Start by marking “Backstreet Mom: A Mother's Tale of Backstreet Boy AJ McLean's Rise to Fame, Struggle with Addiction, and Ultimate Triumph” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

An integral part of the Backstreet Boys from the very beginning, AJ McClean’s mother, Denise, traveled with the group and served as their publicist and fan club coordinator. In close proximity to the successes and heartbreaks of her son's career, Denise watched her son's painful descent into alcoholism and depression. This revealing account tells the tale of AJ’s rise to s
Published November 10th 2003 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Backstreet Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstreet Mom

Kara
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
SPOILERS!

It was a very quick read. It was interesting but not heart-wrenchingly dramatic or very inspiring. It was kind of a play-by-play of events but without a lot of details. It has my respect for that because I don't want to be stuck reading a pity-party book, if you know what I mean. Everything sounded very panicked and crazy and exhausting at times, but it wasn't really put together like a readable novel. While I would befriend Ms. McLean, I wouldn't name her a salable writer.

Don't expect
Carrie
The only reason I picked this up is because I was hoping for some good behind the scenes Jane Carter drama. Unfortunately, there is none. There isn’t any drama about anyone else either, because this is a mind numbingly boring, poorly written account of the early half of Backstreet, where Denise reveals exciting things like they all trusted Lou Pearlman, or that Howie prefers to avoid conflict. (Maybe this is why he sleeps all the time. He’s playing ‘possum.) Or that Kevin has a temper and is “em ...more
Nada
"If I learned nothing else during those negotiations, I learned that no one could be trusted. If something appears too good to be true, then it is."

I felt sad for Denis and what she went through. I'm a big fan of the Backstreet Boys for more than 12 years and Alex is specifically my favorite. If I put being a fan and all my love aside that will be better for my review to be objective.

This is my second read for the book, I felt the need to re-read because Backstreet Boys released their first doc
Claire
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wanted to read this book as I've followed AJ McLean's struggles with sobriety for years.
From his mum's perspective, this book tells of the battles that AJ has had with addiction, his rehab and how it affected his family, friends and the other Backstreet Boys. I enjoyed this book, the best part was all the photos.
Donna
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express this story of AJ McLean, from starting in The Backstreet Boys to his first stint in rehab. In the press, you only see one side, so reading this story you get the real side. (I know they will never see this) But thank you AJ and Denise McLean for sharing this beautiful heartbreaking story.
Nicole
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Growing up, AJ was always my favorite. It's heart wrenching to think he went through so much. I pray he is still doing well.
Meagan
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the most amazing book I've ever read. AJ's mom even autographed it for me, when I met her last month!! :)
Paula Cole