Start by marking “The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship” as Want to Read:
The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship

The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship

Begun as a practical pastoral guide to worship, this book balances theory and praxis to create a compelling case for a biblical, aesthetic, and covenantal worship service as the place where the Triune God and His people renew the bonds of love and loyalty.
Jeffrey Meyers begins laying out a case for a covenant renewal service by means of Old Testament sacrificial liturgics,
Published February 1st 2003 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lord's Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord's Service

Hannah Brown
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and very helpful. Every reformed (or not reformed!) Christian should read this. Yes, it’s daunting and a bit long, but it’s worth it. Trudge through a chapter at a time and you will go to church on Sunday with a newfound understanding of what exactly is going on.
Rick Davis
The best book on worship I've read.
Christopher
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book in an under-taught area. Reformed folk tend to think through what we say very carefully, but as Meyers points out, when it comes to worship, we think too little about what we do. Meyers does a great job of explaining what worship is (and just as importantly, what it's not), and introducing the concept of covenant renewal worship, showing it's biblical basis. Additionally, the quality "bonus" essays in part III cover a great swath of worthwhile, related material. Although it's really ...more
Ben Zornes
Meyers' work here is a really helpful primer on how to biblically order our corporate worship services. He exegetes scripture to show how certain Old Testament precedents should be carried on in our New Testament worship, as well as showing how our worship––now in Christ––should be patterned after the sacrifices of the Mosaic law (cf. Rom. 12:1-2). Meyers also provides insight into historic context for why the Church has continually observed certain practices time and time again.

The shallowness
Suzannah
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely! It was so interesting--with Scriptural backing and historical explanations for a lot of things I had observed without fully understanding, or had heard in part elsewhere, or even had never thought of. Don't be scared off by the length of the book--the print is big, the chapters are short, you'll get there.

The book is about form and ritual in worship, coming from a robust Presbyterian viewpoint. Some things I particularly liked:

* The chapter "Worship as Sacrifice" e
Peter Jones
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A very good book on the nature of worship. A detail explanation of covenant renewal worship, as well as numerous extra chapters on liturgical matters, such as the Apostles'Creed, wearing robes and paedocommunion.
Douglas Wilson
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Also read in December of 2000.
Dylan Stinson
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever asked yourself, "What's the point of the worship service?" then read this book. Somewhere along the way Protestants forgot why we need to worship together every Sunday; this book is the perfect reminder of what the worship service is for, what should take place in the service, and why we need it.
Joseph Schoolland
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff.
Mark Enlow
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for understanding the graciousness of the Covenant Renewal Service.
David Twombly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great work on Liturgical Restoration and Covenant Renewal Worship. Would highly recommend!
Julia
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I never imagined that I wouldn't be able to put down a book on liturgy. But that fact tells of neglected and misunderstood state of liturgical practice in evangelical churches. The loss of the drama and grandeur of the Christian faith reflected in worship is causing droves of youth to cross the Tiber into the Roman Catholic faith. When we read in Colossians to sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, it's not a suggestion to fill time with a pleasant activity before the sermon. It's a command of ...more
Larson
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my second time through the book. It's a very reformed and modern approach to liturgy. By that I mean that Pastor Meyers does a really wonderful job of laying out a defensible, biblical, and systematic approach to worship. His focus is on "truth" more than "beauty". This is a great place to start, especially if you are a modern evangelical Christian that is new to the idea of liturgical worship. I will also commend Meyers for how practically useful this book is for churches who are tryin ...more
Timothy Nichols
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're ministering in a context where you will have to do some liturgical innovation or design, you need to read this book. Myers gives a good overview of the biblical imagery and theology behind Christian liturgy. This book will make you think, hard -- but the chapters are also relatively short, so it comes in digestible chunks. When my church plant was wrestling with what to do on Sunday mornings, this book was invaluable to me. Now that I'm ministering in a radically different context than ...more
Ryan
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. The juvenilization of current American Evangelicalism and the silly childishness that saturates its idea of sunday worship is wearisome. It is a movement that has neglected to go to the Word of God to pattern its Sunday worship. Instead it finds its pattern from a culture that is for the most part, completely against the God of the Bible. I wonder if there is a blinding to the times of the age going one. Never the less, this is an Incredible study on the Biblical/Historical covenanta ...more
Gray
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.

The silliness that permeates modern evangelical worship is mind numbing; it almost begs the question: is that the actual purpose.

The King of king's and Lord of lord's is deserving of all honor and glory, and the simpering childishness that passes for tribute is a sad commentary of the current state of the church in the U.S. The church militant is defintely not the image currently presented.

