Start by marking “Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World” as Want to Read:
Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World

Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World

Speak, by popular blogger Nish Weiseth, is a book about the power of telling our own stories and hearing those of others to change hearts, build bridges, advocate for good, make disciples with grace, and proclaim God's kingdom on Earth today.
Nish Weiseth exhorts today's Christians to follow Jesus' example by using story as a vehicle for change. After all, Jesus was a maste
Published August 5th 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Speak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak

Jason Kanz
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
In her new book Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World (2014, Zondervan), Nish Weiseth encourages people to get in the habit of sharing stories with one another. On the back cover, she asks, "How would your life be different if you shared your stories rather than your opinions?"

I was drawn to this book because I believe the question she is asking is an important one. Part of what defines our humanity is that we live in relationship with others and each of us have our own unique stories. We
Suni
You should read this book, and then come over to discuss it with me over a beverage and snacks. We'll sit in comfy chairs by the big picture window and laugh and commiserate.

That's what this book was about to me: community, friendship, sharing life. That's what stories are to me.

I love stories. I love hearing them, and I love telling them. I am a part of a local community of storytellers. I even belong to a church that celebrates "story". In fact, I belong to the church that brought Nish Weiseth
Nathan Albright
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Note: This book was provided free of charge by BookLook/Zondervan Press in exchange for an honest review.]

Although I have never read anything written by the author (who is best known as a blogger about social justice and related concerns, and who is editor-in-chief of A Deeper Story, which provides a collaborative effort where writers (presumably politically liberal, given the contents of this book) talk about truths of God and caring for people in need), the contents of this book place her squ
Laura June
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
[I am a BookLook Blogger and received this book free for an honest review.]

Nish is a blogger who I've enjoyed following for the past few years. She is a Christian who openly discusses her struggles with the church and her faith. She is a wise woman with a sharp wit who also has no problem with the occasional expletive. Basically, she's the kind of woman you want to go grab a beer with and discuss life in all its messy detail. [If you haven't read her before I HIGHLY recommend taking a peek at he
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Where more sermons will not change the world, our personal stories, testimonies of a living faith, can. In Speak, popular blogger Nish Weiseth, stresses the importance of using a story as vehicle to explain the gospel, show grace, and proclaim God's Kingdom on Earth today. Though Weiseth doesn't promote a Kingdom Now ('over-realized') theology, it's obvious that goodness, justice, giving, neighbouring and church planting show the Kingdom to the world. In 8 short chapters stories from the Bible, ...more
Amy E Patton
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy E by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't often consume a book in one sitting, but I drank Nish Weiseth's book, Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World like fine wine in one refreshing evening. Nish knows the heart of story, and she understands how God can use it for His glory. Through truth telling and example, she skillfully encourages her readers to begin telling their stories and listening to others stories with open ears, minds, and hearts.

I recommend Speak to writers and speakers. I recommend Speak to parents, teachers
Julia
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great reflection on the value of relationship, authenticity, and listening in the context of a Christian life. I read this with my book club and it was really interesting to hear how we responded to the ideas about what it would really look like to value the stories of the people around us in our everyday lives and in faraway places in the world, or what it would look like for me to really value my own story.
Kevin Shoop
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Grade: A

Personally, this book couldn't have come at a better time. Although written from a devoutly Christian (not necessarily evangelical) perspective, I believe this book would be helpful for anyone who is struggling to find their voice in this world. For me, it not only gave me the courage to write again, but also the motivation to LISTEN to others, especially those whose voices are often muted. Highly recommended.
Kacy Lou Leyba
Hands down one of the best books I've read as of late. This book has inspired me to write-- to tell the stories of the marginalized and the voiceless in the Kingdom and seeking after God. This was exactly what I needed to read.
Stina
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has further inspired me to share my story with those around me. It benefits no one to walk around pretending that we have the perfect lives. God works in and through our stories, that goes for everyone. Even the "mundane" parts are important! Great book!
Annie Downs
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the book our generation of storytellers needs to read. Strong examples, deep heart stuff, really moving reminders of how we are to live and write and share.
Leigh Kramer
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The level of vulnerability and high quality storytelling made this a book I couldn't put down. Nish has given us all a gift with Speak.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Encouraging and authentic stories of ups and downs in the faith and how telling our story and speaking truth can be helpful.
Karen
Well, color me surprised.

I planned to hate this book. Actually, before I planned to hate it, I planned to summarily dismiss it and slide it back into the library book drop without cracking it open once I realized I'd selected a Christian book instead of the edgy and liberal power of story book I had expected - and hoped for.

I did not hate this book. I also did not love this book. I found many, many parts of this book problematic, infuriating, and troublesome, but I also saw something familiar
Lisa
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who doubt their life or story matters, this is a collection of stories to convince you otherwise.

Speak: How Your Story Can Change the World is a sometimes-gentle, sometimes not, kick in the pants for everyone, not just writers or storytellers or speakers, to tell our stories. And it is equal parts inspiring and convicting. (Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from Zondervan through the Booklook Bloggers program.)

