Start by marking “An August Bride (A Year of Weddings, #9)” as Want to Read:
An August Bride (A Year of Weddings, #9)

An August Bride

(A Year of Weddings 1 #9)

A year's worth of novellas from twelve inspirational romance authors. Happily ever after guaranteed.
Kelsey vowed never to love a cowboy again. But then she meets Brent.
After a cowboy broke her heart, Kelsey Wilcox traded in her boots for flip-flops and a bistro on the beautiful sandy beach of Corpus Christi. Two years later, still not believing in happy endings, she is abo
Published July 29th 2014 by Zondervan (first published July 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An August Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An August Bride

Aerykah
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was so happy with this book-- especially after the last 3 in this series being 1- or 2-star reads. The "posse" was quite funny and entertaining and I loved them! I really liked Kelsey and Brent too and enjoyed seeing their relationship develop.

Overall, a fun read! :)
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, novella
I feel like I just licked the icing off a cupcake. This was a sweet, entertaining read with many comical moments. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys dialogue that tosses "ya'lls" around like candy at a parade, hunky cowboys at the beach and posse's of old women who like to play matchmaker. I think fans of Becky Wade and Denise hunter would be glad they read this.
De'Siree Fairley
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhhhh how I loved this one!! That's how you write a novella!! All the characters' personalities shone through in this one!! Brent makes me want to read about more cowboys, it might just become a new weakness of mine. As a southerner myself, I do have a soft spot for down home charm. The storyline was cute and creative, but simple. I was never bored and always invested in the characters from the very first line.
Kathryn Cooper
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you don't like fast cute romance then this series is not your thing. I'm loving these audio books. Short and sweet. I loved this Cowboy with ex-Cowgirl relationship. 💗
Jen
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
My thanks to NetGalley and Zondervan Fiction for an eARC of this book to read and review.

It is with a heavy heart that I give this book only two starts. It's not bad, but in comparison to the other books in the series that I have read, this one doesn't hold a candle to them.

The characters were more like caricatures and the aunt and her "matchmaking posse" got on my nerves. I guess I'm too independent to appreciate busy bodies who get their jollies by sticking their noses into the business of oth
Katie W
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once again, I was rewarded with a cute meet from this series. Kelsey's cousin is getting married on a beach in Texas and when Kelsey tries to do something heroic, she finds herself being rescued by a tall, dark, and handsome cowboy. The only problem is, she was jilted by a cowboy and never wants to date one again. I absolutely loved the way they met and the way the sparks flew--not completely in a good way.

I could understand Kelsey's feelings and they were made clear throughout the course of the
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoyed this one and I'm excited I've found a new author to follow! This is my second book by Ms. Clopton and I can't wait to read more of her books, and it looks like I have quite a few to catch up on, lucky me!

Kelsey was jilted at the alter and soon after her father lost their ranch, one he had spent his whole like working. She has a bad opinion of cowboys and sworn to never date one again. Then Brent enters the picture and has her questioning everything she thought she wanted. I lik
Kathy
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I have really enjoyed this series of novellas. At around 100 pages in length they stand alone and are perfect when I just have just a couple hours and want to get through a book. They are long enough for story and character development but short enough to read in one sitting.

An August Bride is one of my favorites of the series. It's Christian fiction but there is no preaching and it is just an great little romance. I enjoyed the humor and fun as Brent and Kelsey's relationship developed with the
Jessie
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, An August Bride is the story of a girl who's had her heart broken by a cowboy and never wants to date one again. Brent breaks through all of her defenses, showing Kelsey that cowboy or not, falling in love with him is the right choice. I loved how sweet Brent was, and how he didn't give up on Kelsey. I also loved the meddling "match making posse". They were obvious, but so well intentioned.
An August Bride was also one of those stories that made me wish I lived on a farm or ranch
Melanie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great reread! I was in the mood for a good, fun, contemporary read and this book definitely is that! Loved it!

I loved how Brent kept pursuing Kelsey, even though she would NOT date another cowboy after a past relationship ended badly. I also loved her aunt and aunt's friends and how they sort of played "matchmaker" with them and tried to get them together. Oh, and the scene where Kelsey and Brent have an impromptu horse race on the beach was FUN. :)
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This was a fun novella with plenty of humor, angst, and romance. It was entertaining to see the matchmakers of Mule Hollow on vacation and still going at it! Brent and Kelsey have great chemistry and even though she fights falling for a cowboy the inevitable happy ending occurs with lots of fun and drama along the way.

(Thank you to Zondervan Publishing for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review)
Sara Mccarthy
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute, loved all the characters.
Alysia
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gosh, Kelsey is stubborn and spooked. Granted, she has a reason to be...but, come on already and get over it! Glad she finally figured things out! Because Brent is a pretty good hero. The matchmaking trio were a cute addition to the story.
Jessica
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
The fact that I didn't care for this book should not in any way reflect on the other novellas in this series. I've read 8 of them at this point, I believe, and enjoyed each and every one to a varying degree. This is to date my least favorite book in the series, primarily for three reasons.

1) I don't believe in love at first sight. Especially not reciprocated love at first sight. Call me a cynic, but following the heroic opening rescue sequence, when the word 'love' was introduced my thoughts imm
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I thought that this book was very sweet and cute.

Kelsey is afraid to enter into a relationship. Her heart was broken by a cowboy when she was left at the alter. While I could see her taking time off from relationships, I didn't think that she should lump all cowboys into the same category. Not every cowboy leaves broken hearts behind him.

Brent was a fun character. He is immediately taken by Kelsey. He wants her to see him as an individual.

