Start by marking “The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell” as Want to Read:
The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell

The Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  315 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
On the morning of her twelfth birthday, Mary Campbell gets angry with her mother and storms out of the cabin-never to return. As she picks wild strawberries and plans her apology, Mary is captured by Delaware Indians and plunged into a life that is fearsome, strenuous, and utterly unlike the one she knows, beginning with the journey on foot from Pennsylvania to the Delawar
Published March 23rd 1998 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 1998)

Karen
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about my great, great, great, great grandmother.
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is the story of my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandma. I thought this was an amazing tell of that part of her life. I myself would have loved to have read more about her life after all she went through. I would like to thank everyone for reading...
Kris Irvin
Not nearly as good as Echohawk. I didn't like Mary much, but I did feel bad for her mother. I'm glad the author included the notes at the end about Mary's real life - it added some much needed closure for me.

I'm glad I read it, but yeah, not as good as Durrant's other books.
Wendy Mills
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting and factual, as well as entertaining, story to read. Mary is only 12 years old when she is captured by the Algonquin near her home in Pennyslvania. Though terrified and worried about her white family, she quickly acclimates into the new world she has been forced into. Taken to replace a cherished granddaughter(who has died), she soon becomes a loved member of the tribe’s chief, daughter, and son-in-law. Mary never stops wondering if she’ll ever return to the Campbells, bu ...more
Jackson
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Had to read it for school and liked it.
Crystal Karre
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amazing read
xo Jules
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fascinating story. Quick, easy read with well developed characters, storyline, and interesting facts.
Kim Mearman
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed. Boys would love this true story when they are older. It's a bit dark.
Rileigh C
The Beaded moccasins is a great book. Mary Campbell is stolen by Indians to be a granddaughter for their chief. Mary doesn't know untill they tell her in the middle of their trip. She is worried because if she doesn't behave they might scalp her like they did to little Sammy. Marry is also worried because Ms.Stewart has been put with a different family, yet their treating her poorly. Will Mary, and Ms.Stewart ever get out of it? Your going to have to read the book to find out.

A lesson this book
Miss Amanda
LeeAnn
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I read the story of a young girl kidnapped by the Indians who I believe was Mary Campbell. I will have to retread this to be sure this was the same story.

This is based on the true story of Mary Campbell. I read this some years ago and enjoyed it because it was such a thought-provoking story. The distress caused Mary by the Indians who kidnapped her was horrific and made me wonder why she would ever want to stay. Then, as I considered the relative freedoms and respect she had with the
Beth
This is a historical fiction novel based on a true story. It's a great novel for anyone, but especially elementary and middle school kids. Mary Campbell is kidnapped by Indians at a young age making it more exciting and relate-able for kids. Besides, what kid hasn't dreamed about being kidnapped by Indians and living in the forest while learning to use a bow and arrows? Or was that just me and my sibs? This is one of the best Indian captive middle grade novels I've read. I've read it at least a ...more
Dave Moore
Donna
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a juvenile novel about a young girl who was taken by the indians in the late 1700's at the age of 12 on her birthday. It is true story about Mary Campbell who lived with the indians in Ohio for 6 years, determined to get back to her family, but eventually becoming part of the family of that had taken her.

I always enjoy reading historical fiction and even though this was a juvenile novel, I have enjoyed all of Lynda Durrant's books.
Madeline Henricksen
"The Beaded Moccasins" is about a girl named Mary Campbell who, on her twelfth birthday, gets kidnapped by Delaware Indians. She becomes a replacement granddaughter to Netawatwees Sachem (chief of the tribe) and "tonn"(daughter) to Hepte (daughter of the chief). She has lots of adventures along the way. Mary has her real mother's rose bowl, but somebody takes it. She soon becomes a woman named Woman-Who-Saved-The-Corn because she helped saved the tribes garden from a flash flood.
Sierra
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Read in first person, it is extremely well done and cuts right to your heart. In this story, Mary, at first, is very young and foolish. But when she is captured by the Indians, she learns about courage, love, strength. She learns great lessons and the ways of the Indians and that they aren't as wicked as many people think. Such an extremely good book that I will never get rid of it! Lynda Durrant surely knows how to capture her readers and send them back in time!
Kristin Collins
I read this book when I was a kid and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I always struggled in history because I don't exactly enjoy it, but reading a novel based on it definitely helps me. It's very detailed and somewhat gory, but it has a good story to it. I think this is a true story? Or based on one at least. Definitely worth a read.
Amber Zurn
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was very fun to read about the hardships Mary had to overcome when she was captured by the Indians. Mary had to try and find a way to cope with what was happening. She also had to learn how to accept it and learn how to survive by living off of the land with the Indians. I thought that it was interesting to learn that this was based off of a true story.
Betty
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults and older children
This is a juvenile book of only 175 pages but is a story based on the life of Mary Campbell who was kidnapped by the Delaware Indians on the eve of her 12th birthday and taken west to Ohio where she lived for about five years. Though the book is short and an easy read, it is interesting because of the wealth of historical detail.
Jenny
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, childrens
After being captured by Deleware Indians to replace the chief's granddaughter, Mary Campbell is forced to march to Ohio. She must learn how to survive among her captors, and she must choose whether to escape or not.
Alice
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the genre of "white child captured by Indians and experiences identity problems." Of interest mostly because it is based on the true story of Mary Campbell who was taken to the Cuyahoga River with her Indian tribe.
Renee Sustarich
a simple and short story of a young girls times during and after being abducted by the Delware Indians. Part fact an part fiction it brings to life the tiem and era that these actions took place. Makes you wonder if th Natives really had it right compared to society, then and now.
Julie
I LOVE to read books based on true accounts of Indian captives, but i just felt this one was lacking something...i'm not sure what though. It DID make me want to research the life of Mary Campbell further, especially since this story takes place in Ohio.
Jennifer Litchfield
I had to read this book for a class i was taking and thought that i would just skim it, however before i knew it i was so caught up in this story even though it is a book for younger students i enjoyed it very much!
Audree
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5th grade teacher read this to us. Although I hated her, I liked this book :) Shows what a good story it was. Yup, I hadn't heard a story like that since the Dan Storm Testaments, which are also good books.
Allison6876
ENGL 3021 paper
Rosemary Bruner
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a superb possibility for any school library. Strong female lead in this story with historical basis.
Jessy
this book was really and even a little sad
G. Hurley
A tale base on real life captives, the good and the bad. This book shows both.
Stephanie
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid. It was a great story
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Hope's Crossing
  • I Am Regina
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • Pandora of Athens, 399 B.C.  (The Life and Times Series)
  • Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story
  • The Legend of Jimmy Spoon
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Charlotte's Rose
  • Run Away Home
  • Women's Indian Captivity Narratives
  • Enemy in the Fort (American Girl History Mysteries, #13)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Sister to the Wolf
  • Storm Warriors
  • Chu Ju's House
  • Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99