Start by marking “Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)” as Want to Read:
Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)

Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green #6)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  747 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
GOSSIP FROM THRUSH GREEN returns readers to the delightful English village, neighbor to Fairacre, for a golden summer. But this sleepy, pristine setting conceals a flurry of activity amongst the villagers. Rumor has it that Mr. Venables is considering retirement just as the village's teacher is about to make an important decision. Molly Curdle prepares for a new baby. The ...more
Published May 15th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Gossip from Thrush Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossip from Thrush Green

booklady
This was my first visit to Thrush Green, one of those idyllic places we all dream of discovering, if not actually dwelling in. Hopefully this isn’t my last visit.

In Gossip from Thrush Green it is early summer and the residents are primarily concerned with the weather, each other and plans for the immediate future, more or less in that order. Although an idealized view of humanity, this cozy, feel good novel is thoroughly delightful. I listened to Gwen Watford’s reading and she was perfect. My on
Hope
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-reading
All of Miss Read's books pay homage to the humble afternoon ritual of tea and sponge cake, but this one excels them all with its extended tribute to tea time on the first and last pages. Now that I've read six books in the series the characters are beginning to feel like family. I was inordinately happy that Dotty got the help she needed and that the vicar found a better house in which to live. The sophisticated Harold Shoosmith, Agnes, the timid, lonely school teacher, the gruff but loving Ella ...more
Joyce
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Public library copy. Lovely accounting of the residents of Thrush Green, the plot being the well-being of said residents. Not your typical book, but lovely reading for those who wish to step into another era in the English countryside where life is simpler and everyone is on the same page so to speak.

This book is about life. Old, young, in-between, people in all walks of life tied together by the village they call home. Such a breath of fresh air. Some of the characters stand out, particularly D
Sarah Crawford
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The very eccentric character of Dotty is thinking of adopting and pretty much everyone greets this with a horrified reaction. A temporary rental of a house leads to major noise problems. Percy is courting someone who doesn't want him at all. One of the main characters becomes kill while another finds out just how much he likes goats. Meanwhile, someone is thinking of retiring. Business as usual at Thrush Green.
Chris
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
After six month, I have finally gotten into this series. Writing out the character names helped me as I find too many names to be similar: Dimity and Dotty. Hurst and Helmsmith. Given all that is going on the world, I found myself craving to return to this small Cotswold village. I wasn't disappointed.
Bookworm
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't want it to end-chock full of comfy village adventures and problems, with a warm ending all round!
QNPoohBear
Changes are coming to Thrush Green... This story has way too many modern references, including smoking pot. The story focused a bit too much on the two teachers and their changes in the beginning. I didn't find their plot very interesting. I was also not interested in the new neighbors renting The Tullivers. My favorite character is Dotty Harmer, the eccentric animal-loving spinster (um me in several decades?). I was happy to see her included in the plot but sad at the direction the story takes ...more
Lori
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Any trip to Thrush Green is at least a 4 star for me. I apparently read this one out of order. I thought it was #4, but it was #6. I wondered about some significant changes in some of the villagers lives that the author seemed to gloss over. Now I must backtrack. This may be the only instance of backtracking that I don't mind. Obviously a transition book but still very enjoyable. And except for the brief intrusion of some - HORRORs! - pot smoking outsiders to Thrush Green (who were soon dispatch ...more
Jo
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, miss-read
Any book that begins by eulogising the lost art of afternoon tea is bound to be a lovely read, and this book is no exception. I'm sure life never was as perfect as it's painted in Miss Read's books, but it's nice to imagine that it might be. Reading this book is a lovely, gentle way of catching up with characters that feel like old friends.
Linda
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: england, fiction
Lovely slice of village life. Nothing overly terrible ever happens, and everyone takes care of everyone else.
Booksnpieces
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy a visit to Thrush Green.
Eleni (books.by.eleni)
Wonderful!
Rachael
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
enjoyable going on's of the caring residents of thrush green
Mandolin
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The villagers of Thrush Green may enjoy gossiping about their neighbors and sharing little tidbits across the hedge, but they show their truly good hearts when they band together against a variety of disturbances that threaten the peaceful village life - from a devastating fire to a noisy group of visitors - and support each other as they make difficult decisions about retirement and family choices. Their gossip is only another symptom of the care they have for each other and it provides the rea ...more
Kate
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Gossip from Thrush Green returns readers to the delightful English village, neighbor to Fairacre, for a golden summer. But this sleepy, pristine setting conceals a flurry of activity amongst the villagers. Rumor has it that Mr. Venables is considering retirement just as the village's teacher is about to make an important decision. Molly Curdle prepares for a new baby. The kindly vicar, Charles Henstock, works on his sermon -- quite unaware of the disaster that will overtake him. However, there ...more
Rosie Reads in Melbourne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Loving this book. I read many, many Miss Read books years ago and had forgotten how much I loved them.....they are the sort of books I turn back to when the world around seems almost too difficult to bear. The kind of under the covers, while rain lashes outside with a cup of tea....or in front of a fire....rain lashing and all that...and a large glass of red. They are gently and sweet and gossipy and the bucolic setting is magical (I want to live in one of her charming villages!). Will definitel ...more
Stephanie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This particular installment in the Thrush Green series is my least favorite to date. While enjoyable, the book lacks an overall story arc to drive the characters along. Gossip from Thrush Green is, instead, a transitional book for the series, as it spends much of its time (presumably) setting up characters for future events. For example, the two longtime teachers of the school, Miss Fogerty and Miss Watson, begin to prepare for their retirement away from Thrush Green without actually reaching re ...more
Tracy
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anglophiles, Janeites
Every book I've read by Miss Read would qualify as "quaint" and most are delightful. The only drawback comes in reading too many of her novels in close succession...they start to blur in one's mind. But they hold up much better than many other series. Nothing tremendous happens -- it's small town, or rather village, life with lots of quirky characters and some lovely descriptions of the natural landscape.

