Start by marking “Relentless” as Want to Read:
Relentless

Relentless

Per più di due decenni, il leggendario allenatore Tim Grover ha preso i grandi - Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade e altre decine di giocatori - e li ha resi più grandi. Ora, per la prima volta, rivela ciò che serve per ottenere questi risultati, mostrando come essere implacabile e raggiungere tutto ciò che desideri.
Traduzione ITALIANA a cura di Francesco Rizzi.
Published April 16th 2013 by Scribner

Start your review of Relentless
Christopher
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite quotes from Tim Grover:

• Never stop until you get what you want. Then keep going until you get what's next. Then you go for more. Relentless.

• If you don't make a choice, the choice will be made for you.

• Success is not the same as talent.

• When you fear losing, you can't focus on what you need to do to win.

• Everything is impossible, until someone does it.

• Whatever's in your glass now, empty it. We're starting fresh.

• In order to have what you really want, you must first be who you
Amina
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book, this is a way of life, it may seem difficult or not really tempting when you go through it but how much are you willing to sacrifice for the life you want?
Some may say that the author is arrogant, possible, but as the pages turn, you'll be convinced otherwise, he takes his craft very seriously and he expects you to do the same for yourself..
There's a lot of talk about Jordan, Briant and other NBA stars but you know it is appliable to any area of life..
If you're looking for a
James Cogbill
Tim Grover offers some good lessons about how to be the best at what you do, but his completely values-agnostic approach--be feared rather than liked, go to your dark side to stay "in the zone," and an apparent disregard for teammates or subordinates--makes it hard to get completely on board with his philosophy. While I like his emphasis on "never quit" and being relentless in general, I think it's possible to do that while being values driven, caring for, and developing those around you.
Lisa  Carlson
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: how-to
The best thing I can say about this book; it looks nice on the shelf. Are you a cooler, closer or cleaner? Really? For those of you who admire Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Charles Barkley and any other sports person you'll love it because thats all he really uses as examples. My favorite is how he informs us how he wished Tiger Woods hadn't apologized for leading everyone on because you have to foster your dark side? None of the greats in sports and integrity would ever buy into any of this ...more
Mario Tomic
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered what separates the best of the best? Is it just more talent, more hard work or is there something else? This book offers great insight into what might be the defining factor of extreme performance. The author, Tim Grover, had one job. To take athletes who were already among the greatest of all time and make them better. His clientele includes Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Charles Barkley and many more legends. And in this book he dives into the mindset, and the ...more
Petri Poikolainen
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is crap. If you want to be jerk, this is guide for you.
Brad Mills
This book was a mission to try to finish. I only made it half way through before throwing in the towel.

It reads like a sales letter for a high end coaching program. I though the sales pitch would end eventually, like maybe it was a creative technique employed to setup the main content of the book.

25% through it still felt like a high pressure sales tactic.

I usually like books like this - inside stories about high achievers, sports stars and celebrities...but this just felt ingenious and
Emma Sea
Grover is an interesting guy.

"My family came to the United States when I was four, and my father went to work in the basement of a hospital in Chicago, dismembering cadavers. When there was no school and both my parents were working, he'd take me with him; I was five years old the first time I saw my father dismantle a corpse. When I was six, he handed me a bone saw and told me to help."

Grover's basic thesis is that there are three kinds of people: Coolers, Closers, and Cleaners.

"In a Cooler,
Nick
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arrogant. A mantra people can use to justify their lack of balance.
Mario Tomic
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite mindset books explaining what it really takes to achieve extreme high-performance. Tim Grover classifies athletes as "Cooler, Closer, Cleaner" which translates to good, great, and unstoppable. An athlete such as Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are cleaners. They are addicted to success and driven to do whatever it takes to win. I'd highly recommend everyone to read this book.
Chris Brunet
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly couldn't get through this one. The author just repeated himself over and over using different examples and metaphors, in between talking about how great his athletes are/were. I'm sure he is a great coach but as far as books go... nope.
Travis Mewhirter
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I've read this year. It's more 232 pages of Grover patting himself on the back than it is a decent, useful read. There isn't much to learn here, other than Grover would like you to follow all of the rote cliches: dig deeper, try harder, don't bend to the norms.
I'd leave this one on the shelf.
Joe Rush
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swamp-challenge
What a waste! Don't bother reading.
This guy is so full of himself it's comical. I made Mike Jordan and Kobe Bryant better. Please!! You're Relentless and Unstoppable because you conned me into buying your book of narcissistic BS!!!
Ashley
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like reading success stories, and how to up your mental game, but I struggled to get through this book. The author often comes off sounding narcissistic and lacking in any moral compass or sense of being guided by values. He writes about men, for men, and doesn’t make an effort to include perspectives other than the male basketball players he’s worked with. This book is completely lacking in evidence to support his methods or examples from other fields, yet he argues how his principles ...more
Lautaro Cisterna
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad book. How I suppose to become a cleaner is there is now HOW. It just says things that cleaners do, legends as Dwade, Kobe or MJ. But there is no HOW to become a cleaner. How I can get in the zone? Dark side? THE RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS? Seriously? What about the process? If you read "How champions think" of Rob Rotella you will realize that this book is pure bullshit. I was completely disappointed
Kari Guenther
Basically, how to be a narcissist. Or "Michael Jordan, Michael Jordan, and that one time: Michael Jordan." Two stars because he's real about what he believes it takes to be "the best," including ignoring family, never celebrating accomplishments because a real Cleaner/the best is always left wanting more, and making people fear and respect you...minus three stars because this book isn't applicable to anyone but that .01% who wants to throw life away to be numero uno. Wouldn't recommend.
Scott
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
I couldn't get through it. The first chapter was great. But he says the exact same thing using same words and sentence structure for each chapter for the rest of the book. It's painful.

