Start by marking “Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Praise for Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart
"In this book, O'Neill brings form and structure to the art of executive coaching. Novices are provided a path while seasoned practitioners will find affirmation."
--Daryl R. Conner, CEO and president, ODR-USA, Inc.
"Mary Beth O'Neill's executive coaching gave me the tools and clarity to become a far more effective leade
Published August 24th 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart

Bob
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book was highly recommended in coaching training that I received this summer. I can see why. First of all, the two basic ideas of backbone and heart. Backbone is the idea of not caving on contracted goals and action plans. Heart is entering deeply into your client's goals, challenges, and personal development needs.

O'Neill begins the book by discussing the coach's posture as one of results orientation, partnership, engaging specific leadership challenges and linking team behaviors with busi
Ron
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me. I read this years ago when I first set out on my own as an executive coach. There were parts of this book at the time that were beyond where I was at the time, and re-reading it now I realize that there are many parts of my practice that are beyond what this book outlines. Still, a valuable resource to revisit with some really solid points of emphasis for any practicing coach: in particular, maintaining that presence with a client where you show that mix of backbone an ...more
Jeff Lampson
I really like many aspects of this book. O'Neill comes from a strong systems and performance orientation. Additionally, I was very intrigued with the way she has applied the classic OD action-research approach to coaching:

-Entry & Contracting
-Data collection and feedback
-Action planning
-Implementation and follow through
-Evaluation

I feel very comfortable with this framework and see how it is generalizes to Executive Coaching.

The client responsibility model is crucial for managing the players
Volodymyr Dehtyarov
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Пока что лучшее, что читал про коучинг руководителей. Очень структурная подача, диалоги, иллюстрирующие разные этапы и сложности коучинга, системный подход к роли коуча в развитии руководителя и его месту в организации. Для меня очень полезно было еще раз увидеть применение live-action coaching - наблюдения за руководителем и моментальной обратной связи в рабочей обстановке: на встречах, совещаниях и переговорах. Еще интереснее оказался подход к оценке ROI коучинга. Многие из примеров и инструме ...more
Alex Wong
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coaching
Systematically written with lots of practical tips for coaching. The examples illustrate the ideas and approaches very well. This definitely takes time to digest and also deserves several readings.
Tiffany
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will be adding this book to my coaching resources shelf, for sure. There were great tips about managing yourself in ambiguity, questions that help test the client's willingness to scrutinize their role, the 3 key factors methodology for goal setting, and the ROI method were all noteworthy.
Ralf Kruse
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are sometimes the right books at the right time. This book challenged me in my coaching approach and I'm fairly happy, that I read it.
Paula Fitzgerald
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is one that I go back to regularly. Mary Beth taught the coaching class for my master's degree and has rich experience and depth impacting leaders and organizations.
Karen Catlin
May 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Chris
Apr 22, 2016
sue
Jul 21, 2014
Chan Ling
rated it did not like it
May 10, 2017
Kerensa Jennings
Feb 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute of Life Coach Training
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization (Leadership for the Common Good)
  • The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies For Business And Personal Success
  • Courageous Conversations about Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
  • The Heart of Change Field Guide: Tools And Tactics for Leading Change in Your Organization
  • Monday Morning Choices: 12 Powerful Ways to Go from Everyday to Extraordinary