Start by marking “Court TV Presents: Murder in Room 103” as Want to Read:
Court TV Presents: Murder in Room 103

Court TV Presents: Murder in Room 103

Exchange student Jamie Penich left her small Pennsylvania hometown to see the world, but her journey ended with a brutal attack in a shabby motel room in Seoul, South Korea, where the raven-haired 21-year-old was found naked and stomped to death. Investigators zeroed in on soldiers, turning out barracks and trolling seedy bars for the GIs who partied with Jamie in the hour

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Court TV Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Court TV Presents

Lynda M. Breeze
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No answer but excellent

tho I like many Americans demand an answer; that things b solved in 1/2 he or less this book provided the facts that allow a person to reach a conclusion. the conclusion, right or wrong is supportable & satisfying. what a tragic loss of life w/o reason. well supported & well written. engrossing I couldn't put it down. imagine my distress when I saw Jamie's headstone & saw her birth date was the same as that of my son deceased at age 20.
Joi
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True crime set with exchange students in Seoul? Of course I was going to give this 5 stars!

I'd never heard of this story, and frankly and glad I didn't read this until after my teaching-in-Korea days. Jamie Penich, a small town girl, went to Korea on exchange, and two weeks into her trip was brutally murdered. She was partying in Itaewon (a neighborhood I used to frequently party in), when she went back to her hotel room in the wee hours her face was literally stomped in. Who did it? Was it the
Kimberly Bearce
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very thought provoking. I still wonder who did it. It shows you how different we in the US do things and how another country does it. I felt like the book had a lot of twists and turns. I was up to all hours because I just couldn't put it down.
Shannon Glen
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
My only wish is that they came up with a definite murderer. Very good writing.
Bert Edens
From my book review blog at:

Woo hoo! Two non-review request reads in a row! :)

Considering this book was published in 2006 and covers a murder committed in 2001, why did I pick it up? Several reasons, really.

First and foremost, my study of taekwond-do has led to have a great appreciation for Korean culture. This book, being the story of an American exchange student killed in South Korea, was perfect for feeding the knowledge horse.

Second, I have always love
Bettye McKee
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A true crime mystery

This incredible book is about the brutal murder of Jamie Pichen, a foreign exchange student in Korea. From the beginning the crime was ineptly investigated. The crime scene was trampled, evidence was thrown together in bags, and witnesses were scattered.

A few suspects were singled out and interrogated for hours at a time, but no leads were developed. Then one suspect was badgered into confessing to the murder, asked the same questions repeatedly until the "correct" answer was
Matthew
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: korea, non-fiction
Murder in Room 103 might appear to be a cheap true-crime garbage novel better suited for soaking up spills with its low budget cover and pseudo-tantalizing title but I urge you to read it. It's much more fascinating than it appears. Just when you think the story is going to wrap itself up with justice, it gets weird. The crime occurred in 2001, gained a shocking false conclusion in 2002, upset many in 2003 and then was published in 2006. However, the story got even more strange after that in 200 ...more
Leslie Jem
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because Tracy from 2 Knitlit Chicks podcast recommended it, and I wasn't disappointed. Not only was the real murder case fascinating, but it was extremely well-told. The author was unusually impartial. If you are looking for a tale where all the conclusions are drawn for you, yolu will be disappointed. I completely agree with the author's assessment: the more I learned about the case, the less I understood what happened in room 103.
Ashlee
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and shows a good, non-biased perspective of this unsolved crime. The book kind of hits home, since the suspect was from my undergraduate college! This is next for me to send out to my book-club girls!
Kim Mathews
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting.
Mari Anne
Just an okay true crime story. Nothing overly exciting.
Jen
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2 1/2 stars. I really ended up scanning most of the book. An average murder in real life book; the only twist, a strange confession.

Georgann Garrett
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Korean trial

Interesting how this case was handled. There is no way to know who murdered this girl with the preponderance of evidence.
Mary Jane Follett
May 27, 2015
Carole Russell
Jul 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: Murder in Room 103, by Harriet Ryan- 5 Stars 2 12 Sep 28, 2018 09:09AM