Start by marking “Isn't it Romantic” as Want to Read:
Isn't it Romantic

Isn't it Romantic

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The play deals with the post-college careers (and dilemmas) of two former classmates, a short, slightly plump would-be writer named Janie Blumberg, and her tall, thin gorgeous WASP friend, Harriet Cornwall. Both are struggling to escape from lingering parental domination and to establish their own lives and identities. In Janie's case this leads to an inconclusive involvem ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Isn't it Romantic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isn't it Romantic

Grace Leneghan
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wendy Wasserstein never disappoints. I loved the telephone messages concept throughout and how most of them in the original cast at PH in NYC in 1983 were famous actors (Meryl Streep, Patti Lupone, Kevin Kline, etc). The audience would have just heard their voices, instead of ever seeing their character. I thought all the characters were lovable and real, especially the friendship between Janie and Harriet. Really counting my blessings I wasn't a young career driven woman in the 70s/80s who also ...more
anna
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women who are stuck in the 80s.
Shelves: theatre
Kind of the antithesis of what I'd read if given the choice. And it makes me believe, probably to my detriment, that a play can be completed in half an hour on a date-less Saturday night - which, to some extent, I believe this was...
Rachel
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's not one of my favorite plays, but it's good enough.
Gregory Knapp
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
The current discussion--brought about by the recent Broadway revival of The Heidi Chronicles starring Mad Men's Elizabeth Moss--of whether Wasserstein is "still relevant" is idiotic.

This talented and generous writer--to look for a moment just at her politics (although she is a much bigger writer than her politics)--was part of a group of writers and thinkers and activists who took The Movement as far as it could go at that particular historical moment (the late 1970s and the 1980s).

To look back
Lizzie
Aug 03, 2013 added it
Shelves: nyc, script, theater
I don't remember much about this one, but I think it's really interesting to write about the post-college ick of life. While this is a "romantic"-ish comedy, it's also about that, and I think I'd appreciate that all the more with a revisit.

I read this originally out of a copy of the Heidi Chronicles collection, which I don't have any more. But I'd like to get one.
Mylissa
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books, plays
Weaker then Uncommon Women I felt but still very interesting. Strange choice to have some characters never show up on stage. Can you have it all or in the pursuit of that do you automatically miss out on something? Or are required to lower standards? The pressure of parents. All relevant themes although I think her plays tend to be considered dates but the themes aren't!
Monique
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had to perform a monologue from this for my acting class. At first I didn't like it but it grew on me. I really need to read it again to write a more thorough review. I was 21 when I first read/performed this, I'm 37 now. I think time and experience will give me a new perspective on it.
Jamie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama-theater
Familiar territory after reading "Uncommon Women and Others," this is an enjoyable, cringe-inducing glimpse of life for young women after the cocoon of college has disintegrated and before the metamorphosis has occurred. You know, it's not called an "awkward phase" for nothing.
Martha
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
terrific play
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As in Wasserstein fashion, we are left to question can women have it all?
Rachel Richardson
Kate
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Machinal
  • Love! Valour! Compassion!
  • Caroline, or Change
  • Plenty
  • The Ride Down Mt. Morgan
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
  • Fires in the Mirror
  • Talley's Folly
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • The Complete Plays
Wendy Wasserstein was an award-winning American playwright and an Andrew Dickson White Professor-at-Large at Cornell University. She was the recipient of the Tony Award for Best Play and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
More about Wendy Wasserstein