Start by marking “Donor-Centered Fundraising: How to Hold on to Your Donors and Raise Much More Money” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this thought-provoking book, author, researcher, and consultant Penelope Burk describes a groundbreaking methodology that challenges accepted fundraising practice and raises much more money.

Working from research conducted over six years with hundreds of charities and donors, Donor-Centered Fundraising paints a candid picture of why donors stop giving to charities they

Unknown Binding
Published December 31st 2003 by Burk & Associates (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Donor-Centered Fundraising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donor-Centered Fundraising

Brendan Diamond
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book might've been helpful about a decade ago, when web presence was significantly less sophisticated and mass-produced pieces couldn't be as personalized as they can be now, but in this day and age, it's mostly irrelevant. There's some great stuff in here, particularly about the urgency of getting stewardship pieces out and what they should say. But it's also quite dated and not particularly helpful to contemporary fundraising techniques.
Carmen
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Some REALLY great tools in here, like board call lists to donors, pricing chart templates, and tips for data driven donor centered devo work.
Kate Reynolds
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Penelope Burk is the authority on fundraising and for good reason. Her theories make sense and (I sure hope) work. The problem that I had with this book is the concept is relatively simple and I do not think warranted a quarter of the pages she used. Took me forever to read it cover-to-cover, but I did pick up a couple quick tips to help me with donor acknowledgement and will never forget what it means to be a donor-centered organization.
Scott
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Upon the recommendation of Emily, I sucked it up and ordered this book...it's expensive...but it's totally worth it. Great ideas, laid out well, very useful. I will be going back to book many times and dog earring pages (or post it notes!)
Beth Ann Locke
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fundraising
Excellent book that highlights the importance of keeping donors rather than just searching for new ones. Research to prove how important thanking donors really is... for donors to remain loyal to a nonprofit.
Michelle
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The research that Penelope Burke does is wonderful. This is THE book that I turn to over and over again.
Jayci Gia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't think that this book was so much "groundbreaking" as it provided studies and statistical evidence to back up what we know--donors appreciate recognition and being thanked!
Valerie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dry as a bone, but darned if it hasn't completely changed my understanding of fundraising! Really glad I read this book and will take it to heart.
Elissa
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Homework for work, but very useful for my field!
Brittany
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonprofit
It only took one day of sitting down with this book to completely change my views on donor relations and fundraising. I have a laundry list of tactics to test out in my own nonprofit.
Deborah LaRoche
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deborah by: Jill Jackson Ledford
Great read for learning the basics of donor cultivation and retention. I'd recommend it to anyone moving into the field of non-profit fundraising/development type work.
Jamie
David
Jan 15, 2016
Waddy Thompson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This perhaps the most perceptive book on fundraising I have read in my 30 years in the business. Hugely insightful.
Holly
Wade Harris
Apr 26, 2012
Sara
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the idea behind the book but would have liked more tangible examples.
Amy
May 27, 2008
Rob Boley
Oct 03, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Asking: A 50-Minute Guide to Everything Board Members, Volunteers, and Staff Must Know to Secure the Gift
  • Fundraising for Social Change
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising
  • Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity
  • The Foundation: A Great American Secret: How Private Wealth Is Changing the World
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Effective Fundraising for Nonprofits: Real-World Strategies That Work
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • By Invitation Only: How We Built Gilt and Changed the Way Millions Shop
  • Brandraising: How Nonprofits Raise Visibility and Money Through Smart Communications
  • The Pure Heart of Yoga: Ten Essential Steps for Personal Transformation

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed