Start by marking “Going to Sleep on the Farm” as Want to Read:
Going to Sleep on the Farm

Going to Sleep on the Farm

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"How does a cow go to sleep--tell me how?" a little boy asks, and his father replies, "A cow lies down in the soft sweet hay, in a cozy barn at the end of the day". In this tender bedtime story, each of the animals in the barnyard prepares for the night. 29 full-color illustrations.
Published May 4th 1992 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Going to Sleep on the Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to Sleep on the Farm

Lauren Monsey Nagel
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites
This is a delightful story that shares a conversation between a little boy and his father at the end of the day. The boy is still playing on the floor as he asks his questions. The dad is right there telling him a story about how the animals sleep. Heartwarming and cozy to read to little ones.
Every time my grandson spends the night this book gets read. Dan is getting older now, he's 7 years old and can read this book himself now but he still enjoys this being read before bedtime. I enjoy it too
Jen
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, classics
My children have all enjoyed this book for bedtime reading. Our copy no longer has the hard front or back cover; it is that well loved. The book is best for very young children, those learning animal identification and animal sounds...I would guess infant-age three or four.

A boy has his farm animals out and asks his father how each animal goes to sleep. The dad, who at first is reading a book himself (love it!), answers his son is rhyme. As the story progresses another animal is added to the i
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I like this book for the illustrations, in which sunset scenes of farm life are beautifully drawn. The colors and the peacefulness of the scenes make me sleepy even as I read it. A great bedtime book!
Lucy Ingram
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is great for asking children questions about what they're observing in the story. The story itself also asks questions which you can also direct towards children. Very informative and also perfect illustration in order for children to gain a great understanding.
Elizabeth
This was a cute story of a father and son discussion about how animals fall asleep. It was very repetitive for me however.
Kim Vu
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Going to Sleep on the Farm is a story by Wendy Cheyette Lewison of a dad and his son. The dad is asking his son about the animals on the farm and how they go to sleep. The son tells him of how the animals go to sleep. The story concludes by the dad asking how the little boy goes to sleep in which the son is already asleep, so the dad takes him and tucks him into bed.

Juan Wijngaard's illustrations for this story is very methodic in its strategy. It depicts the animals getting ready to sleep as a
Allison Hunt
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
In this beautiful children's bedtime story, author Cheyette Lewison poetically portrays a curious boy and his tired father, winding down for the night while the little boy asks him questions about all of the different farm animals. "How does a cow go to sleep--tell me how? How does a cow go to sleep?" The poetry of the words makes this book perfect for putting children to sleep, and they can learn a few things as their eyes close. To the credit of the illustrator, Juan Wijngaard,the illustration ...more
Wyatt Fessenden
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Going to Sleep on the Farm by Wendy Cheyette Lewinson is a sweet bedtime story. This book depicts a little boy and his father playing with a farm set, while his father tells him all of the ways the animals sleep. It is poetic and can be read to a broad range of ages.

The illustrations in this books are really interesting and remind me of the book, Zoom . The father first tells the story of how the cow goes to sleep and lastly tells of boy going to sleep. As he moves throughout the animals, the
Florence Baumgardner
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young children.
Going to Sleep on the Farm by Wendy Cheyette Lewison pictures by Juan Wijngaard
Primary ages ISBN-13: 9780140557435
Going to Sleep on the Farm by Wendy Cheyette Lewison pictures by Juan Wijngaard is written for children P-Primary ages 5-7. This picture book is about a young boy who is on the floor playing with his Father. He asks how each animal on the farm falls asleep and his father tells him. At the end his father is caring him to bed and tells him how he is going to go to bed. The illustrator
Winni
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is becoming beloved again, as it has become a nap-saver for my second son while waiting for our third child after already having been a nap-tradition for my first--back in the day when he took naps...!