This book would have been much more interesting if he gave actual examples of working with Jordan, Kobe, and Wade.

Marco G
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books I have ever read. This book was written for dumb people. An alpha males take on how to achieve your goals but reads more like an infomercial for his training Style. The book is interesting when he delves into a little bit of his clients like Michael Jordan Kobe Bryant and Charles Barkley among others but there is so little offered in the way of concrete strategies it was a real disappointment. I read this book in the hope of gleaming some kind of edge in self-improving. ...more
Matt Libid
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Grover needs to be more RELENTLESS and be the “Cleaner” that he talks so frequently about in this book and clean up his writing. Reading this book was like reading a late night text message conversation with one of your buddies. The book is also filled with corny lines such as, “If you see me in the forest wrestling a bear, help the bear.” And Grover constantly attempts to nibble some credit away from his star trainees (Jordan, Kobe, Dwayne) to put himself on the limelight. Overall, a ...more
Hamza Nasir
One of the most important books I have ever read, and definitely a fixture in my personal top 10 books for self-transcendence and actualization. Look, Grover's tough and what he is trying to get across to you in this book is an ATTITUDE of absolute excellence. A lot of what he says is counter to popular self-help and to be honest may not seem completely healthy. What's the thesis of this book? To become an icon you must be willing to go where no one else is, and be able to sacrifice what no one ...more
Derek
Relentless is a no-nonsense self-improvement book that takes no hostages and does nothing to coddle your little insufficiencies. Never will you encounter a book that is this honest and straighforward. Where most books tell you about inner drive and passion and purpose, Relentless urges you to get off your fat arse and do your work.

Cooler. Closer. Cleaner. The distinctions of performance are pretty well defined. That's a great reality check. I'm sure everyone on first encountering the three
Alkan Öztürk
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information! While I was reading the book, it motivated me really strong. Besides reading, I also watched a few Micheal Jordan videos and that made me realize how powerful he really was.

A bad critique would be the way he repeated a lot of stuff. Honestly, it is enough to read the titles of the chapters and get what Tim Grover wants to communicate. You can understand how a Cleaner really thinks and behaves. Besides that, there are stories of basketball games.
Maxim Shilo
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tim tells in his first book how he managed to get to mentally train NBA superstars like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade - these names are top of the top.

Here are my highlights of the book. Unfortunately I did some more listings here but the copy limit reached it pretty quickly so there was no way I'd get to finish it here.
Anyways tons of value for 15 minutes read here. Check it out, yo!

Every dream you imagine , everything you see and hear and feel in your sleep , that’s not a
Tim Baumgartner
I started summarizing the chapters in chapter 5 [see what is in italics].
Here's why I gave this two stars:

This book is written by Tim Grover, the one who trained Michael Jordan (and Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, etc.), who shows how to be the best in the WORLD in various things (whether it be sports, business, etc.). However, doing something like this is VERY costly (as you can imagine). There seems to be a lot of truth in it (as far as achieving that goal), but I struggle to agree that it would be
Bradley
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: better-me
One star as two stars comes up as "it was okay" which this most certainly was not.

It was repetitive drivel. A sequence of buzz words and meaningless phrases strung together and then repeated.

Did I mention this was repetitive?

If redundancy was removed from the book it would probably be a quarter of the size. If it was reduced to actionable advice a couple of paragraphs would suffice.

By the way, this book is repetitive. It repeats stuff frequently saying the same thing over and over.
Rasmus Visgaard
Repetitive, monotonous and just a bragging book. However I do enjoy the mentally of “never quit” and such, but I believe that people who read this book are most likely already “Closers” - which to me didn’t sound bad, so I don’t see a reason to read the book, unless you plan on being like MJ for example.
He only uses examples of athletes, most of whom he worked with. Which I believe is a shame. I would have loved to hear about “cleaners” in other businesses :-)

I do not recommend it.
Hitessh Panchal
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay !! This book may seem like biographies of Michael Jordan , Dwayne and Kobe combined ! But within the book , you will find real world tips.

This book is not to be just read , it has to be re read again and again , till it becomes your way of life.

Brett Miller
There are a few great stories about NBA legends, but this book would have been more effective if it were half as long.
Darshan Sitharthan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: impact-theory
This is the book those who want to be the best of the best need to read! Tim Grover has spent most of his life training stars such as Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant to keep pushing the bar and he wants you to do the same. While an appreciation of sports and NBA will add to the impact of the book everyone can find something in here to help them reach that next level. Grover expertly weaves personal anecdotes about himself, his clients and their work together to elucidate his points and give you ...more
Dennis P.
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Downright dirty, practical, in your face coaching in book form. I liked it and I'm craving for more.

The only introduction this book needs is that the author is the personal trainer of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, among a few other legends (I hope you read that with a sarcastic tone as is intended).

You might be tempted to ask "Who?" as I did. I don't follow sports, and I secretly make fun of fanboys who follow it too closely. I know the greats and legends by name, true (and who doesn't), but

• Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • Man Up: How to Cut the Bullshit and Kick Ass in Business and in Life
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • Be Obsessed or Be Average
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • Rise and Grind: Outperform, Outwork, and Outhustle Your Way to a More Successful and Rewarding Life
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
  • #MAXOUT Your Life
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
“Fuck “try.” Trying is an open invitation to failure, just another way of saying, “If I fail, it’s not my fault, I tried.” 23 likes
“Being relentless means demanding more of yourself than anyone else could ever demand of you, knowing that every time you stop, you can still do more. You must do more.” 21 likes