Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident

A gripping psychological thriller about the deadly secrets your children can keep …

Ret

Published April 10th 2014 by Avon (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.
Asteropê You can't open and read books on Goodreads. You add books to your library to rate, review and catalog. Not read. Goodreads is not an open access free…moreYou can't open and read books on Goodreads. You add books to your library to rate, review and catalog. Not read. Goodreads is not an open access free library where books are available to read in full. If you want to read the book you need to buy it or borrow it from a friend or library. (less)

Shirley Revill
Susan Jackson's 15 year old daughter Charlotte deliberately steps into the path of a bus and ends up in a coma. Her father Brian thinks it was an accident but Susan just isn't convinced that this is the case and feels that maybe something more sinister happened. Just why did her daughter want to end her life in this way, it just doesn't make sense. She sits at her daughter's bedside watching and listening to her heart monitor and she fears for her daughter's life. There is no reason why Charlott ...more
Reading Corner
The Accident is a simple read with some interesting descriptions and characters.Sue is an engrossing character at the start who I genuinely liked but after about 70 pages she really got annoying along with the flashbacks to her past, it just felt completely cliche.

The book is about Charlotte, Sue's daughter, who walked in front of a car and is now in a coma and Sue is determined to uncover the truth. I bought this book because it was in a deal and I really did regret it! It was easy to fly thr
 Li'l Owl
I read The Accident from cover to cover, well into the night, but it was well worth it!

Fifteen year old Charlotte lies in a coma after stepping in front of a bus six weeks ago. All the tests show that there is no physiological reason why Charlotte hasn't woken up and both Sue and Brian remain resolute in their belief that their daughter will wake up. Yet, she hasn't. Why?

Charlott's mother, Sue, feels endlessly guilty for not being able to connect with her daughter before the accident, even if
Joodith
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, poor Sue, has she ever got her plate full! Brian, her MP husband, who was unfaithful a few years ago, may be cheating again; her mum is in a care home suffering, from some sort of dementia; her daughter Charlotte is in hospital in a coma having deliberately walked into the path of a bus, and if this is not enough we have James, a violent, obsessive ex-boyfriend from twenty years ago, who is suddenly stalking her....after twenty years. Why? How much can a girl take! It's no wonder she's ...more
Sean Peters
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was voted for my PIck It For Me Book for May, so thanks to those who voted for this book.

Fast-paced and suspenseful The Accident is perfect for fans of Before I Go to Sleep, Gone Girl and Sophie Hannah. A gripping psychological thriller about the deadly secrets your children can keep ...Sue Jackson has the perfect family but when her teenage daughter Charlotte deliberately steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma she is forced to face a very dark reality. Retracing her daughter's
Bill Kupersmith
I am genuinely angry with myself for having wasted several hours finishing this turkey. Altho' before half-way through it was obvious the characters were totally implausible, the plot was intriguing & pulled me along. The ending, however, is utterly unbelievable - even for something that's supposed to be happening in a NHS hospital. The publishers are apparently trying to market this as a Gone Girl or Before I Go to Sleep (hence the new American title) knockoff. It does not resemble either b ...more
Raven
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In very much in a similar vein to Claire Kendal’s The Book of You or Elizabeth Haynes Into The Darkest Corner, author Cally Taylor in a new guise, launches her crime writing career with this dark psychological thriller. In this increasingly overcrowded sub-genre of crime writing, with many books treading a similar path, how did The Accident fare?

The book opens with a seemingly settled, middle aged married woman, waiting at the bedside of her comatose teenage daughter, who has been involved in an
Gary
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd CL Taylor and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed them all.
I don't think this was as well written as the previous two but this fast paced novel made me want to keep reading to find out more.
The novel follows Sue Jackson whose teenage daughter Charlotte deliberately steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma. Sue wants answers to what made her do it and the torment of did Sue cause it.
In her efforts to find out the truth she retraces her daughter’s steps and finds a disturbin
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Awesome book! I read this in hours, could not put it down, it was so much better than I had expected.

Great plot, characters that had depth, fast pace, twist and turns, page turning hold your breath moments and a few gasps. Yes, a brilliant read.

This psychological thriller tackles some tough and raw real life issues like emotional abuse in a way that may educate those who know nothing of how insidious it is.

With her daughter in a coma after seemingly stepping in from of a bus, her mother, Sue i
Melissa In The City
Chilling.
Fast paced.
TWISTY.