My favorite thing about it right now is that my son almost has it memorized and has started "reading" it to me for the most part at his naptime. These are some of most frequent and consistent and cherished memories with him right now. I hope to keep this copy as an heirloom. Maybe I'll buy oth
Ina
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Breathtaking illustrations, in soft late evening light, and simple text - some rhyming with a repeated phrase - make this an ideal snuggle up bedtime book. There are actually two stories here: we see pictures of a young boy and his dad, playing with a farm set and asking how various farm animals fall asleep; then we see the actually animals as they fall asleep. Charming, warm and lovely right up to the last page, where we see the boy fast asleep under his animal covered quilt.
Samantha Catalano
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time! I grew up on a farm, and they authors really did a fantastic job portraying life in the country. I particularly love the pictures in the book, they are really what makes it so fantastic! The author and illustrator worked together perfectly to create a perfect book about going to sleep on the farm.
Jenny
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
One of my favorite bedtime books! Soothing repetition, farm animals, and detailed illustrations. I love the different views of the farm and the pig pages are my favorite. I was really bummed when a certain 2 year old ripped our copy into hundreds of tiny pieces. Thankfully he didn't do that to the library copy too. I'd definitely buy this one again.
Meg McGregor
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"How does a cow go to sleep--tell me how?" a little boy asks, and his father replies, "A cow lies down in the soft sweet hay, in a cozy barn at the end of the day."

This is just a beautiful book to end the day with your baby! Watch out! You may find yourself nodding off too!
Gordon Pennington
This book is a pretty straightforward look at how various animals on the farm go to sleep. While not the most riveting topic at a glance, it was actually somewhat fascinating to see how the animals folded up into their nighttime positions. This book would be a good companion to a unit on farms or sleeping patterns.
Jen
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly lovely on so many levels. Beautiful illustrations, repetitive lulling soothing story line will actually be the perfect book to read right before bedtime or a nap. We really love this book - it's getting worn out at this point. This was the first book my daughter started reading to me because we had read it so often. Can't really say enough good things about it. :)
Tanya
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, i-own-it
This was one of my favorite books to read to my children right before bedtime because it has such a soothing rhythm. It's all about all the different animals on the farm getting to bed and night, and ends with the farmer's little son going to sleep in his warm bed - the perfect transition to tucking in my girls and turning out the light.
Jennifer Bryant
Good book to read to a child before bed or nap time. Flows very nicely and easy for the kids to read along to. Shows how various farm animals go to sleep, and eventually tells how a child goes to sleep. Great for youngsters who like animals.
Chris
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a really enjoyable, really moving and really cute children's picture book. It had really beautiful illustrations, great characters and a really cute story. It's one of my favorite children's books in my whole life. Anyone who love farm animals will enjoy reading this book.
Jul 13, 2013 added it
Shelves: science, family
This book reminds me of "Wake Up Kisses" about animals that sleep all day and are awake at night. This books talks about how animals sleep. These animals sleep at night like we do. I remember thinking that it looks so uncomfortable to sleep standing up like horses do.
Alice
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars an interesting GOOD NIGHT BOOK. A boy is playing with his farm toys on the floor and ask dad how each animals goes to sleep--horses sleep standing up, pigs cuddle up together, little boys sleep in warm beds...there you!
Angela
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a good bed time or nap time story.The little boy shows us how all the animals prepare and go to sleep on the farm. then we get to see the little boy himself fall a sleep. Great picture book with colorful illistations. I recommend this for prek- 1st grade.
Maisie
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-illustrated, 2017
This is a well loved book in our family and has a very calming rhythm to it; perfect for bed times. When I first read it to my youngest, she kept asking "really" after each animals bedtime routine was explained. It was too sweet.
Meg McGregor
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi

Jenn
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This was one of my son's favorite books - my mom got it for him and we read it EVERY night for a long time - great illustrations and just a wonderfully sweet story - I used to know it by heart and could recite it to him even when we did not have the book!
Alise Durkota
Very sweet book about a son who questions his father about how animals go to sleep on the farm. In the process the son falls asleep and his father places him in his bed for he had fallen asleep like all of the animals on the farm.
Bridget
This book has a fun cadence to it. It talks all about each animal on the farm and how they sleep.

This is on the hardcover shelf.
April
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this Children's book!
Melissa Baldwin
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One of our favorite bed time books to read to the kids... gorgeous lush illustrations too
Nicole
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is probably my boys' favorite book. very easy and fun to read, and the pictures are gorgeous!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »