Start by marking “The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2: The Terror of the Southlands” as Want to Read:
The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2: The Terror of the Southlands

The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2: The Terror of the Southlands

(The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2)

Hilary Westfield is a pirate. In fact, she’s the Terror of the Southlands! She’s daring, brave, fearless, and . . . in a rut. Maybe she hasn’t found any treasure lately. And maybe she isn’t fighting off as many scallywags as she’d like. But does that mean she and her loyal crew (including a magical gargoyle) deserve to be kicked out of the ranks of the Very Nearly Honorabl ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #2

Ally
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Hilary Westfield, you unmitigated delight. My only complaint about this book is that it ended.
BookishStitcher
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids love listening to the audiobooks for this series while we drive in the car. It's so witty and charming!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

These days, I’m just not all that into middle grade books. That’s what I’m realizing. As they’re becoming, I think, increasingly popular, I’m trending the other way. I found Magic Marks the Spot to be hilarious and full of adventure. Somehow, though, I didn’t feel nearly as invested in this second book. It’s some combination of my mood, my boredom with most middle grade, and the book itself.

The Terror of t
Kristen
The Terror of the Southlands is the second book in a middle grade series about a girl pirate in a land with magic. Hilary is reprimanded several times during the book for “unpiratical behavior” but she cannot help but try and save the Enchantress, who has gone missing. With the help of her crew, she sets off on an adventure to prove her piracy and help save the kingdom.

I love the narration of these audiobooks and adore Katherine Kellgren. I especially love the different letters and newspaper art
Anya
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Same light hearted writing and tongue in cheek portrayal of pirates and a life on the high seas as the first book. I wasn't quite as entertained, but I'm excited to see where book three goes. Full review on the blog.
C.J. Milbrandt
The Enchantress is missing, and Hilary, who has earned the name "Terror of the Southlands," and her crew are determined to find her (and rescue her if necessary). Finishing school girls and high society ladies. Queen's investigators and piratical etiquette. Scallywags and wagging tongues.

One of the things I love about this whole series is how seriously every person takes the rules & etiquette that applies to their way of life. The pirates are just as obsessed with style as the high society
Tamara York
A bold and daring sequel to the first swashbuckling adventure on the high seas. A thoroughly enjoyable family audiobook. Highly recommend.
Rani
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are delightfully clever and fun. I can’t wait to read them to my grandkids someday!
Kati
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Abby: “This book is an amazing adventure book. It makes you just want to scream; it’s so much fun!”

My girls and I (7 and 5 years old) loved reading this together. So far, it’s their favorite series. It’s so great, we read them every night!
Bonnie
Hilary Westfield has finally achieved her ultimate goal in life: she’s an official member of The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates. But life as a pirate has been, as of late, not exactly full of thrills. This has clearly not gone unnoticed as she’s just received her first warning from the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates that her membership is about to be revoked if she doesn’t start acting more pirate-y. Hilary and her crew head off on a search to find the lost Enchantress and she ...more
Elissa Schaeffer
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun on the high seas (and on land) with Pirate Hilary Westfield, better known as The Terror of the Southlands. The entire crew is back and tasked with solving the mystery of the missing Enchantress. Old enemies return, new friends are made, and Hilary's standing in the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates may be in jeopardy!

While I think I may have enjoyed the first book more, this one was so much fun to read, with the usual narrative and then the articles, letters, and other corresponde
Elevetha
A charming sequel to Magic Marks the Spot, with just as much magic, hardtack, manners, unpiratical behavior, hilarious forms/letters/newspaper columns, and the always incredible gargoyle as featured in the first book. However, in this one, we have the added addition of a missing Enchantress who needs some rescuing, Hilary nearly getting kicked out the VNHLP, and some pirates who mostly deal in catering delicious food.

A relevant quote:

"I'm not very good at making friends, but I believe I'm quite
Elise
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun second installment in the series. Violet loved it; Luke got seriously annoyed at the audio book though on our long drive and was so happy when it was over :).
Blanca Urbieta
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cwdavenport
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my new favorite series. I have loved Harry Potter for so long, but my 6 year old does not want me to read it to them. I started looking for books that I can read with my son. This series is one I think he will enjoy. I absolutely loved it. I bought it on audible and I absolutely love Katherine Kellgren's performance.
This series is about a little girl that wants to be a pirate. There is magic and lots of action. I love how well the characters are written. I laughed so much at Hill
Jane
If you like witty, swashbuckling pirate adventures, especially when the buccaneer involved is Hilary Westfield, who has left Miss Pimm's Finishing School for Delicate Ladies to set sail on the high seas, you'll love this book--the second in the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates trilogy. With her friends Charlie and Claire, to say nothing of her amazingly funny, trusty companion the gargoyle, Hilary embarks on a quest to rescue the Enchantress of the Northlands. This book is full of magic a ...more
Jill
Another very fun book in the series. And also a coming-of-age story for both Hilary and Charlie as they start figuring out what is important to them. Claire is a part of the book and she has a VERY important role to play. Plus, one of the villains was actually a surprise. Lovely twists in this story.
Zaz
It was an enjoyable sequel, full of pirates and adventures, but also an investigation. It was entertaining and the characters were as much likable as before, but my focus was on Claire who had a more important role this time and it was very welcome! As previously, I enjoyed the little letters and articles, they were less funny than in the 1st book, but they still added some humor to the read.
Karen
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this, the second book, more fun and entertaining than the first. Maybe because the characters have already gelled, so the author was able to move the action forward much more quickly. Or maybe because the author was able to set up more layers of intrigue. Either way, I liked the second book more than the first.
Linus
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. I love these books and I can't wait to read book 3
Jillian
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light piratical fun as Hilary's adventures on the high seas continue. The strength of the plot and the level of the stakes both seem to slip a little, but the humor is still spot on.
Erika
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son and I are having fun listening to this series together as we drive to and from school each day.
Maureen Pezzementi
The adventure continues with a spunky heroine. Thoroughly enjoyed!
Amy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emma
Better than the first book in the series. More action and piratical behavior too!
Roshan
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable sequel. A good read for children.
Arielle
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little book.
Patty Robinson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable book. Just purchased the third book and looking forward to reading it.
Anu
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator is awesome.
My kids aged 9 and 11 love these audiobooks.
Tara
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ya-kid, 2017
The second book in this series is absolutely as perfectly delightful as the first one. I'm moving straight on to #3. (The audiobooks are awesome, too!)
Jessalyn King
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9-12, audio, fantasy
Cute.

Again, the audio reader is amaze-balls. You should listen to everything she reads.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle (Gabriel Finley #1)
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Smek for President! (Smek, #2)
  • Odder Than Ever
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Witches
  • The Whatnot (The Peculiar, #2)
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain
  • Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child
  • An Army of Frogs (Kulipari #1)
  • The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes
  • Parched
  • The Map to Everywhere (The Map to Everywhere, #1)
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • How to Catch a Bogle (City of Orphans, #1)
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • The Goblin's Puzzle: The Adventures of a Boy With No Name and Two Girls Called Alice
Caroline Carlson is the author of funny and fantastical books for young readers, including The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates trilogy, The World’s Greatest Detective, and The Door at the End of the World. Her novels have won accolades from the New York Times, the American Booksellers Association, Bank Street College of Education, the American Library Association, and Junior Library Guild, ...more

The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates (3 books)
  • Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1)
  • The Buccaneers' Code (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #3)