Start by marking “Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals” as Want to Read:
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals

Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals

This is the low-fat book cooks who care about wholesome, vegetarian-inspired food have been waiting for, with more than 280 recipes that are as delicious and trustworthy as those in the Moosewood Collective's previous books.

With fourteen chapters, ranging from savory soups and main course salads to creative side dishes and aromatic Mediterranean and Asian-inspired dishes,
Published October 29th 1996 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

Start your review of Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals
Kay
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For years, two of my favorite cookbooks were the original Moosewood Cookbook and The Enchanted Brocoli Forest, another Moosewood title. I loved the recipes, the quirky illustrations, and the whole philosophy behind these books. Several dozen recipes from the books became family favorites.

Alas, as the years progressed and the pounds accumulated, I found that those recipes became reserved for special occasions or splurges, as almost invariably they contained too much fat -- butter in particular. W
Charlotte
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people anxiously waiting for the farmer's market to have asparagus
Shelves: cookbooks
I know, right, low-fat? But when I was flipping through it in the bookstore I couldn't find a single recipe I wouldn't make. And so far all of them have been really delicious, except the muffins where you replace the butter with applesauce. They had a weird texture. Butter is best. But the Vietnamese hot & sour soup was/is awesome. I might sprinkle the leftover on my peas to keep the squirrels away... ...more
Lori
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Moosewood Low Fat Favorites is simply the best cookbook I own. The recipes are vegetarian (not vegan) but you definetly do not have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these wonderful, delicious recipes. I am a mother of four children ranging from ages 16-5 years and I usually look for easy to prepare, visually appealing, great tasting meals and this book delivers on all fronts.
Here are just a few of my families favorites; Spanish Pepper Frittata, Middle Eastern Chickpeas with Spinach, Lighter Lasagna,
Katrina
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Just about all of the cookbooks from the Moosewood Collective are wonderful. Lots of veggies, simple straight forward recipes, and clear descriptions. This one has some great recipes. Savory Onion Marmalade is awesome on foccacia, Middle eastern Cannellini Patties and the Middle Eastern Chickpeas with Spinach are tasty and I love the Fat Tuesday Red Beans and Rice. But, this collection feels dated with it's discussion of the importance of low/no fat and quite a few of the recipes would have me s ...more
Laurie

~Red Berry Kissel 3*s
~Dark Chocolate Pudding 4*s
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
What I like about this cookbook is that included with each recipe are suggestions for other recipes in the book that go well with it. This makes it very easy to plan meals in advance and have all the different dishes go together. Also, the recipes are simple and delicious.
James
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to a library book sale I own a copy. Uses old school measurements and has nutritional data. Also contains fish recipes, most Moosewood books contain only vegetarian recipes, surprise! Has an OK chapter on nutrition.
Carolanne
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: foody-stuff
sad that there aren't more vegan recipes or at least they aren't easily called out (some recipes even have fish which I don't consider vegetarian :( ) . Will be trying some things though. The illustrations are adorable
Patti S. Flores
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have had this cookbook forever - everyone should have a copy.
Virginia Campbell
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When the iconic Moosewood Restaurant first opened for business in Ithaca, New York in 1973, it changed the way that many people viewed the vegetarian lifestyle. Eating healthy won new acceptance, and vegetables gained celebrity status. Four decades later, the restaurant is still going strong. The menu changes daily based on fresh, locally available seasonal foods. The "Moosewood Collective" is the group of people who cook and create the menus for the restaurant. From all walks of life and varyin ...more
Peter Scholtens
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I love recipe books. I only cook occasionally, but I love to read recipes and think about shopping for the items and preparing the food. So I purchase recipe books when I find them for reasonable prices.

I also have have a fascination for Moosewood Restaurant. I think it started when we lived in BC. We had a friend there who was a fantastic cook, often cooked vegetarian, and had several Moosewood recipe books on his kitchen shelf.

So, I was a sucker for this book when I saw it recently at a used
Freyja Quinn
Nov 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegetarians
I put this low-fat vegetarian cookbook to a true test - Thanksgiving dinner for 6 non-vegetarians who don't necessarily care about low-fat recipes (they did make turkey). Toward the back of the book there's a page with their recommendations for different big food events (eg Thanksgiving) and this is the list I used to build the Thanksgiving menu.

Each dish had its fans and detractors, though I enjoyed all of them. For the most part everything was well described. I did run into a few problems with
Anna
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My father is on the cardiac diet, and it's been a challenge finding recipes that either have 125mg/sodium per serving or can be adapted to fit that dosage.

This cookbook is great because it has so many low-fat and low-sodium dishes - my family doesn't feel like they're suffering!

Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup (pg. 102), Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos (pg. 172), Curried Sweet Potato Roti (pg. 230), and Caribbean Stew (pg. 260) are just a few of the recipes we've tried so far.

Disclaimer:
Stacy
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Studies show that vegetarians tend to gain weight initially once they stop eating meat. Due to the lack of meat protein, they compensate with fat and carbs. Also, certain vegetarian classics like heavy Eggplant Parmigiana may always not be the most diet-friendly.