I especially liked the character Dotty Harmer -- an eccentric old lady living on a farm wit
Irina
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
As an avid and unashamed anglophile, I loved this book -- it's a gentle, enjoyable read where you follow the happenings in a little village in England: jumble sales, doctors who make house calls, thatched roof cottages, walks along country lanes, a 2-room schoolhouse, fireside visits with neighbors over tea, etc. with I've been reading and re-reading the series for about 10 years now.
Hamsa N
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is set in a place called Thrush Green, revolving around the lives of it's inhabitants, mostly oldies. The simplicity is so warming that it transported me back to my childhood when life was indeed simple and people tended to each other. The humor was subtle and the narration places you amongst the characters, virtually.

Truly, a great start to the year!
Heather
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having spent more time in Fairacre over the years, it took me a bit to get up to speed on the residents of Thrush Green again. Miss Read is always a complete delight and easy to read way past a suitable bedtime. She joins a select group of authors that I carelessly burn the midnight oil with no thought for the morrow.
Cynthia
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Miss Read's books. They are sweet and honest and true - cozies without the pesky murders. Details of English village life (this book was written in 1955) and specifically the life of a country schoolteacher. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and if the day ever comes that I get to go to England a country village ala Misses Read and Marple is high on my list.
Sharon
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just love these books. Total immersion. I begin to read and it's like I've just come into an old friend's kitchen. I may not have seen them for a while, but it only takes a moment for them to make me feel as though I saw them yesterday.
Tony
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel quite old after closing this book. Can’t say I enjoyed it, can’t say I disliked it. It is what it is, gossiping tales at Thrush Green including the all-English country lifestyle aroma with lots and lots of tea.
Marlies
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Even cornier than Binchy, if that's possible. Ultimate life in small English village circa 1960ish books--there's a whole series! Love them love them love them. A few times, when we've been in the car, I've turned them on briefly (on tape) and Jamie was very, very afraid. : )
Joy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is up to the standard of all Miss Read's Thrush Green books. She has many characters who are really nice people I feel I would like to know, especially Charles the modest and saintly Vicar.
Janine
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Read as part of a set with 'News from Thrush Green'. Charming stories that transport the reader to a gentler time in small town Britain where the biggest problems are new tea room hours and decisions about retirement. Enjoyable and relaxing, a nice change of pace.
Judy
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable Miss Read book, about the people and their happenings in the small Cotswold village of Thrush Green (some of the books are about Fairacre, also). Miss Read is an astute observer of people and their foibles.
Christine
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of a book I'd call pleasant, for lack of a better word. Good lpcal color (it doesn't matter whether the village is real or not--it feels like it should be; a place where people are happy with their lot and nice to each other.
Olena Brovko
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
So English book. :)
  • Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales
  • The Old Testament
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • The Mandelbaum Gate
  • Hot Water
  • Exiles
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)
  • The Other Side of the Dale
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read

Thrush Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)
  • Celebrations at Thrush Green

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99