Start by marking “Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

great book!
Published October 1st 1983 by Merriam-webster+ Inc (first published 1843)

Start your review of Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary
Seizure Romero
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all you lazy f***s who won't use spell check
Freaking brilliant. Totally unique plot structure and a surprise ending that just blew me away. I can't say too many good things and I just can't stop reading it. The author's vocabulary is astounding.
Mariel
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wordsworth
Recommended to Mariel by: Doogie Howser
Word.
Carl
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have only started reading this book but find the plot to be all over the place. I can't really get a feel for where the storyline is going. It really is broken up into such small chapters that I'm going crazy! I have at least come to find out that what I am feeling is "Angst".
James
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alas and alack, I'm pining away over the demise of my thumb-worn tenth edition. Something in the way she lay--her clothbound boards downy to the fingers; her notches guiding my thumb to just the right recess; her intoxicating fragrance, within the folds, along the spine--attracts me like no other printing.

Alas and alack! She is put to rest.

A consumation devoutly to be wished for?

The eleventh edition, uncouth imitation of the tenth, feels hard to the touch and looks just as adamant, with its
7709kayla
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no clear plot to this book, no characters, no foundation. The authors word choices are astounding and truly descriptive.
Steven Nutting
Only one "twist" and "turn" in the whole thing so far, but I am only on the V's.
Michael
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students, intellectuals, writers
Shelves: reference
I recently learned that it is considered standard to gift recent High School graduates, on their way to college with a copy of
Oh, the Places You'll Go!. While I love Dr. Suess as much as the next person, it strikes me as a fairly useless, even insulting, present to give a young adult as they prepare to up their academic game and take on the challenges and competition of University life. My parents gave me this, which I’ve kept all these years, not out of sentiment, but because it is a vital
Christy Stewart
The most detrimental book in existence and Satanic by, ironically, definition.

Language is the most influential tool in mind control. Language is the external expression of reality as a personal paradigm and supplanting one’s language into another is to manipulate the person into experiencing only what you allow.

Looking up the definition of a word is like unto sitting in a mass being given in a language foreign to you and being denied the opportunity to experience the Bible yourself. It is
Jessica Norman
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love words!!!!!!
A book that is truly timeless.
Beautifully written, thorough, descriptive.

They say reading is knowledge... well this book proves that for sure!!!

No seriously? I'm a total weirdo I do in fact read the dictionary on occasion. whatever...
Josh
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everone and No one
Recommended to Josh by: Everybody and Nobody
What a wonderful book!!! I've read it like 63,000 times, I loved the characters, the plot was AWESOME, one of the best plots i ever read, though it was kinda hard to distinguish the plot cuz the whole thing's in alphabetical order and ya have to kinda re arrange the words to understand it, but hey, it's a small price to pay for a really great book! I hope Mr. Webster writes a sequel :)
Monica
Oct 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one classic I'm not sure everyone has to read. Lacking a narrative cohesiveness one is left wondering: what is the plot? Who is the main character? Can you pick one setting instead of ALL settings? For the more conservative reader, you'll find fuck, shit, and jackass are treated on equal footing with honor, cloister, and the. Other than being the source of one of the best parlor games I've ever co-invented (The Dictionary Game) this unmemorable tome is just a glorified doorstop. (It also ...more
Tom
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This by far is the worst book i've ever read. It makes no sense at all. There's no story line. No climax. No resolution or even a protagonist. I mean tells you what a protagonist is but there isn't one. This book is literally just a bunch of random words listed in alphabetically order and some information about the words. I can't even pronounce some of these words. This book is a piece of shit and couldn't even finish it. Merriam-Webster is the worst book author ever. Just thinking about this ...more
Tim Scherer
Jan 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so boring. The plot was very difficult to follow and for the life of me I could not identify the protagonist or antagonist... SPOILER ALERT: it ends in zygote!
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Writes in American English
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: The Copyeditor's Handbook
Everyone should own a collegiate dictionary--that is, a substantial, if still abridged, dictionary with far more information than you find by just googling a word--or that would even fit in a pocket dictionary. Well, anyone who has to routinely compose writing more complex than grocery lists. My old Random House College Dictionary proved perfectly serviceable for decades--which was the problem. The copyright was 1984. You couldn't even find the word "internet" there, let alone such words in my ...more
Joshua Huesing
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I figured out the plot about 12 pages in. Character development was weak. The ending was so predictable. I was looking forward to the movie until I heard Nicholas cage was getting the lead.
Guruprem Khalsa
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful dictionary has served me well ever since I purchased my first one in high school, beginning in September of 1968. It makes an excellent gift for any student with high aspirations! Looking up random words is often fun, especially if you "let one thing lead to another"...
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fern
There are many dictionaries in the world. Many crappy dictionaries. I quite enjoy this one. It seldom lets me down. I use it so often, I can find it on my shelf in the dark. What better way to spend a Saturday Night?
Mike Cyra
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-classics
My Dad always told me, "You want a good book to read? Pick up a dictionary." He was right.
Becky
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My roommate salvaged our copy from a trash bin. I like the way the red linen cover feels, despite the water stains.

I hope they're water stains.
Robert Beatty
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best dictionary out there in my opinion and I've tried a lot of them. It's also the dictionary that at least some of the big publishers use as well.
Skinnypeterm
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best dictionary I have ever used for anything.
Abram Dorrough
Pro: Expansive vocabulary
Con: Longest chapters ever. 26 in nearly 2000 pages
Thomas Walton
Very dry, I read it bits at a time. tough vocabulary, I have yet to figure out the story line, the theme seems to jump all over the place
احسان کیانی‌خواه
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English learners, users, writers, translators
Shelves: references
Marking a reference book, specially a dictionary or encyclopedia, as "read" is kind of strange - if not stupid. Some reference works sit in your book shelves among other books in your library to give you confidence. If there's any problem, they are there for you. You just simply consult them and that's it. But there are other reference books with which you deal on a daily basis. You can't work without them - the idea of finishing a page in their absence is intimidating. You need them just to be ...more
Brooke
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, there's always dictionary.com, but it's not the same as pulling out my well-used MW, thumbing through the pages, and coming to find the true meaning of a word. Where would I be without you, my dear dictionary?
Jimmy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The best dictionary I've owned. Don't really understand the purpose of the biographical and geographic sections; they don't contain enough information to be very useful, and Merriam-Webster already has special dictionaries for both subjects.
Coyora Dokusho
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My edition looks like this one (the blue one not the red one) and I am communing with this Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (c) 1965 to better understand my character who loves this book DEARLY. -hugs the book- my precious!!!!
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERY NERD IN THE WORLD!!
WOW!!! What an amazing book! It was so intense, I could not put it down! The duct tape almost fell off of my octagon-shaped glasses! I already knew what was in it, but it still made me use my HOTT tye-dye t-shirt for tissues sometimes!
Karen
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not kidding...one of my favorite books because anything ever written or read is in there...it's just a matter of putting the words in good order.
Brett James
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening. Drags a little toward the middle.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • Scholastic Children's Dictionary
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
  • The Buried: An Archaeology of the Egyptian Revolution
“3 quarto” 0 likes
“GENUINE MERRIAM-WEBSTER The name Webster alone is no guarantee of excellence. It is” 0 likes