Start by marking “The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde” as Want to Read:
The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde

The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"One of the greatest collections of science fiction short stories ever"
--Goodreads.com

"Norman Spinrad's finest, and most consistent, collection. There's not a bad story in the lot." --Bud Webster
Published 1970 by Nelson Doublday

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde

Bob Rust
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carcinoma Angels • (1967)
The Age of Invention • (1966)
Outward Bound • (1964)
A Child of Mind • (1965)
The Equalizer • (1964)
The Last of the Romany • (1963)
Technicality • (1966)
The Rules of the Road • (1964)
Dead End • (1969)
A Night in Elf Hill • (1968)
Deathwatch • (1965)
The Ersatz Ego • (1970)
Neutral Ground • (1966)
Once More, with Feeling • (1969)
It's a Bird! It's a Plane! • (1967)
Subjectivity • (1964)
The Entropic Gang Bang Caper • (1969)
The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde • [Jerry Corne
Mike Rossmassler
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest collections of science fiction short stories ever
Brian Clegg
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I was purchasing Henry Gee's Sigil trilogy from Reanimus Press (review of Henry's masterpiece to follow - I haven't had a chance to read it yet), I noticed they had reprints of some classic science fiction. I'm a sucker for this - my SF enthusiasm peaked in the 60s and 70s, so anyone who has emerged since isn't really on my radar (seriously - I consider Ben Bova trendy). Something that caught my eye was a book of short stories by Norman Spinrad. To be honest he's not an author I had had muc ...more
Aaron Arnold
Though most of the stories in this collection have the indelible stamp of the 70s on them - both in tone and relationship to technology - they are all readable and enjoyable. The most memorable to me was The Equalizer, about an Israeli scientist who discovers a superweapon and has to grapple with the consequences of potential proliferation. It reminded me of Jorge Luis Borges' short story Deutsches Requiem a little, and there were some other stories like Outward Bound that also touched on the id ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
By the summer of 1984 I was pretty sure I had an good administrative job at Loyola University Chicago locked up. The Dean liked me. I liked and respected him and the rest of the staff. Although still taking some coursework, my research assistantship in philosophy had reached its limit and prospects of ever securing a professorship in the field looked poor. In "celebration" I went on the customary science fiction binge upon the end of the semester and the beginning of the summer.

Unlike many of th
Craig
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent collection of Spinrad's early work. I never felt that Spinrad was appreciated in the field as much as he should have been; he was like an American version of Ballard or Moorcock in his time, but is now sadly mostly forgotten. There are some particular favorites in this volume, especially the title story.
Mihai Barbat
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent collection of short SF stories by Normal Spinrad.
I have re-read this book as I found myself looking at it and not remembering anything at all from the first time I went over it. It's 4 stars because the last 2 stories were too psychedelic for my taste.
John E
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good stories from the drug centered 1960s.
Matt Howard
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Collection of science fiction short stories from the 1960s. Some really good ones and some really bad ones, including the title story which chokes on its own attempt to be clever and literary.
Peter
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Variable quality - some interesting story ideas
Dan Schuna
Sep 24, 2008
Steve Davidson
May 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in New York in 1940, Norman Spinrad is an acclaimed SF writer.

Norman Spinrad, born in New York City, is a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. In 1957 he entered City College of New York and graduated in 1961 with a Bachelor of Science degree as a pre-law major. In 1966 he moved to San Francisco, then to Los Angeles, and now lives in Paris. He married fellow novelist N. Lee Wood in 1
More about Norman Spinrad...