Start by marking “Eight Animals on the Town” as Want to Read:
Eight Animals on the Town

Eight Animals on the Town

A skillful mix of English and Spanish adds a special flair to this lively, rhythmic picture book. It's non-stop fun when eight animal friends-ocho animales-head out to the market to find their supper. There's queso for the mouse, leche for the cat, and much more. And when all of the animals are fed, it's off to the baile to dance the night away! Brought to life with Lee Ch ...more
Published November 11th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Animals on the Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Animals on the Town

Dionne
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun way to review Spanish words and learn a few new ones. Was only a one-reader for my son, though.
Kai Seifer
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-230, picturbook
A great mix of Spanish and English
Kids will like the animals within the book
Kathleen Heroux
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: latino-latina
This book could be used as a read aloud or independently by an elementary school child. the author, Susan Elya, has written this counting book that introduces children to some basic Spanish words. the illustrator, Lee Chapman, uses warm, bright colors in his pictures of whimsical animals. The majority of the backgrounds of his pictures show a dated, agrarian Mexico with people wearing similarly dated costumes.
Hannah Carlson
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it incorporated Spanish words, counting, and animals all into one book! I think it would be a great book for students learning English as their second language or for for English speaking children to learn a little bit of Spanish. I even learned a bit of Spanish that I didn't know myself!
Mandi Murphy
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
I would have liked to have a pronunciation guide somewhere in the book to help with some of the spanish words that I had never seen before. My son loves the illustrations in this book. He has me read it to him and then he "reads" it to me.
Trang
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esol
This is a lovely book that blends English and Spanish in a way that creates flow and rhythm. This is a great book for non-Spanish speakers and native Spanish speakers. It allows for all children to enjoy and understand the fluidity of language whether it is in Spanish or English.
Samantha
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310-01
I liked this book due to the fact that it is a mixture of spanish and english words. Children can learn simple spanish words that are supported by pictures, and the english word as well. I would recommend this book for ages 2-9.
Sharonneika
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great rhyming book that teaching children their numbers from 1 to 8 in English and Spanish. It also has great illustrations. Recommended for ages 4 -6.
Emily Blay
This book is good for introducting the spanish language. I could read this book which studying CInco de Mayo. The pictures are really colorful which helps to keep students' attention.
Emily
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book! Good intro to some basic Spanish vocab
Abigail
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully drawn. Learn Spanish words not just for counting to eight but also animals and what they eat.
Andrea
Great book incorporating spanish and english words. Also good to learn spanish numbers and animals. For younger grades, k-2
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2011 added it
Shelves: math
This book emphasis counting as well as incorporating Spanish. Could be helpful with esol students or Spanish instruction. I recommend this book for Kindergarten-3rd grade.
Aspasia
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-aidan
Eight animals/animales go to town to buy some food. Spanish words are sprinkled throughout the text to make it more fun.
Lucy
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Toddlers, Pre-K, bilingual, phonological awareness, vocabulary, numbers, animals, rhyming.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bilingual, fiction
-Eight animals that go to the market and join in the festivities
-Geared towards Pre-K to 1st grade
-Great flow of Spanish and English
Cute picture book designed more to help children learn a few spanish words then to be acutually bi-lingal, but it is a lot of fun.
Jennifer Ho
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it was a good counting book for young children. Throughout the text, the author uses Spanish words to teach children another language, other than English.
Erica