The author, Nish Weiseth, is the founder of one of my favorite
SaraJane
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
pg. 14 "This is why story matters. Because when you listen to a story, you have to give up your stereotypes and your labels."

pg. 25 "The stories of how God transforms our lives and of how we connect with other human beings can have incredible power and influence in our culture."

pg. 27 "Story is the vulnerable sharing of your life experiences with others. It includes everything from the relationships you have with others today to the awkward moments in high school that you can't erase from your m
Hallie Szott
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-review

In Speak, Nish Weiseth advocates, with a perspective from the millennial generation, the importance of both telling and listening to personal stories. There is much transformative power found in a person’s sharing of his or her experiences, and interactions and issues with Christians and non-Christians alike can benefit from a candid beginning with story. Weiseth does a beautiful job of exploring how stories, told honestly and vulnerably, capably overcome
Alyssa
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, my-ebooks
I loved the basic, the bare bones, the heart of where Weiseth was trying to take us. We can only truly understand a person, their choices, their paths, their decisions by stopping, listening to their stories. It is all about being intentional and caring about those around you. By taking the time to slow down and listen to your neighbor's heart, you can make a difference in their lives. Ultimately, Weiseth is hoping it opens a door for evangelism.

Overall, I was left feeling incomplete. Wieseth is
Rachel Blom
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Speak is a passionate plea to follow Jesus’ example in using stories to reach people. Author Nish Weiseth believes stories can change people’s hearts and lives, and can be forces for justice for instance.

Considering the key message of the book, it’s no wonder it includes many stories. The author shares her story of being uncomfortable with certain policies in her church for instance, which illustrates how room for people’s personal stories can lead to more understanding and less division within
Erin Grasse
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This book was challenging. I really like how she approaches the notion of story-telling; it definitely shook up many of the ways that I so often jump to conclusions about people without knowing their full back-story.

What bothered me the most was the subtle ulterior motive that I felt accompanied said story-telling, almost as if one is merely listening to someone else's story in order to provide a segue for evangelization, which seems to imply that their story could not have meaning any other wa
Heather Marie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The book was well laid out and had great meaning. The lessons you can learn from it are truly good messages, but it was hard for me to one hundred percent connect with the lessons coming from someone very different than myself. I guess that's the whole point of the book though! ha!

I also didn't like all the blog posts inside the book. Felt kind of like a rip off. I could have really learned the same things from going to the blog instead of getting the book. Almost like a way to make money from
Joan
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(Full Disclosure: I received an electronic review copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Mrs. Weiseth, a popular blogger, majored in Philosophy and Religious Studies in college. She writes about telling our stories to build relationships to help others in small and large ways, as well as, being faithful to Christ and his kingdom. She tells stories well. At the end of each chapter, she has selected a story told by others.

Recommended for public libraries and small groups.
Jill
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up for an online book group and because I read an article by the author in Christianity Today that was really compelling. The premise of the book, that understanding the stories of others is a key to being a citizen of the world, works for me. Her examples are well-drawn, often moving. I also appreciate the practicality of it. Highly recommend.
ECLA Libraries
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
Review by: C.A. Meier

"Mrs. Weiseth really wants to have a coffee date with you. In her new book, Speak, she illustrates the power of storytelling. We all have a story to tell, and we do not realize how much power it conceals."

To read the full review visit:
Allison Garrett
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. Really dared me to think beyond where I would comfortably go. Prompted some attempted openness to ideas I disagree with. And I still disagree with some of them...but it was good to be challenged to think differently. Definitely made me think outward, something I need help doing! Cool to think of someone's story having so much potential. I'm all about a good story :)
Claudia Lee
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply put this book is an encouragement to own our stories and realize the power of God at work in them and through them as we are willing to transparently share. Our God has done mighty things! Let's not keep that glorious work of God to ourselves!
Jessica
The writing could've been a bit deeper, and more connected. Some more inspiring stories would've been nice too. The overall message though, is powerful. It's all about listening to others stories, and sharing our own to influence and save the world.
Tammy K
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was totally taken back by how much I connected with this book, given that I had never heard of it nor the author before. A must-read if you desire to see God in every aspect of life... and want your story to reflect His kingdom on earth.
Judy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another book that I read thru in one day. It's all about relationships, relationships, relationships. Hearing people's stories and sharing your own. Bein transparent and vulnerable. God's Kingdom breaking thru one person to another. Loved this book.
Lizzie Lowrie
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is well written, it has a few really genius moments when the author's writing, her illustration and the sentiment behind it come together to make something awesome. The rest of the book is good but didn't blow me away.

• The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape
  • Faith Shift: Finding Your Way Forward When Everything You Believe Is Coming Apart
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • Coming Clean:  A Story of Faith
  • Troubled Minds: Mental Illness and the Church's Mission
  • Falling Free: Rescued from the Life I Always Wanted
  • Found: A Story of Questions, Grace, and Everyday Prayer
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Love is a Choice:  Making Your Marriage and Family Stronger
  • Unafraid: Moving Beyond Fear-Based Faith
  • Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith Is No Longer Enough
  • Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • A Curious Faith: Rediscovering a Good God with Childlike Wonder
  • Free: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most
  • Chasing God
  • Choose Higher Ground
“Storytelling and personal narrative have the ability to reach the elusive millennial generation, the ones shoved out, marginalized, and made to feel “other” or “less than.” When you’re the one on the fringes, one of the most powerful things someone can say to you is, “Me too.” And really, it’s one of the most powerful things someone can say to anyone, regardless of status or social placement. The intrinsic value of mutual understanding and experience is immeasurable and priceless. Mutual understanding and sharing one’s experience are really just other ways to say “relationship.” Relationships are priceless, and relationships are built on stories shared.” 1 likes
“In this announcement, we are a part of a magnificent story — the story of God redeeming the world. We know this to be true because we’ve seen it in our own lives. God isn’t just a character in our stories; He’s the one who’s shaping them, writing them chapter by chapter, line by line.” 0 likes