I loved it. If it’s a psychological thriller of a ride you’re looking for...this is it! I had chills in my bones most of this book..😱
Patrice Hoffman
I've been finding it harder and harder to rate certain books nowadays. Usually I am sure during the first 40% whether I'm in love with a novel or am sure it should be banished to my "did-not-finish" pile. For more than half of Before I Wake by C.L. Taylor, I wasn't sure which way I was going with this one.

From page one Taylor takes hold of readers by revealing that the narrators daughter may have botched her own suicide and as a result is now in a coma. Apparently stepping in front of a bus isn'
sue
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was honoured to read and review this book for the author. I had also received this from HarperCollins UK, Avon Via Net Galley.

I couldn't wait to get around to reading this book as I loved the sound of it. I was not mistaken in my choice.

It starts off in such a way it takes you right into the centre of the story, you need to keep reading, nothing else matters until you finish this book, I am not exaggerating either!

Some of the chapters go back a step in time, but this is NOT confusing, its VIT
Yoda
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I don't really read thrillers, but I had to try this one as it sounded intriguing! And I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Normally I guess the ending, which is demotivating, but this time not only I didn't guess the ending I couldn't figure out the middle either. It was a plot twist after plot twist which was great! Overall it was an easy read, I only ever put it down while I was working.

Liz Barnsley
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Publication Date: April 14th by Avon Harper Collins

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Retracing her daughter’s steps she finds a horrifying entry in Charlotte’s diary and is forced to head deep into Charlotte’s private world. In her hunt for evidence, Sue begins to mistrust everyone close to her daug
Karen
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with Sue Jackson sitting by her 15 year old daughter Charlotte’s hospital bed. Charlotte has been in a coma for the previous six weeks and the doctors have no idea if, or when, she will wake up.

Sue however, believes her daughter is too frightened to wake up. Ever since she discovered an entry in Charlotte’s diary “Keeping this secret is killing me…” she is convinced that her daughter deliberately stepped in front of the bus, unlike her husband Brian who believes it to be an acci
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible writing. Seriously, terrible. I walked away from this mad that I even spent any time on it, and feeling compelled to rate it just to add some realism to goodreads reviews.

Wait, let me write that like C.L. Taylor:
"This book was so terrible that I felt compelled to write a long run on sentence much like the author who doesn't seem to understand that run on sentences should have been weeded out of her writing in primary school or perhaps middle school when most of us were learning the ba
Jana
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Accident by C.L. Taylor @cltaylorauthor

Me and @aurobooks chose The Accident for our buddy read the last week! This novel was not just my first buddy read with Aurora but also my first novel by C.L. Taylor and I am so glad that we chose this book!

The novel has great start and is gripping from the first page! It's about Sue and her perfect family which is not perfect at all. Something has happend to Sue's daughter and now she is in a coma. Sue has to find out from her daughter's diary what ha
Orlanda Machado
Original Blog Review: https://myescapebookscoffeetea.wordpr...

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/blog.myescape/

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/BlogMyEscape

Buy this book on The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/The-Acc...

”review”/

What to say about this book ?… I gave to it 3 stars because I didn’t love it, but I am also not disappointed with this book. It is like, I didn’t love it, I didn’t hate it, I was not expecting more but I was not expecting less either… it is complicated and I really d
Alaina
This was an okay kind of book? Well, okay.. more like an okay you're super predictable kind of book?
Yeah, more like that.

The Accident is about 15 year old Charlotte and how she is currently in a coma after walking in front of a bus. Her mother and father don't know why she hasn't woken up yet or the doctors. However, they still have faith that she will wake up on her own but the lingering question is: why the hell did this crazy bitch walk in front of a bus on purpose?

Now going through her paren
Sam H
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is without a doubt a really good debut novel. The idea is based around a daughter that is in a coma and a mothers drive to solve the secret that caused her daughter to try to take her life. Once the mystery is solved the mother believes her daughter will wake.

The only real adrenaline big bang in this story comes in the final 50 pages of the book. The rest of the book just plods along at a slower gentle pace. Having said this the book is not boring in any way it just gently weaves the story
Paul
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Accident is a brilliant debut thriller.

Cally Taylor debuts with a brilliant psychological thriller that breaks away from the standard debuts. Cally must have one brilliantly twisted mind and she says the genesis of this novel happened while she was pregnant so who knows what she will produce when someone upsets her! I think Avon HarperCollins are going to be on a winner with Cally Taylor or as I should say C.L. Taylor.

