Start by marking “Dear Theo” as Want to Read:
Dear Theo

Dear Theo

Each night, Vincent van Gogh put pen to paper and poured out his heart through letters to his brother Theo. Van Gogh's letters lay bare his deepest feelings, as well as his everyday concerns and his views of the world of art.
Published September 1st 1995 by Plume Books (first published 1914)

William2
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary document! What other inner view of a great artist's creative processes and life do we have like this one? (The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini perhaps, but it is boastful precisely where Dear Theo is introspective, materialistic where Dear Theo is threadbare, highly social where Dear Theo is solitary.)

We bear with Vincent when he abandons an early attempt to enter the church, during which he becomes about as parable spewing and pious as any pastor one can imagine. Then as he
Melda
Neredeyse her mektubunu "Bana inan" notuyla bitirmesi ama yaşarken kimsenin ona inanmaması çok acı.
Yun Yi
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I finished reading Irvine Stone's Lust for Life within one day like finishing a page turner, but I spent long time to read Dear Theo - letters of Van Gogh - each time I turned the page, I heard myself saying: slow down, take time, and digest every word slowly, as if the sooner I finished reading, the quicker the joy of being with him would vanish.

Van Gogh struck the world with his paintings, he also touched my heart with his words. If we take language as a vehicle of thoughts, Van Gogh deserved
Mevsim Yenice
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vincent Van Gogh'un Ocak 1873'den Temmuz 1890'a kadar kardeşi Theo'ya yazdığı mektuplarından oluşan eser.

Mektup en sevdiğim türlerden biri. Yapısı gereği, okuyucuyu yazanın iç dünyasına çok çabuk buyur ettiğinden ve olanı biteni sansürsüz ilettiğinden vurucu olduğunu düşünürüm hep. Theo’ya mektuplarda da Van Gogh’un melankolik iç dünyası hakkında oldukça bilgi sahibi oluyoruz.

Yaşadığı parasal sıkıntılar, kendi tekniğini bulabilmek ve yaptığı şeyin üstüne bir şey koyup koymadığından emin olamaman
MihaElla
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's July, still. Just for a couple of days more. According to the official calendar today it's 29th July, 2018. I had to look into the phone app as I don't keep any paper calendar in my room [and I don't trust my harddisk on weekends] and going to the kitchen would have cost me changing my present comfortable writing position.
I was reading a letter dated July 1880. So, again with the precious help of the calculator app inside the phone, I am able to capture the time gap between my present and
Carol Rodríguez
No voy a puntuar este libro. Son cartas reales de una persona real que existió y no soy nadie para puntuarlas, me parece feo. Es correspondencia real y creo que su destino no es ganar más o menos estrellas.

Es una lectura muy concreta, qué voy a decir. A quien le interese la figura de Van Gogh, como es mi caso, le gustará acercarse a su correspondencia, porque es una forma de conocerlo mejor. Lo que recomiendo es haber leído previamente una biografía suya, porque si no las cartas no se disfrutan
Abeer Saleh
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
شاهدت قبل أيام قليلة وثائقي عن ڤنسنت ﭬان غوخ, وأكثر ما لفت انتباهي وقتها هو حياته الصعبة التي قادته إلى الانتحار في النهاية, ليموت فقيرًا, معدمًا - وهو الذي بيعت لوحاته بملايين الدولارات فيما بعد - منبوذًا من مجتمعه, مجنونًا في أعينهم.
حياة بائسة, مضطربة, لم يخفف منها إلا الرسم و وجود شقيقه الأصغر "ثيو" الذي رافقه طوال حياته, ليخلد اسمه في التاريخ بعد ذلك كتكريم ورد جميل من ڤـنسنت لثيو, ثيو الذي لحق بشقيقه ودفن بجانبه بعد 6 أشهر من رحيله, " ليستقرا معًا إلى الأبد ".
بعدها عثرت على هذا الكتاب بالصد
David Gustafson
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably not something for the casual art fans who have gathered a summary of van Gogh's life from various library collections of his works. In fact, the first four hundred pages can be a rather "more of the same" struggle for Vincent's loyal devotees even though he is an excellent writer.

