Start by marking “The Elves of Cologne” as Want to Read:
The Elves of Cologne

The Elves of Cologne

Zimmerleute, Bäcker, Fleischer, Küfer, Schneider – kurz: Jeder in Köln profitiert von den Heinzelmännchen. Sie verrichten des Nachts alle anfallende Arbeit und die braven Bürger stehen morgens ausgeruht auf. Bis, ja bis die neugierige Frau des Schneiders eines Abends Erbsen ausstreut, auf denen die Heinzelmännchen ausrutschen und polternd die Treppe hinunterfallen. Noch da ...more
Published (first published March 1836)

To ask other readers questions about The Elves of Cologne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elves of Cologne

Manybooks
Although Floris Books' The Helpful Elves thankfully never does attempt to claim that it is meant to be a literal translation of August Kopisch' mid 19th century German folklore poem Die Heinzelmännchen zu Köln (and I do wish that the city of Cologne had actually been mentioned in the English language title), and thus basically and yes truthfully states that its presented text is indeed a prose adaptation and thus only based on Kopisch' original verses, I for one (and being quite familiar with th ...more
Koutsi Maria
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mein Lieblingsbuch! Ωδή στα όνειρα της νύχτας που γεννιούνται αληθινά με το πρώτο φως της μέρας κι έχουν τη γεύση και τη ζεστασιά της αχνιστής φραντζόλας που ζύμωσαν και φτιάξανε, που πλάσανε και ψήσανε τ' ανθρωπάκια με τα κόκκινα...
sabisteb aka callisto
Heute kennt jeder irgendwie die Heinzelmännchen. Die wenigsten wissen, dass es sich dabei um eine alter, Kölner Sage handelt, die das erste Mal 1826 von Ernst Weyden erwähnt wurde. Wirklich weltberühmt wurden die kleinen hilfreichen Männlein erst 1836 durch die Ballade von August Kopisch, die mit den Illustrationen von F. Gareis zu einem beliebten Kinderbuch wurde. Das Gedicht ist mittlerweile public domain und kann beim Gutenbergprojekt nachgelesen werden.

Mir ist schleierhaft warum und wie dies
Craig
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The residents of the city of Cologne, Germany, have historically had a reputation for being less industrious as other Germans. Some call them lazy. This notion has given rise to the folkloric story of "The Elves of Cologne" which tells of elves which mysteriously appear at night to do the work for the tradesmen: the carpenter, the baker, the butcher, the tailor, etc. When the townspeople awake each morning, their work is done (their products are ready to sell) until one night something happens t ...more
Charlotte
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because I love rhyming poems and this book is like one long poem. It sort of creates a myth or folk tale for Cologne because it tells you why everyone has to do their own jobs.
Melody
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
My husband's aunt brought this to my daughter from Germany. Sweet story. My daughter didn't really care for it though. She's 9 so that may be the reason. She rated it 1 star; I'm giving it 3 because it is a cute little story, but I wouldn't purchase it myself.
Ashley Jones
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the classic plot. Its a nice book for all ages. Great to read to children.
Ilona
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I found this book when I was on the business trip in Cologne. I fell in love with the city right away and I fell with Cologne's elves. Happy reading:).
Daniel
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lovely book of my childhood.
Liesel