Start by marking “When Half Is Whole: Multiethnic Asian American Identities” as Want to Read:
When Half Is Whole: Multiethnic Asian American Identities

When Half Is Whole: Multiethnic Asian American Identities

"I listen and gather people's stories. Then I write with the hope to communicate something to people, that they gain something of value by reading these stories. I tell myself that this is something that isn't going to be done unless I do it, just because of who I am. It's a way of making my mark, to leave something behind—not that I'm planning on going anywhere, right now ...more
Published October 10th 2012 by Stanford University Press (first published October 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When Half Is Whole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Half Is Whole

Xian Xian
(Sorry I keep editing this, noticed some mistakes.)
Puerto Rican, Chinese, African American. Afro-Chino. Mestiza. A not-so-serious Catholic. Who am I?

This whole book is Stephen Murphy-Shigematsu and a load of other similar writers who struggled with this one question, "Who am I, exactly?" The author is Japanese and Irish, sometimes he calls himself the "Celtic Samurai." He was born in Japan and lived in the U.S. and then went back to Japan as an adult. Everybody in this book talks about their lif
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

As soon as I saw When Half is Whole on the Asian Lit Bingo list of possible reads for the non-fiction slot, I knew that I needed to read it. I'm multiracial, and even though the novel examined the experiences of Asian Americans, I thought I might find some things that I can relate to.

This is an #ownvoices book.

__

I was mislead by the blurb and thought that this book would discuss experiences of Asian American from a variety of e
Katherine
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the exploration of Asian American identities, Stephen Murphy-Shigematsu touches on universal themes of fitting in and identity. Murphy-Shigematsu is a compelling story teller. This is a must read.
Tony Bergstrom
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book collects the stories of how different people have struggled to define/accept/understand their identity between multiple cultures by way of relating personal stories and anecdotes. Overall, I found the book insightful; it has given me some things to consider for my own 3-nation family.

It is on the scholarly side, so some sections can be a bit dry. Personally, my favorite chapters were 7-11, so if there is any doubt I encourage you to push through to the end.

That said, I have 2 minor iss
Michelle Athy
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This is a scholarly exploration of several different individuals and groups of half-Asian descent. Being half Japanese and half Irish, I particularly wanted to read this because I've never read any kind of scholarly work on my particular racial/ethnic composition. The author covers those of white and Asian descent, Asian and black, Asian and Latino, adopted Asians, and the abandoned half Japanese, half American children of Okinawa and their particular situation.

All of the individuals mentioned
Melanie
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first encounter with critiques of the word "hapa" to describe mixed API heritage as having been appropriated from Native Hawaiians:

"This is a question of power....Native Hawaiians, in addition to all of the other ways that their sovereignty has been abrogated, lost for many years the right to their own language through oppressive English-language education....Given this history and given the contemporary social and political reality (and realty--as in real estate) of Hawaiian, the appropriati
ABC
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In depth look at people who are "half" (part Asian and part something else). In this book, it is mostly Japanese and American that is discussed. It especially looks at Okinawa and its Amerasian kids.
Eunice