Then, the unfortunate illness begins to take control and Vincent actually becomes a more likable human being. It is also worth noting that during this last year, even as he was shuttling between hospita
Beril Yılmaz
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resim ve ressamlar hakkında bilgi birikimi olan veya ilgili olanların çok rahat okuyup keyif alacakları bir kitap. Benim için öyle olmadı:) kitaptaki mektuplardaki abi kardeş diyaloglarını çok beğendim, dili çok akıcı ancak bazı sayfalarda o kadar ressam ve resim ağırlıklı bölümler vardı ki isim isim isim sürekli bakmak gerekti. Madem resimle ilgin yok neden okudun derseniz merak ettim, okudum, pişman değilim 136 sayfanın 95inden gayet keyif aldım :)
S©aP
La sensibilità, non solo artistica; la coscienza dei propri limiti; le difficoltà economiche; le ombre della personalità; un'ingenuità genuina; e una caparbietà rara, da animale da tiro, contro tutto e tutti. Si passeggia con un senso di pudore dietro le quinte del genio, per trovare scintille.
Walaa Fathi
حسنًا لم تكن هذه الرسائل عادية أبدًا حيث شدّتني بشكلٍ أكبر للبحث حول حياة جوخ النفسية واضطراباته الواضحة لذا رافقت القراءة بفيلم وثائقي وقراءة سريعة مختصرة عن حياته .
---
فانسنت فان كوخ ، رسام هولندي ، أصيب بالزهري وأعطاه الأطباء مدة 7 سنوات للعيش بعد سنوات انخراطه في ارتياد الحانات ومصاحبة من فيها ، هو ابن قسيس معروف وحياتهم كانت جيدة منذ الصغر حيث لم تكن عائلته ضمن عوائل الفلاحين بل كانوا ضمن العوائل التي كان وضعها جيدجدًا، ولد قبله بسنه أخوه فنسنت فان جوخ الذي توفي بعد 6 أشهر وكان فانسنت يرى قب
Tretratti
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grazie Vincent adorato.
Grazie Theo.

"Vorrei fare il ritratto di un amico artista, che sogna i grandi sogni, che lavora come l'usignolo canta, perché è questa la sua natura. Quest'uomo dovrebbe essere biondo. E vorrei mettere nel quadro la stima e l'amore che ho per lui."
Saana
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It feels a bit strange that this book is finally over. It took me longer to read than most books and still I feel like the end came quite quickly. But then again, isn't that exactly the case with his life?

I read this book to learn more about van Gogh as a person and I must say that I was surprised. He wasn't what I expected him to be. If you have a somewhat mysterious or divine image of him, this book will probably crush it - in a good way. For me it meant putting an end to any sort of romantici
Dorcas
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is in serious need of a re-read. I read this when I was about thirteen, and aspiring to be an amazing artist. Vincent Van Gogh fascinated me. I never really loved his art (shhh) but the mad, passionate artist appealed to me. And can you get any madder, any more passionate than Vincent?

I also read this with much sympathy for Vincent's brother, Theo. What a long suffering, sweet person to stand by your side. Hero Theo.