The setting was romantic. Kelsey's cousin was married on
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AN AUGUST BRIDE is one of the Year of Wedding books I was so looking forward to reading. One of my favorite cowboy romance writers, Debra Clopton won my heart with her first book and the heroine riding into town and knocking the whole place off kilter. Her romances always have that special touch, and I couldn't wait to read AN AUGUST BRIDE.

Brent fell in love with the mermaid immediately upon rescuing her and he won over the heart of the posse and the dog in the same swoop. The only one who need
Kim
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, kindle, net-galley
Another book in the Year of Wedding series.

Kelsey had her heart broken by a cowboy and has vowed to never date another. Brent took over his father's ranch and has his fair share of disastrous relationships. When he saves her at a Wedding Rehearsal dinner - he is struck by how he feels about her.

The lovely trio of matchmakers are a delightful addition to the story- everyone has an aunty who fancies herself as a matchmaker to the boy next door!

With thanks to the Publisher and Net Galley for a cop
Kathleen Fuller
Really cute story. Perfect for an afternoon read. This my first book by Debra Clopton, but it won't be my last.
Blake Malcom
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!!! We all have fears that's so often keep us from having the greatest of joys. This book reminds me to let go of the fears, step into the dark, trust the Lord, and the man of my heart! All of Debra Clopton books make me laugh and sigh! Though I did not marry the richest man in the worldly wealth, and i am not a ravishing beauty, my sweet husband is truly like the heroes of her books! And so every time I read one of her books, it makes me appreciate my husband all the more! For God ha ...more
Grace Tolman
I listened to this one and it was cute. I liked the beginning of how they met and the reference to mermaids. That was funny and adorable! I also really love Kelsey's aunt and her friends, being the matchmakers. I wished there were more of them at the end of the story. They were a hoot! Over all I think that this was a cute story and I have to say that the reading, with the matching Texas accent, made it more engaging for me.
TheModestMillennial
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a good read! Almost a five-star, but it didn't quite blow my mind. The intro was magnificent and hooks you right away. Brent is a total stud. I love stories where the male characters are actually masculine (surprising, I know), and Debra did a great job of working from a man's perspective. I felt like I was missing tiny part of the story, not having read the Mule Hallow books, but I guess I just found some more material for my to-read list.

Very entertaining.
Cindy Nipper
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An August Bride
By Debra Clopton. Narrated by Amber Quick
5 Stars
March 5
I think this was the best book of this series! The narrator did a PERFECT sexy Texas cowboy drawl with that slow tender voice, and I am head over heals in love with this character! I love how God played his part as well as the three matchmaking women! Such a wonderful story and blending my favorite locations of a beach and a ranch is brilliant! If I could give more stars I would!
Joy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: year-of-weddings
I really wish I liked this book. It had all the makings of a really cute romance novella but it falls a little flat.

Kelsey is adamant about not falling in love with a cowboy. Brent knew that Kelsey was the one before he even saw her face. The romance was almost nonexistent and the characters more or less annoyed me. So, all together...a two star rating.

This book is appropriate for all readers though.
Gayle Fontenot
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Sweet Love Story

Debra Compton writes such sweet romance stories. Loved Brent and Kelsey together. Very unusual way they met, made me smile. Brent is almost too good to be true , but that's okay, I loved it anyway.
Heather
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kelsey has been heartbroken by a cowboy before, and she doesn't plan on ever trusting another one ever again. Things may just change when the ocean, a cowboy, and a.... mermaid? Are involved. Haha just kidding, you will get it when you read the book. ;)
Amy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
a little too "Texas-y" for me. . .
Rmsooon
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ive read " an augest bride " ,, it was so fun and nice i liked it ,, i gave it 4 out of 5 stars
Michelle
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
One of the better stories in the Year of Weddings collection. I enjoyed this story. Great characters, some humor and a great romance. I'd highly recommend this author.
Beth Erin
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This beachy Texas romance was a sweet listen, well narrated and a great story!
Susan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one. The characters were well developed and engaging. I liked the banter, and struggles as well as the overall outcome.

• A November Bride (A Year of Weddings, #12)
  • A September Bride (A Year of Weddings, #10)
  • An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5)
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • A December Bride (A Year of Weddings, #1)
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • A July Bride (A Year of Weddings, #8)
  • A March Bride (A Year of Weddings, #4)
  • A June Bride (A Year of Weddings, #7)
  • Love in the Details: A November Wedding Story
  • Never a Bridesmaid: A May Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #6)
  • Mistletoe Memories (Romancing America)
  • The Lighthouse Brides Collection: 6 Romances Develop at Historic Light Stations
  • Picture Perfect Love: A June Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #7)
  • Plantation Christmas Weddings (Romancing America)
  • Catching Caytie (A Summer in Snow Valley)
  • Operation Zulu Redemption: Collateral Damage - Part 1
Bestselling author Debra Clopton has sold over 2.7 million books. She writes sweet contemporary and western romances set in Texas and on the beaches of Florida. Her series are clean and wholesome reads and she also writes Christian inspirational romances too. She is known for her snappy dialogue, cowboy heroes and spunky heroines. Her awards include: The Book Sellers Best, Romantic Times Magazine' ...more

A Year of Weddings 1 (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A December Bride (A Year of Weddings, #1)
  • A January Bride
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • A March Bride (A Year of Weddings, #4)
  • An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5)
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • A June Bride (A Year of Weddings, #7)
  • A July Bride (A Year of Weddings, #8)
  • A September Bride (A Year of Weddings, #10)
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)