Start by marking “Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth

Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth

(Wonder Woman)

The fourth book in the best-selling series by Paul Dini and Alex Ross. This beautifully painted book finds the Amazon Princess having a crisis of faith as she struggles to discover the truth behind who she is, what she represents, and the true nature of her mission.
Published November 1st 2001 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Start your review of Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
This is less graphic-novel and more a series of watercolor/oil paintings collected in a single edition where Wonder Woman just happens to be a primary subject matter. Beautiful artwork combined with stunning story-telling, Spirit of Truth gives life to a truly endearing Diana; Diana as a person and not a hero or god. The series of events in the story are inspired by the 9/11 attacks in America and dealt with utmost empathy and understanding. Political, emotional, heroic and honest; A must read ...more
Logan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
An Okay read. Basically this books is about Wonder Woman finding ways to help the world beyond just being Wonder Woman, I liked how it had her traveling the world under different personas helping in different ways, like being solider, being a doctor etc... Kind of reminded me of Man Of Steel and Batman's origin. Story wise its nothing special but this series has always been more of character studies then stories. Alex Ross's artwork is beautiful as always!!!
Morgan
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite out of the four because it Wonder Woman. I noticed this one was different from the others in the fact she was this goddess among humans. She doesn't really have an alter ego, so instead she has to make one. This one also deals with terrorism and the after effects of 9/11.
Eli
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016
I really like these DC 60th Anniversary Tabloids. The first one I read was Superman: Peace on Earth. The focus of these is the artwork (in my opinion). They're oversized books and the pages are filled with amazingly detailed artwork. The stories are also inspiring, broadcasting the best version of these heroes. In this one, Wonder Woman struggles with humanity not accepting her as an Amazon or superior being. She eventually learns from Clark/Superman that blending in and fighting against evil ...more
Sesana
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Like the other books in this line, it's really more of a character sketch than a real storyline. The basic idea here is to give an extended look at the character of Wonder Woman and illustrate it with very pretty Alex Ross paintings. And if that's all you expect, it certainly succeeds. But the depiction of Wonder Woman is a little on the shallow side. I'm starting to realize that some writers just have trouble with her, and Paul Dini seems to have been one of them.
Nancy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/09/0...

Usually, Wonder Woman is my blog partner's domain, but when I saw this oversized graphic novel that was illustrated by one of my favorite artists, Alex Ross, I just had to read and share!

Published soon after the tragedy of 9/11 in NYC, this story is shaped by the shock of the American people that terrorism could happen on our own shores. A such, it is a hopeful narrative that shows compassion to all nations of the
Himanshu Karmacharya
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
3.5/5 stars
There's no doubt about the painting prowess of Alex Ross and the writing abilities of Paul Dini. And when these two masters work together, the result has got to be one hell of a masterpiece. This series by this duo has been absolutely breathtaking both in the aspect of storytelling and art. However, Spirit of Truth falls a bit short than Superman: Peace on Earth. Nevertheless, its an amazing book. An insight on Wonder Woman's character and her motivations. A must read for WW Fans.
Emily Dones
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since I saw the wonder Woman I've been looking for comics to read about her. Here they present her essence. How she balanced the many phases of herself all different yet all of them make her what she is. Superwonder was very strong in this comic.
Jacob
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Part 4 of my review of "Absolute Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes", a collection of comics that until recently had not been in print since 2001. Written by Paul Dini and drawn by Alex Ross on pages the size of an average human head, it goes without saying that this is the shit. Holy crap, can it get any better then art by Alex Ross?

I've always liked Wonder Woman, but never really knew where to start with her, but this is a surprisingly decent introduction and deconstruction of
Khidr Niyazi
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Overall I'll say it's good, but the plot becomes meaningless. It's written in the aftermath of 9/11 attacks, presenting clash of cultures which in the end is meaningless. Diana struggles with her mission and gets involved in conflicts. People she tries to save don't trust her since she's a powerful Amazon stranger from a different culture, she seeks advice from her friend Clark Kent/Superman because he's the one who has knows such situations better than anyone. He states that people may see her ...more
Diego López Ocón
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How is it that nobody talks about this book? It was perfect.

We can always trust Paul Dini for a good story, and that art from Alex Ross, I would recognize it everywhere, glorious. For real, these took out the best of Wonder Woman in this book and showed that she is more than a goddess, she can also be a normal woman.

Short, yet, is anyone wants to know who is WW, and the ideals that she stands for, this is the perfect reading. I could reccomend to anyone.