I loved this book and Irving Stone's sister book, Lust For Life. Both
Heather
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Van Gogh was clearly not mad, rather he was articulate, well read, thoughtful (and perhaps a bit desperate). Heartbreaking at times since we all know how it ends
SemneBune
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Putem să-i spunem profeţie sau intuiţie, chiar nu are importanţă, dar ideal ar fi să-l bănuim de conştientizarea propriei valori; şi când spun asta, departe de mine intenţia de a ermetiza superlativele în clişee. Nu e cazul, şi oricum nu vor fi niciodată suficiente pentru a-i cuprinde, înţelege şi aprecia opera. Pare greu de crezut că Viile roşii din Arles este singurul tablou pe care artistul batav l-a vândut în timpul vieţii sale, dar acesta este adevărul. Astăzi, cele trei picturi în ulei int ...more
S©aP
Avevo già letto e commentato (vedi qui) una selezione delle lettere di Vincent, meno ampia di questa, costituita di soli scritti dedicati alla pittura. Qui, diversamente, le lettere scelte ci lasciano addentrare un po' di più nella psicologia del personaggio Vincent, nelle sue faticose relazioni familiari, nei segni che il pregiudizio ha inferto alla sua vita, nei dolori e nelle umiliazioni che patì, per il solo fatto di avere una sensibilità paradossale e un carattere ostinato. Ma anche un padr ...more
Pınar Kaya
İntiharından sonra cebinde bulunan mektubu da okuyup boğazım düğümlenerek kapattım kitabı.

"Yıldızlara baktığımda düşlere dalıyorum, tıpkı bir haritada kentleri ve köyleri gösteren siyah noktalara bakarken düşlere daldığım gibi. Neden, diye soruyorum kendime, gökte pırıl pırıl parlayan noktalar da Fransa haritasındaki kara noktalar kadar ulaşılabilir olmasın? Bizi Tarascon ya da Rouen'a nasıl bir tren götürüyorsa, yıldızlara da ölüm götürür. Yaşadığımız sürece yıldızlara varamayız, nasıl ki öldük
Eℓℓis ♥
Caro Vincent,
in una delle lettere che scrivevi, con tanto trasporto, a tuo fratello Theo ti auspicavi ciò:

Voglio fare dei disegni che vadano al cuore della gente. […] voglio fare tali progressi che la gente possa dire delle mie opere: «Sente profondamente, sente con tenerezza» – malgrado la mia cosiddetta rozzezza e forse perfino a causa di essa.

A distanza di 128 anni posso affermare con assoluta certezza che sì, ci sei riuscito.
Questo compendio di epistole mi ha dato modo di scoprire il la
Federica
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an emotional journey inside the mind and soul of one of the artists -if not the artist- that, in my opinion, better expressed the whole world through their pantings. Not to mention that he is my favorite painter of all time.

I had always felt a strong connection with him toward his works, and now, while reading, I felt it again and even more. His letters to his beloved brother, trough the ups and downs of their relationship and of Vincent's life, show a sensitive, insecure man, aware of
Virginia
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Non rammarichiamoci troppo delle nostre imperfezioni, poiché chi non ne ha, ha quella di non averne, e chi si ritiene saggio sotto ogni aspetto farebbe bene a ricominciare a essere sciocco.
Julieth Alejandra
“Pienso aceptar abiertamente mi oficio de loco, así como Degas tomó la forma de un notario. Pero resulta que no me siento en modo alguno con la fuerza necesaria para un papel semejante”. Pág. 360
Simona
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leggere le lettere di Van Gogh significa entrare in una dimensione privata e intima che ci permette di conoscere, non solo il pittore, ma anche e soprattutto l'uomo con le sue paure, le sue angosce, il suo immenso dolore, ma anche le sue emozioni, il suo stile pittorico e le sue opere.
L'epistolario al fratello Theo abbraccia gli anni tra l'agosto 1872 e il 27 luglio 1890, raccontando l'amore fraterno tra due fratelli che avevano un rapporto di grande affetto e rispetto, a tratti, quasi morboso.
Bilge Ozan Kıran
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bence tutkular gemimizin yelkenleridir."
María Paz Greene F
Como documento es genial, como libro no tanto. Van Gogh es un artista, pero no necesariamente un literata. En sus cartas lo que más hace es hablar de pintura con su hermano, lo cual es tierno, le describe cada cuadro que va a hacer o que está haciendo, pero todavía aún más que de pintura habla de las finanzas. Se nota que lo pasa pésimo sin poder sostenerse económicamente. Es un diario muy humano, muy normalito, por así decirlo, que no refleja el espíritu que sí reflejan sus cuadros.