I was glad to acquire this cookbook, a collection of lighter vegetarian dishes from the legendary Ithaca, NY vegetarian Moosewood restaurant. Based on whole grains and vegetables, with a wide range of ethnic influences, the cookbook off
Steven
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
It's a great collection of recipes for anyone looking for low-fat recipes. There are sections on describing ingredients, their uses, and their nutritive value, and each recipe has its own nutrition label based on standard serving sizes. There are certain caveats about using this book, however. The recipes themselves are easy to execute, but I often find it difficult locating or justify paying for certain (expensive) ingredients given a limited budget and sometimes a time constraint. If these are ...more
A.b. Hushour
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This has been a go-to cookbook in my household for years. Despite that, I have only really used it for two recipes - the New England squash soup and the three sisters stew. The squash soup is a great winter soup and it freezes really well. I would recommend doubling up on the mushrooms that garnish it since they are pretty tasty. The three sisters stew is a total colon blower - so beware. We lovingly refer to it as "soupy poopy." But don't let that scare you away, it is a hearty dish that will k ...more
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite, go-to cookbooks. I know that "low-fat" and "vegetarian" will send many people running to the hills, but I have tried so many recipes from this cookbook, and let me assure you that you won't miss the meat and you won't notice it's low-fat. No, really!

There are a ton of recipes in this book, and there's a recipe for every palate...the flavors span the globe several times over.

I love Moosewood!
Haley
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
My current favorite cookbook...I have loved everything I've made in it. I do wish there were some pretty pictures and a chunk of the ingredient lists are overwhelmingly long, but overall, easy and flavorful recipes abound. Yummmm.

Most satisfying recipes thus far:
-Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup
-Black Bean Chilaquile
-Macaroni and Cheese
-Penne with Creamy Walnut Sauce
-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Erika
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love so many recipes in this book. They put together combinations of different vegetables that I would never have imagined. I love how they list the nutritional info and recommend other dishes to go along with each recipe. My favorite recipe right now is the seasoned steamed artichokes on page 311. So easy and tasty! I make it at least once a month.
Katherine
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a good cookbook for inspiration and to get out of a cooking rut. Everything I've made from it has turned out really well. I'd give it 5 stars if it was a little more accessible. The recipes have a tendency to have a lot of ingredients that I don't normally stock and require a bit more time than I have. I generally can only use on the weekends.
Tinafb
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I rarely buy cookbooks since many of them only have a handful of recipes I want to try. Well, I'm glad I now own this one! It is FULL of delicious looking recipes. My copy is feathered with bookmarks of all the dishes I want to try. There are also a ton of great tips and the glossaries in the back are fabulous.
Loretta
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2010
Absolutely delicious, healthy recipes. I love that full nutritional information is given for each recipe.

Warning though: the recipes in this book tend to be pretty complicated, so I wouldn't work with this cookbook unless you had a fair amount of time to prepare meals. I tend to cook from this on the weekends, and go with something simpler for during the week.
Marciwood80 Gmailcom
I know some people won't consider this a book you really read, but as far as cookbooks go, I love it!!! This cookbook has so many great recipes and almost all of them are healthy. Many of the recipes are also pretty quick and easy. Also, although this is a vegetarian cookbook, they do cook with fish which I love. Really, I can't say enough good things about this cookbook!
Lesli
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am glad I borrowed this from the library. I did NOT like this cookbook at all. The recipes didn't seem appealing, there were no pictures (though pictures are not a requirement for my cookbooks), and I felt like the book played heavily on the renown of the restaurant. Until I picked up the cookbook, I'd never heard of the restaurant.
Ariel
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Loving the spinach-artichoke dip, the chilaquiles, and the section on sauces in this book. The layout is wonderful, the directions are simple. I didn't realize this was vegetarian(/pescatarian) when I picked it up (otherwise I probably wouldn't have), but I'm not sorry. I wish it had pictures, but the book is thick enough as it is.
Ruth
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I've only tried one recipe from this cookbook so far, but it was tasty and simple. I like the fact that most of the recipes included here use easy-access, fresh ingredients--and not an unending list, either. Busy people need these kinds of recipes.

All in all, it makes me want to travel and partake of the menu at the actual Moosewood restaurant someday. For now, this is a good start.
Kecia
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not as good as the other Moosewood cookbooks but a good resource if you need to cut back on the fats.

Try the cauliflower with yogurt curry sauce...easy and delicious! Works well for both fresh cauliflower or frozen.
Beth
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love to cook yummy food - low fat or not.
I absolutely adore this ccokbook - I have a handfull of recipes I make using this. They are fabulous (homemade veggie burgers, Chilaquiles, sweet potatoe burritos, excellent simple pasta dishes (think basil, olive oil,fresh parm & vine ripened tomatoes). I give this my highest recommendation. ...more
Lisa
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like to know their food
Another encyclopedic tome that not only gives you recipes to use ingredients, but also teaches you the basics of what the ingredients are and how they work. The lists of grains, vegetables, and beans, and how to cook them, are indispensible.
Nan
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
As a vegetarian trying to not base her diet entirely around cheese, this is a fantastic book. I've had a copy for a gazillion years and go to it regularly for inspiration. I particularly love the sweet potato black bean burritos and the butternut squash/mushroom soup. Delicious.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking)
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
  • Vegetarian Epicure
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
The Moosewood Collective is a crew of fourteen women and five men. Some of us moonlight from Moosewood, and among us we have a broad range of interests and avocations. Our group comprises musicians, singers, dancers, actors, performers, mediators, meditators, activists, teachers, trainers, consultants, writers, gardeners, editors, poets, artists, quilters, calligraphers, martial arts instructors a ...more