This book lays an excellent foundation to restore the honor that God deserves to be given. If, by
Christopher  Waugh
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worship-liturgy
This, coupled with Mother Kirk, was the primary theological and liturgical work that convinced me of the Reformed liturgical tradition. What's truly great about this book is the common sense approach it brings to the debate over the forms of proper worship acceptable on the Lord's Day. It is not reactionary, as so many other polemics often are, but reformational-- namely that it aims to restore a truly biblical piety and practice to the Church. The essay on restoring our children to the Lord's T ...more
Shep
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening, thorough, and well-written. Jeffrey Meyers connects the covenants to worship in a Scriptural manner that aids readers in understanding what the meaning of worship is and what the worship service is all about. Meyer's positions on certain elements of worship will be controversial to some, but his arguments are well-thought out and cannot be cheaply discarded. While I disagree with Meyers on a few points, overall I agree with and benefited greatly from this amazing book. This is one o ...more
Aaron
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a great explanation of Covenant Renewal Worship and it's place in a reformed service. From a RPW perspective, I still have a difficult time seeing where this is regulated in new covenant worship. Are we to continue to worship in the shadows? Did the primitive churches (apostolic period) worship in this way? If not, are we regulating ourselves according to 2nd century tradition? These are all questions that I was left to grapple with. However, the service designed as such is thorough ...more
Matt Carpenter
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, church-life
This book is the foundational text for the reawakening of liturgical worship among many conservative Presbyterians in the U.S. It is a study of worship that begins with the sacrificial system of the Old Testament and uses the typology of those sacrifices to interpret the limited directions for worship in the New Testament. The end result is a biblical guide to worship that honors the regulative principle while giving greater flexibility than the old Puritan interpretation of the regulative princ ...more
Megan
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology-ethics
A very illustrative book on the importance of liturgical theology and liturgical practice in the modern Church. Written to be accessible to non-seminarians, Meyers explains liturgy as covenant renewal worship based on the pattern of Old Testament sacrifice. I found this book to be very helpful in providing a framework for thinking about liturgy and for understanding why we do what we do and when in worship.
Luke
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thorough treatment of Biblical approach to worship. Makes a compelling argument for God's initiating action in worship (rather than the people doing all the work of worship). Not exactly a new conception for this reader, though I will admit that I didn't realize the vast implications that Meyers presents in regards to this approach.

Meyers is insightful throughout, though many times is long winded and likely to bog down the reader.
Kris
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 2004, shortly after reading Jordan's Thesis on Worship. The Lord's Service serves as a pastoral out working of the ideas presented in brief by Jordan--though not central to them. I remember most clearly the essay on why the author wears a clerical collar when out in public. What used to be the norm for ordained ministers has now been abandoned by virtually all evangelical pastors. Meyers has found that wearing a collar opens up many ministry opportunities in public settings.
Jon
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I've read it and re-read it. It's an excellent life changing book for those who worship in boring churches, but after using it over and over again, I think it could be organized a lot better. It's more like a collection of various liturgical essays than a book that has been outlined from A to Z. It is filled to the brim with great biblical and historical insights though.
Michael Jones
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
top of the priority list for pastors! Will forever impact the way you worship the Lord every Sunday!

I have indirectly benefited from this book and the movement which brought it on because our service now is in the general flow of this!

Jeff Meyers is a really good guy and I've enjoyed his thoughts on many things!
J.E. Jr.
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pastors, church leaders, worship leaders
Jeff's book gives a thorough and helpful discussion on the biblical and theological foundations for so much of the way we worship, both in the church in general and at HWPC. There's a lot of good meat here, and it's a valuable book; however, it's both thick and at times dense in content, and maybe wouldn't be the kind of thing I would give to just any church member.
Brittany Petruzzi
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Meyer's shows how beautifully New Covenant worship necessarily flows out of Old Covenant worship through it's fulfillment in Christ. Every time I need a reminder of why we do such-and-such a thing in worship, I refer back to this. Having read it in far too short a time in college, the re-read was well worth it.
Nicholas Rozier
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly enlightening read. As opposed to most of the modern evangelical "worship" services, there are some who have searched out the scriptures for a model of how God engages and desires to be engaged, and have thought through why they do what they do and operate from biblical conviction rather than a cop-out under the phrase "Christian liberty".
Gary
This was excellent. Meyers does a fine job laying out what a Sabbath service is; its shape and the grace God gives to his people in it. He shows the full richness of an understanding of the service as a dialogue between God and his people--God is magnified and we are renewed.

Loved it.
Jeremy
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An excellent exposition on the beauty and theology of worship and the necessity of a Biblically-based liturgy. Also offers a great discussion of 1 Corinthians 11 and makes a great case for paedocommunion.

• The Baptized Body
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • To a Thousand Generations: Infant Baptism: Covenant Mercy for the People of God
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Liturgical Theology: The Church as Worshiping Community
  • Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion
  • Of Water and the Spirit: A Liturgical Study of Baptism
  • Idols for Destruction: The Conflict of Christian Faith and American Culture
Jeff grew up in the Crestwood/Sappington area, graduated from Lindbergh High School ('75) and the University of Missouri at Columbia ('79). After serving as an officer in the U.S. Army for 4 years, Jeff attended Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, but took three years off to teach at a Christian school in Texas. Upon graduation from Covenant Seminary ('88), he served three years as an Asso ...more