Y en general
Gülsen Sırma
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Şı kısacık kitaba sığan, müthiş ressamın hayatını içeren mektuplardaki satırların hangi birini anlatsam eksik kalır. Çok sevdiğim ressamın hayatındaki hüzünlere, sevgiye ve sevinçlere, resim aşkına ve kardeşine olan sevgisine dair cümleleri kendi ağzından duymak, okumak çok iyi geldi bana. Aslında çoğu hüzünlü ve umutsuzluklarla geçmiş ve resim aşkına tutunarak geçirilen bir hayat bu. Resimde kendini bulan, zaman zaman resim aşkını bir aile hayatına tercih etmesi arasında kaldığı ikilemlerle dol ...more
Melynda Yesenia
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
"Wait, perhaps you will see some day that I too am an artist, though I do not know beforehand what I can do; I hope I shall be able to make some drawings in which there is something human."

after i learned to treat this like reading someone else's mail, exactly what it is, i ended up enjoying having such a personal view of vincent's day-to-day. some of the passages about inspiration and how it is to be caught in a fury of creation and "become hopelessly absent-minded and incapable of heaps of ord
laurakenji
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Per chiunque voglia conoscere di più sui pensieri di Van Gogh, consiglio vivamente questo libro.
Un artista che ha dedicato tutta la sua vita alla pittura, e al suo modo di vederla, e che purtroppo non ha mai riscontrato il successo che si meritava quando era in vita.
Un artista a cui io mi sento molto affine e aver avuto la possibilità di leggere queste lettere scritte da lui stesso a suo fratello Theo, aver avuto modo di entrare ancor di più nella sua personalità e nel suo mondo e di conoscerlo
Hilal
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"elden geldiği kadar çok sevmeliyiz, çünkü asıl güç sevgidedir, çok seven adam büyük işler görür, büyük işler görebilecek güçtedir ve sevgiyle yapılmış iş iyi yapılmış iştir"
Víctor Galán
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leerse la correspondencia de una persona a lo largo de su vida no parece algo especialmente divertido, salvo que esa persona sea alguien importante y sus cartas contengan parte de la sabiduría que le llevó a revolucionar el campo donde se especializó.
Las cartas que Vincent le escribió a su hermano Theo cumplen la primera premisa, pero apenas sí la segunda. Es cierto que para los que estudian arte este libro es imprescindible dada la cantidad de nociones técnicas que da sobre las mezclas de color
What do you think? 2 16 Dec 08, 2013 11:52AM

• Portrait of an Artist: A Biography of Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Letters on Cézanne
  • The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Arles
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Lee Krasner: A Biography
  • Goya
  • Depths of Glory: A Biographical Novel of Camille Pissarro
  • Rembrandt's Eyes
  • Grant Wood: A Life
  • Joan Mitchell: Lady Painter
  • Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell
  • Leonardo da Vinci: The Complete Paintings and Drawings
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Vincent Van Gogh: Portrait of an Artist
  • Essential Pre-Raphaelites
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • One Hundred Flowers
  • Inside the Painter's Studio
Vincent Willem van Gogh, for whom color was the chief symbol of expression, was born in Groot-Zundert, Holland. The son of a pastor, brought up in a religious and cultured atmosphere, Vincent was highly emotional and lacked self-confidence. Between 1860 and 1880, when he finally decided to become an artist, van Gogh had had two unsuitable and unhappy romances and had worked unsuccessfully as a cle ...more
“There was a sentence in your letter that struck me, “I wish I were far away from everything, I am the cause of all, and bring only sorrow to everybody, I alone have brought all this misery on myself and others.” These words struck me because that same feeling, just the same, not more nor less, is also on my conscience.” 74 likes
“How rich art is, if one can only remember what one has seen, one is never empty of thoughts or truly lonely, never alone.” 47 likes