Start by marking “Distant Shores (Star Trek: Voyager)” as Want to Read:
Distant Shores (Star Trek: Voyager)

Distant Shores

(Star Trek: Voyager)

Washed up on a faraway galactic shore, Captain Kathryn Janeway of the U.S.S. Voyager faced a choice: accept exile or set a course for home, a seventy-thousand-light-year journey fraught with unknown perils. She chose the latter. Janeway's decision launched her crew on a seven-year trek pursuing an often lonely path that embodied the purest form of the Starfleet adage "to b ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published September 13th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Distant Shores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Distant Shores

Start your review of Distant Shores (Star Trek: Voyager)
Elizabeth Perez
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All star trek voager fans!
This was a great collection of stories that answered a lot of questions about the show. Here is a break down of each one.

De Capo Al Fine 1- I didn't understand this one until I read the second half so be sure to read them together so it makes sense. Overall a good story 4*

Command Code- I liked seeing more of how Tuvok actually felt about everything that happened after 'caretaker'. I also enjoyed Tuvok and Chakotey introspective side. 3.5*

Winds of change- In this one Kes and B'ellana hung out an
Erica
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many cities of men he saw and learned their minds, many pains he suffered, heartsick on the open sea, fighting to save his life and bring his comrades home.

Distant Shores opens with this quote from Homer in the Odyssey, and I consider this quote to be perfect for Voyager. I also think that this book with 12 different stories, with one being split into two parts, is an amazing idea. I really like the fact that we get to glimpse back into Voyager's journey and get these extra stories with our
Tayryn
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the stories were good. My favourite though, was Isabo's Shirt. How I wish that one had been an actual episode.
Meg McGregor
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories depicting events that happened during the Voyager's 7 year odyssey back to the Alpha Quadrant. As is the case with most anthologies, there are stories that I really liked and some not so much but all of them had interesting ideas and worth the time to read them.

My favorite story was 18 minutes. This extremely clever story sets out to discover what the Doctor was doing for three years through the perusal of his own personal logs and the author just so gets th
Jimyanni
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A fairly good collection of short stories; the quality of the stories ranges from high in the 2-star range to low in the 5-star range. There's a nice mix here, spanning a time frame from early in the first season through the second half of the seventh season, ignoring the prelude and epilogue, which are the least interesting of the stories and seem to be more or less at the same time as the series finale.
Angela
A short story collection with stories based in most seasons of Voyager. There's a few really stand out stories here, Tuvok coping with trust issues, Neelix getting over Kes, and the Doctor on an away mission. A good read.
Ross Vincent
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
25 years ago today, Star Trek Voyager launched.
15 years ago, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Star Trek Voyager, this book was published. A collection of short stories, it explores various said adventures the crew had during their 7 year voyage to get home. We learn about Kim's lost love. About Chakotey's misreading of a gift. Tuvok's attempt to merge two polar opposite crews, while protecting the safety of ship. About Neelix's final goodbye to Kes. About what Mark (Janeway's beau back h
Lance Card
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
There are some good stories within this anthology but there are also some really slow tales that are uncompelling. Due to the latter, I didn't feel any urgency to return to the book and finish reading. Thus completing the read took a while.
Terry
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Read

A lot of critics of this book. Some stories were better than others but I enjoyed my time reading. Voyager always feels like family.
Benjamin Plume
Stories within ranged from two stars to five stars... overall a pretty good collection. I especially enjoyed “Eighteen Minutes.”
Andrey Petrov
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for continuing a Star Trek: Voyager binge after running out of episodes. Stories vary in quality, but lots of gems that make the whole thing worth it.
Anushka Fernando
I bought this book purely to read Isabo's Shirt by Kirsten Beyer and I was not disappointed. It fit into the series perfectly. 5 Stars! Did not read the rest of the stories.
Amy
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-owns
This is a pretty good collection. What I really liked about this is that ALL of the stories take place during Voyager's 7 years in the Delta Quadrant. I remember reading a Next Gen collection once and so many of the stories were prequels (probably so they could invent characters), which I don't appreciate. The majority of the stories in this book are character-driven which I really like, you can't get much action or plot in 20 pages anyway, and the characters are why most of us want to read the ...more
Kirsten
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of stories! These are all much more character-driven than episodes of the series were, so that's fun to read. If you're looking for something more like an episode, skip this one, but if you're looking for pieces more along the lines of character development, these are great. All sorts of characters are featured here - all of the regulars, and even some of those recurring characters that we forget about.
Jay
I love these anthologies which add meat to the stories in between the canonical episodes. This volume brought me back into some of the most intriguing Voyager premises, as well as introducing a few new stories.
One of my favorites (from a radical anti-ableism perspective) was Robert T. Jeschonek's "The Secret Heart of Zolaluz."
With that, this volume also has some editing inconsistencies and redundancies in story themes.
Srinivas
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A really great collection of short stories. This is the first short story collection in the Star Trek universe that I have come across, and really loved this. Each one of these stories gives insight into the mind and heart of one of the primary characters in the Voyager crew

In many ways, I found this collection even more enjoyable than a full Voyager novel.
Am definitely gonna try to find more such Star Trek collections.
Phillip
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of VOY short stories. Now, I'll admit that there is a subtle line between fiction and "fan fiction," and a few stories fall into the latter category. But a lot of these stories add details to characters and episodes that were shown in the series. Definite recommend if you are any type of VOY fan.
Melvin Patterson
An anthology of short stores set in the Star Trek Voyager series. Several stories were quite good. Others I didn't particularly care for but that's more a matter of personal taste. All were well written and edited and overall I enjoyed the book thoroughly.
Beth
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a collection of short stories, set at various times during Voyager's seven years in the Delta Quadrant. Some of course were better than others, but on the whole I enjoyed them all.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong collection of stories from Voyager's journey. Some pretty impressive stuff in this one.
Felicia Latoya Brown
There is one story in the middle of the book that is truly worth reading.
Dark Quest Books
LeeAnne
Jun 14, 2016
Victor Hugo
Jun 25, 2012

• Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Fusion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #2)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)
  • Architects of Infinity
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)
  • Spirit Walk (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #1)
  • Evolution (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #3)
  • Seven of Nine
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • A Pocket Full of Lies

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Murdered Sun
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)

News & Interviews

“Afraid she would laugh, she focused elsewhere, landing in Tuvok’s familiar, structured psyche, which she always pictured as a spice rack, neatly organized alphabetically,” 0 likes