Start by marking “The Pema Chodron Audio Collection: Pure Meditation:Good Medicine:From Fear to Fearlessness” as Want to Read:

"Chodron demonstrates how effective the Buddhist point of view can be in bringing order into disordered lives." Publishers Weekly

Pema Chdron,one of the West’s most beloved teachers of Buddhism,makes the Tibetan vajrayana tradition accessible in today’s world. Now three of her most popular teachings are available in one boxed set.

Pema Chdrn is a bhikshuni,or Buddhist nun i
Audiocd
Published October 1st 2004 by Sounds True, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about The Pema Chodron Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pema Chodron Audio Collection

Start your review of The Pema Chodron Audio Collection: Pure Meditation:Good Medicine:From Fear to Fearlessness
Magen
3.5 stars This collection centers around tonglen, or loving kindness towards oneself and humanity. The first two books in the collection are strong and provide solid understanding of the practice as well as well done guided meditations. They are not the best lectures Chodron has given and show that they are early lectures in her career, but they are worth listening to nonetheless. The last book was poorly done, partly from editing and partly from Chodron's discussion. In the audiobook, Chodron e ...more
Cynthia
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, good. Because it's a collection, there are different focuses but also some repetition. After reading some of her focused books, I find those more useful as she goes into more depth in each idea. Nevertheless, as I am experiencing for all of what she says, I find nuggets of gold to hold on to and it is always a pleasure to hear her voice and equanimity.
Rich Yavorsky
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Pema Chodron Audio Collection made for great listening to take the edge off the most hectic days. As the title implies, this collection is three lectures in one, all recorded live.

Lecture 1--Pure Meditation--discusses the fundamentals of meditation, becoming aware of our always-thinking mind, and coming to accept ourselves at face value. As Pema discusses, meditation serves five reasons: steadfastness with oneself, clear seeing, allowing the experience of emotional distress, and attention to
Nalini Sharma
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a collection of talks given by Pema Chodron mostly revolving around the practice of Tonglen. What makes these teachings so timeless is their practicality, and the refreshing lack of preaching and spiritual jargon. Pema Chodron's humor is a relief that disrupts the seriousness that otherwise dominates the spiritual seeker's mind.
Scott Maclellan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and it caused me to reflect a great deal. I loved Pema's sense of humour throughout.

This is the type of book you can jump around and pull out a lesson or teaching based on where your life finds you. Perhaps this time my heart is a little harder and less open to something new. I look forward to trying it again in another season.
Laura Siegel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pema Chodron makes the principles and practice of Buddhism and meditation easy, accessible, funny, and real. This audiobook consists of three of her talks.
Joe
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm going to try an actual book next vs a seminar recording. Founds it difficult to keep listening through the entire audiobook.
MountainShelby
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short but fulfilling collection.
A
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A few shreds of wisdom before dozing off every time. In-person is definitely preferable.
K M
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Learning a lot, and learning that I have a lot to learn :-)
Marla
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was originally not such a fan of Pema Chodron. Now, I can't get enough of her. Sometimes it's a matter of the right teacher at the right time.

This is an excellent discourse of Tonglen practice. She goes into depth with her presentation of it and I really wish I would have read (listened to) this first years ago when I tried it for the first time. She explains that Tonglen can be too much energy at first. That in training the mind, you eventually have more and more courage to face that which fr
Sonia Allison
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pema
continues a journey to be free of suffering
Is open gentle precise.
good kind encouragement to decency
Min
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first of her audios I have heard, and I hit a trilogy of them. As a group, they build up the ideas necessary for a good tonglen practice, with the 49 slogans of the Lojung teachings. She only uses one as an example, which clearly demonstrates how fruitful each contemplation can be for deepening.
Her voice is calm, and her talk is very honest about the foibles of undertaking a venture in meditation. Often using herself as an example, that there are struggles, and those struggles can i
Anita Ashland
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Listening to this is a good way to feel less stressed, so I'll be adding this to the handful of audio books I revisit once per quarter or so.

The most beneficial part of her teaching was the section on tonglen meditation. Transcendental meditation doesn't interest me at all, but tonglen works in such a way as to increase your self-compassion and compassion for others. It fixes some of the problems I've had with prayer, so I think Christians would benefit from learning about tonglen and applying
Sam Motes
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of talks by the author on the practice of meditation through Buddhist philosophy. The discussion of Tonglen meditation focusing on breathing in others pain and breathing out peace seems backwards to my self centered brain but is a truly altruistic belief system. Interesting listen with advise on living a less stressful life.
Yuliia
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing set of lectures. So much wisdom, eye-opening (at least for me). I loved it. I wish there was a transcript of these lectures because some frases/paragraphs are just precious and I would like to just glance at them from time to time:
Valerie
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just can't get enough of Pema. She shows us how to move through what we simply can't get around, and she does so with humor, honesty, clarity, and gentle kindness.
Lily
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, spiritual
She's funny. It was nice to hear her talk.
B-luc

• The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Them: Adventures with Extremists
  • House of Cards (Francis Urquhart, #1)
  • Empire of Wild
  • The Knowledge Illusion: Why We Never Think Alone
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g

News & Interviews