WW as an embassador was a great time that needs to come back
Courtney Hatch
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Again, I'm not a comic book person. I wanted to do a little homework before seeing the recently released Wonder Woman movie (fantastic, by the way), and so I researched which story would be the best introduction to her character. I picked up a couple and got through this one first. It's a very unique format with oversized pages and amazing art-work. I also felt very satisfied with my introduction to the character and world of WW. Great first (or only) read if you just want to get your feet wet.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The story was compelling and a great look into the workings of Wonder Woman's mind. However, the thing that stands out the most is the art. Every page is truly beautifully rendered. I cannot stress my admiration for this illustrator enough. Just: wow. It could have had no words and I still would have needed to give it 5 stars on principle.
Samantha
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wonder-woman
This is an oversize graphic novel, with gorgeous water color illustrations that are the main focus. It's a somewhat origin story, dealing with what makes Diana care about humans and what motivates her to do what she does for human kind.
Patrick
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: u-s-a, literature
Basically, this is just a bunch of watercolor paintings put together, not a comic book per say. It has a very vague sort of plot, if any, and just follows Wonder Woman going around the world saving people from despots. It’s almost very indicative of its time (right after 9/11).
Mandy Galileo
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story and amazing art work.
Travis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Womder Woman shines with the art and writing of this book. Really inspiring!
Francisco Alfaro Labbé
The story was a little bit condescended with Wonder Woman and –at a certain point– with the reader also. The art, of course, was supreme.
C.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
More often than not, when you think about the super heroes of the world, you don’t consider the possibility that maybe some people don’t want their help. But that’s exactly the challenge faced by Wonder Woman in the Paul Dini/Alex Ross book WONDER WOMAN: SPIRIT OF TRUTH.

In this over-sized book (13.3 X 9.8 inches) Dini tells a story of Wonder Woman’s diplomatic duties and how they are often unappreciated. Growing up, I was never a big Wonder Woman fan. I collected her book for a while, but I can
Monean
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The comic book is hands down outstanding!
Jess
May 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wonder-woman
I generally like Paul Dini, and Alex Ross's artwork is of course beautiful -- but as a Wonder Woman story, I kind of hate this book.

Because the basic thrust of the story is that Diana is so alien, so far removed from humanity that she cannot empathise or relate to them. Diana. That's just-- I cannot even articulate how laughable that is. This is a character who has over and over again been portrayed as deeply compassionate, who is an ambassador for her people, who has shown time and again her
Christine
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This oversize Wonder Woman standalone is part of The World's Greatest Super-Heroes collection, that followed the events of Kingdom Come and also includes Superman: Peace on Earth, Batman: War on Crime, Shazam! Power of Hope, JLA: Secret Origins, and JLA: Liberty and Justice. Wonder Woman becomes... disillusioned by humanity's seeming hostility towards her peace efforts and begins to reevaluate her role on Earth. The story emphasizes Wonder Woman's essential "otherness" vs humanity, along with ...more
Zach Danielson
Not quite as good as the previous books in this series (Superman: Peace on Earth, Batman: War on Crime, and Shazam!: Power of Hope), but I still liked it. I can't decide if Wonder Woman is a great female superhero, or just a pretty face in a revealing costume. Maybe that's because most writers and artists can't seem to decide either.

If I like her, does that make me progressive or chauvinist?
Robin
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This wasn't what I expected, so I had to pull away and approach this from a different perspective. The artwork is beautiful and reminiscent of 1950s pop art, and I truly got a feel for Diana as a character, which I was hoping to find when I picked up the graphic novel. I won't say it's a very ambitious work, but it's an honest one.
Adam
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Art work is incredible and it gives a summary for the origin story of WW. The narrative is just a simple summary over several pages and doesn't have the emotional punch that you would hope for...it is simply the origin--story-in-brief and thus not a book I would recommend to introduce WW. The art work is amazing and thus the extra stars in the extra stars in the rating.
Rosa
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely gorgeous. The large format for the paintings is a genius idea and I loved the idea of Wonder Woman trying to become more approachable and going to Clark for advice. I also like being able to see the outcome of the advice. I know this is the last book in the series I definitely want to go back and read the other titles in the series.
Caroline Pisano
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stunning art and a really neat back story to Wonder Woman. I love how it acknowledged her attire as a sort of barrier to people taking her seriously in places where people were not familiar with her.

Frank
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one is even better then the Superman one. Another surprisingly deep story & fantastic art. The art is so wonderful you want to show it off to people and go "Look! Look how beautiful a comic book can be!"
Again I am so glad I own all these giant Dini & Ross books.
Jaq
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Filled with glorious artwork and some wonderful prose, it's a great testimony to the artists who created this.

Really very enjoyable - I loved the part where Diana and Clark sit down for a chat too.
Marta
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
Gorgeous artwork, nonexistent story. Why should Superman have to explain to WW how to be a good superhuman? She's been on the job for a while now, she shouldn't be as clueless as she's portrayed here.

• Trinity, Vol. 1 (Trinity, #1)
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Batman and the Mad Monk
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • Brightest Day, Vol. 2
  • JLA: A League of One
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman: Earth One, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman: Earth One, Vol. 2
  • Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 1
  • Absolute Justice
  • Squadron Supreme
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed ...more

Wonder Woman (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • The Wonder Woman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman #1 (Wonder Woman Vol. 1, #1)
  • Wonder Woman Archives, Vol. 1