Start by marking “The Biggest Snowman Ever” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  617 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Kids will adore this sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Biggest Pumpkin Ever!

When the mayor of Mouseville announces the town snowman contest, Clayton and Desmond claim that they will each make the biggest snowman ever. But building a huge snowman alone is hard! They work and work, but their snowmen just aren't big enough.

Soon they have an idea. As the day of the
Published October 1st 2005 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Biggest Snowman Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biggest Snowman Ever

Rachel
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This would be a fun book to read when winter break was approaching. It was a good story about team work and thats a good lesson for kids. It also had very busy and beautiful pictures with lots of good color to keep you interested in the pictures. It wasn't the best book I've read thus far but it also wasn't the worst.
Kasey
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book #1
The biggest snowman ever is about two mice that enter a snowman contest. In order to win, they decide to work together to make an even bigger snowman. This book was really cute and could be used in the classroom to discuss with students the importance of working together and collaborating with others.
Aiden and Jack
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2nd-grade-k-m
GRL: L
DRA: 20
Darinda
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gavin, 2017
Clayton and Desmond each want to build the biggest snowman ever to win the town's snowman contest.

A cute winter story about friendship and teamwork.

Allie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
Cute, simplistic, but good message about working together! (Keep)
Ellen Destler
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute book for the holidays!
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
*Review posted on Mundie Kids on 2/15/2012*

My family loves this story, mostly because we can all relate to little Nell. It's hard being too small and when you ask to help always being reminded that you're too small.

To escape being too little, Little Nell walks into the woods to "watch the snow fall from the sky" and there she finds a few true friends -- Reindeer, Bear Cub and Hare. She tells them that her "...family won't let me do anything. I could never make a snowman." The friends set up pro
Andrea
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is about two mice who compete to see who can make the biggest snowman. Both Clayton and Desmond are very bright and competitive, so they decided to join forces. Together they make the biggest snowman in Mousville. This book demonstrates to children that competition can be friendly. It also teaches young children about the value of working together rather than working alone. I think this book can serve as great value to children because at a young age children tend to be competitive an ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
By Steven Kroll
Illustrations By Jeni Bassett
Grade Levels: K-2
DRA/Lexile Measure/ 580L/2.3
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

This wonderful book is about the town’s snowman building contest, the winner of which will win a prize. After a few days’ time, two contestants discover that their snowmen are equal in size, so in order to win they combine the two to create one massive snowman. By working together they win the prize, which is a large wedge of Swiss cheese. It would be an excell
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Biggest Snowman Ever is the story of two friends, Desmond and Clayton, who decide to use teamwork and cooperation to achieve a common goal. Along with the other residents of Mouseville, Desmond and Clayton take full advantage of a winter wonderland where snow can bring endless possibilities.

Accompanied by Jeni Bassett's adorable illustrations, Steven Kroll builds a snowy landscape full of fun, friendly competiton, teamwork and snowmen that are bigger than life
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: my daughter
A sweet book that centers around the idea of teamwork. I loved the illustrations in this one because I'm one of those rare women that thinks a mouse is adorable. It was an ingenious way of working a short plotline having the two friends work together. Another thing I thought was cute was that the other contestants in the snowman contest didn't stop at just snowmen. There was a snow princess and a snow martian too.
Cheers and Happy Holiday Readings Kids!
TL
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it

I thought it a nice story and the drawings were cute but for me it was just okay. Little ones I think will enjoy this and it will get them excited to build a snowman themselves (the cold is another story haha ;-) ).

*Read this before putting it away for my niece for christmas*

Karen
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A cute book for the holiday season. I bought this book to be a part of my advent reading with my boys. It's a bit young for my 14 year old, but my 9 year old seemed to enjoy it. It showed how working together to meet a goal can be a good thing. All in all a good book and we will read again, but I may give it to some younger kids to be able to enjoy next year.
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Biggest Snowman Ever by Steve Kroll
Audio version so I am not seeing the colorful pictures.
They each make a snowman and see what the others have done.
The day of the contest and they had a surprise for everyone. They had both gotten together the day before and combined forces.
Jen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just love stories with mice in them and this picture book was no different. When the mayor announces a prize for the biggest snowman, every mouse has an idea of what they want to build. Desmond and Clayton are determined that each of they creations will be the biggest. What they find out through the story is that by working together, they can accomplish anything! Great feel good story!
Meg McGregor
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A sweet story about a snowman building contest and two friends who decide to combine their talents to make the biggest snowman ever!

Little ones will love the repetitive text and the whimsical illustrations.

But, I have to admit, my favorite snowman built, was the Martian Snowman.

Something about those eyes!
Daniel
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A cute story in which two mice learn that working together can produce a greater effort than both working individually.

The art is nice and the story appropriate. It's not likely to win any major awards or be a household favorite, but it's great for extra, or diversionary reading.

Definitely worth a dollar or two, or checking out from the local library.
Alice
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 Stars I like snow, I like snowmen...I don't like Miss. While I am willing to forgive Mice who dress up in scarves and play with snow...I didn't love this book. It was fine (yes what every author hopes to hear about their book...fine) but there wasn't anything that stood out. So go out, combine you efforts and make a big snowman!!!
Brooke Birchler
This is a cute story about two mice who work together to build the biggest snowman. This would be a good book to read to children to talk about what you can accomplish when you work together instead of against each other.
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book featuring mice who enter a contest to build the biggest snowman. Turns out that they can build the biggest when they work together! And when they are successful and win first prize, they share it--a big chunk of swiss cheese!

Sweet and charming illustrations by Jeni Bassett.
Jackie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter, snow
A delightful, wintertime story about believing in oneself when the rest of the world doubts you. You can do anything if you put your mind to it, even building The Biggest, Best Snowman ever(with a little help from friends)!
Melissa
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Day 3 of our Christmas book advent calendar. El hasn't seen snow yet, but hopefully sometime soon. I like the message about teamwork and competition, but I don't really understand about the mice falling in love with their snowman? Odd way to start the book. I'd just leave out that first page.
Joel Newman
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the awesome book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Casey
Mar 15, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: christmas
Christmas
Judy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good book especially right around the winter time.
Hapzydeco
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Christmas 2015 gift from our granddaughter. This gift was read the next morning at the breakfast table. What a fun book.
Emily Bernd
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable story about what it is like to work together. It could be a great read aloud, especially during the winter, to teach students to work together.
Shelby Royalty
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a competition between a town of mice to see who can build the biggest snowman. This book teaches a great lesson about team work. Young students would enjoy this book.
Maya
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I love snow and snow man! :+)
Keleigh
This is a cute little book that can be used when talking about friendship and working together to accomplish something. It can also be used to talk about geography, city versus country life.
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • A Silly Snowy Day
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • The Story of Christmas
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Who Is Coming to Our House?
  • This Is the Stable
  • Snowballs
Stephen Kroll spoke at schools and conferences all over the world. He was married to the journalist, Kathleen Beckett, and they lived in New York City and an old carriage house in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. When he was not writing or traveling, he played a lot of tennis and walked around looking at everything.
More about Steven Kroll...