties.
Shawn P
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Finally finished this multi-month reading project! Probably my most ambitious self-learning initiative since my business Chinese courses. Now I can tell "body" from "finish"...
Joseph Frazier
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, entertaining and great for a new wine drinker who wishes to learn about all type's of wine.
Sean
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear cut wine insight & practical advise.
Christina Marcon
Good! I learned some new things and it was really easy reading!
Adam Rabiner
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You generally know what you are getting with the "Dummies" series. No fancy illustrations or photographs (though a whole slew of icons 7 icons with various meanings: Real Deal, Remember, Worth the Search, Snob Alert, etc. I have always found these books well written by experts and unpretentious. While I may not like the look of the generic yellow covers, I appreciate the fact that the bland appearance and lack of high production values of these books keeps the price down. When I I've looked to b ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good basic overview of wine and wine purchasing. The book focuses mostly on what labels tell you, myths of wine, and the vocabulary behind the subject.

Critics of the book have pointed out that the authors spend a lot of time focused on the main wine producing areas of the world (France, Italy, California, etc.) and don't get into the smaller production areas. I think that makes sense in a book like this. There is plenty of information for getting you started on decoding variety of grap
Krista
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book might scare you off and that would be a shame. Wine for Dummies is a very informative book, full of great knowledge for newbies and reference information that any wine lover might need to call on. I read the newest edition, which had been updated with extremely current details - always important with this kind of book. I used it as a study guide during my wine course and felt it was a great tool for that. I'm sure I'll be picking this up again when I need a refresher on a ...more
Tina Hayes
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
'Wine for Dummies' is a great book for anyone who drinks the fruit of the vine. Experts and newbies alike will learn from this fun, informative book by Ed McCarthy and Mary Ewing-Mulligan. Varietals are explained, the top wines of each region around the globe are pointed out, there is a pronounciation guide so we can figure out how to pronounce Pouilly-Fuisse, along with tips on which corkscrews work best. Whether you're looking to find the correct temperature for serving Shiraz or you want to k ...more
Fredrick Danysh
While the authors have wine backgrounds and give some nice backgrounds, the give off the aura of wine snobs. Most of the wines discussed are from Europe, California, or New York giving the impression that these are the two states are the only quality wine producers. There are over a hundred wineries in Texas alone which produce some excellent vintages. Also Duplin County winery in North Carolina and Nissey Winery iin Pennsylvania produce wines better than most of California or New York.
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considering how vast the world of wine is, this book is a great place to start. There is loads of practical information presented in an approachable format along with plenty of good advice. I feel way more educated on the topic of wine and found the book full of fascinating content. I can now more confidently select and serve wine and have more fun doing it. In the word's of Major Payne, "Who's the dummy now?"
Laurie
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of the world of wine. I especially like the appendix for definitions and pronunciation of non-English wine words. The authors also suggest notable producers in the major wine categories. This is helpful in the exploration stage and I have been using their suggestions to good effect.
Kara
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink

A nicely plain approach to wine, with none of the pompousness that scares so many people off, myself included. The author keeps for a main theme: if the wine tastes good to you, drink it, if not, don’t. The rest is really just extras that gives you something to talk about at fancy parties.

A wonderfully irrelevant introduction to the surprisingly not overwhelming world of wine.
Bryn (Plus Others)
This is a very functional wine reference book which taught some people in our system things about wine they did not know, and which if we owned it (we do not it is a library ebook) would be very useful for looking things up about wine. So maybe we will buy a copy!

This is not a book to read straight through from end to end, because it is a reference book and full of tables and lists. :-)
Linda
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, wine, food
As A relative wine novice I found this a good introduction to the world of wine. I was familiar with with the styles of wine out of California but didn't know much about European wine. I now feel like I have a basis for begging to explore wine from other regions.
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
  • Homebrewing For Dummies
  • Cooking For Dummies
  • Drawing for Dummies
  • Guitar For Dummies
  • Goodbye to Shy: 85 Shybusters That Work!
  • Message Remix: Solo-MS: An Uncommon Devotional
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Piano for Dummies [With Play-Along]

Dummies (1 - 10 of 713 books)
  • Mindfulness for Dummies