Charlotte is a fifteen year old who tries to commit suicide by walking in
Lynda Kelly
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very good story indeed and I only knocked it off one star because I paid for it and it had more mistakes than I'd expect in a bought book although the author is far from alone. Bestsellers have plenty in as well !!
I had to laugh near the beginning where Sue tells us she believes her hubby as she's rifling through his pockets !!I think she doth protest too much. I was shocked they'd not looked for their daughter's mobile immediately considering that no teenager would ever be parted fro
Luanne Ollivier
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I Wake is C. L. Taylor's debut novel. And I have to tell you - it's really good.

Present day. Susan sits by a hospital bed, hoping her comatose daughter will wake up. It was a dreadful accident, Charlotte stepping out in front of the bus like that. Or so Susan thought until she found Charlotte's diary - and the cryptic line - "This secret is killing me."

Taylor then cuts the narrative to the past and we are privy to Susan's diary, before she married and had Charlotte. The journal is trou
Anne
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
There are so many wonderful psychological thrillers around at the moment - for anyone who doesn't read much in this genre, do try Paula Daly's Just What Kind Of Mother Are You?, Elizabeth Haynes’ Into The Darkest Corner, Elizabeth Forbes’ Nearest Thing To Crazy or MJ Arlidge’s Eeny Meeny. And here's another - CL Taylor's The Accident sits more than comfortably with that illustrious company. There are times when reading can just be reading, but this was one of those books that had me reading into ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Accident is a fast paced psychological thriller from debut author, C.L. Taylor.

Desperate to understand why her comatose 15 year old daughter would deliberately step into the path of a bus, Susan Jackson begins a frenzied hunt for clues amongst the secrets her daughter kept from her. As Susan slowly begins to piece together information from Charlotte's diary, phone and friends, shocking evidence of betrayal and blackmail begins to emerge, along with ugly secrets from Susan's own past.

The auth
Mark Tilbury
Sue is experiencing every parents worse nightmare, not knowing if her 15 year old daughter will wake from a coma. She's also found out that her daughter has been keeping some big secrets and wants to know why.

The story is mostly set in the present day, with flashback chapters to Sue's previous relationship. This is done well and gradually joins the past with the present. The story flows well and is full of tension and suspense.

I had worked out the 'who' was about half way through the book, but a
Amanda Jane
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut, crime-fiction
An easy book to read, not overly heavy. I would say this book is more of a "summer read".
I guessed a couple of the incidents before they happened but they may just because I read so many of these type of novels. I found a few of the situations the protagonist Sue is in as highly improbable and whoever did the proofreading did a woeful job when it came to the grammar.
Three quarters of the way through the book I was considering 5 stars sadly the last quarter disappointed me because of the improbab
Rossy
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, easy read, but implausible. Although halfway through the book you already know more or less what's going on, I hated the ending.
The characters were not likeable at all, and I really didn't get why Charlotte jumped in front of the bus.
I didn't gave it just 1 star, but 2, because I loved Sue's diary entries. They were hard to read, sad, but real. The abuse she suffered and why she stayed actually made me cry.
Julie Cohen
Creepy, addictive and terrifying. I read it in two sittings, unable to put it down.
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kindle
After reading books from the likes of Samantha Hayes I have really gotten into this genre of books of late and so was very excited to start this one. The blurb certainly sounded interesting enough. Also with it being a debut novel there weren't any massive expectations, I was just hoping for an enjoyable read that would keep me guessing however after finishing it I can say it was a very well written book and I look forward to seeing what comes next from this author!

The book is written in first p

• The Long Fall
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • To the Edge of Shadows
  • Accidents Happen
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • Cold Light
  • The Broken
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • The Dead Wife's Handbook
C.L. Taylor lives in Bristol with her partner and young son. She is a five times Sunday Times bestseller and her books have hit the number one spots on Amazon, Kobo, Audible, iBooks and Google Play. Cally has a degree in Psychology, with particular interest in abnormal and criminal Psychology.

Her dark psychological thriller THE ACCIDENT was published in the UK by Avon HarperCollins in April 2014
“What is it like not to feel anxious? To feel secure instead of scared? It’s been so long I can barely remember.” 0 likes
“What I want to do is tell Mum how much she means to me and how I wish I could take away the terrible disease that, day by day, is stealing another part of her away from me.” 0 likes