Start by marking “It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
It Shouldn't Happen to...

James Herriot

It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (All Creatures Great and Small #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  5,084 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
"A special edition of It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet by James Herriot reissued with a bright retro design to celebrate Pan’s 70th anniversary.

Ensconced in the sleepy Yorkshire village of Darrowby, recently qualified vet James Herriot is acclimatizing to life with his unpredictable colleagues, brothers Siegfried and Tristan Farnon. But veterinary practice in the 1930s was ne
Audio, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by Chivers Audio Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet

Julie
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd of James Herriot's books. The first I just casually liked. But since then I have fallen in love. If you ever feel like cuddling by the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate, but don't have a fireplace and have run out of hot chocolate, this book will suit just as well. They are just full of stories that make me laugh. I have to tell Brandon at least one or two each night, and he laughs too. Also, I am not an animal lover in the smallest degree, but I am while reading these. If yo ...more
YorkshireSue
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wishing to be moved to laughter and tears,animal lovers, complete chapter story lovers
Shelves: all-time-faves
Loved all the James Herriot books. My parents began to read them when I was maybe 10 or so and they would laugh out loud but I was far too cool to read what my parents did until one day I had a miserable toothache/earache and to take my mind off it I began to read one of this series of books. I too ended up laughing and simply being transported away to a different time, yet with places that seemed comfortingly familiar. (I'm from Yorkshire originally and was living there at this time.) I wrote m ...more
Leslie
I am a late-comer to the Herriot books, but am utterly enchanted by the 1930's rural Yorkshire setting and the poignant, gently comic stories about the people and their animals. The old social customs are fascinating, as are the old veterinary treatments that have been replaced by modern drugs and procedures. Each vignette is a vivid glimpse into a world long gone, but full of charm and pathos. I really love these books and want to read everything the author ever wrote.
Rebecca McNutt
It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet is another one of James Herriot's masterpieces of "vet humor", with stories about his weird and hilarious adventures with animals. Destined to become a non-fic classic, it's certainly a book worth reading.
Meg
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful memoir from James Herriot, filled with entertaining stories of his work as a young vet in rural Yorkshire in the 1930s. Charming and well written. I read these books when I was younger and just bought three of them at a secondhand sale. I looking forward to revisiting them.
Namitha Varma
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, wildlife, ebooks
This book was recommended to me by Goodreads after I finished reading It's a Vet's Life. And what a treasure this turned out to be!

Humour in any form is always a delight. James Herriot's veterinary adventures are a fun, light read. The writing is simple and frank, and his descriptions of the Yorkshire country and its agrarian life is so enjoyable. You can probably enjoy them more if you love animals, but I'm sure even non-animal lovers can find something to amuse themselves with in this book.
I needed a break from depressing dystopian blood and gore, so I shifted gears and went back to my tried and true: James Herriot. Although his stories do involve nearly an equal amount of blood and gore (1930′s veterinarian style), they’re FAR more uplifting. A much needed respite, to say the least! (And, I believe, the last of James Herriot’s books that I’ve not read– what the hell am I supposed to use as palette cleanser now?!)

As always, James Herriot’s quaint little stories of life as a veteri
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the series, once again containing beautifully detailed anecdotes. As I read I often found myself wondering whether Herriot kept a diary of his time at Skeldale house or whether he is just fabricating using his surroundings...? Well, whatever, because it makes for entertaining reading material.

I'd say I marginally prefer his first book, although this one had more of a laugh-out-loud quality to it. I have hungrily begun his next one, Let Sleeping Vets Lie.
Maria
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, in-2012
I remember reading one of the illustrated omnibus collections of James Herriot… All Creatures Great and Small. I absolutely loved it.

And I loved this one too. It's just as funny as all the others, especially the terrible luck he seems to have whenever he goes out on a date with Helen.

I laughed and snorted a good deal of the time, as well as gasping out: "I REMEMBER TRICKY WOO!" a few times.

Lovely book.
Tarika
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Herriot is delightful at any age. I've been reading him since I was in my early teens and now in my late twenties, he still makes me laugh out loud. His little world is so charming, his characters so real, I wish I could holiday there. A real treat - I recommend this to anyone who loves to read and loves to laugh.
Julie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all these as a teenager and forgot just how great they are, perfect reading for when you're starting a new job and bumbling around making mistakes as James Herriot feels your pain and writes of his experiences with such self effacing humour you've just got to love him. Laughed my head off
Lisa Taylor
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely, comforting read about the life of a young vet in small rural town. Many funny stories of the local characters, their animals and his pursuit of love.
Hannah
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a lovely book full of amusing, ripping yarns and set in Yorkshire, so I'm sold. I've enjoyed just picking it up and reading a chapter now and then.
Barry Haworth
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Second book in James Herriot's wonderful series about his life as a country vet.
Ali
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More stories of the Dales, this time including Herriot's various attempts at courtship.

A beautifully written book.
Mashael
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has so much heart and was written with a great eye for making the small details of life entertaining and absurd. I love this book and I feel it is a comfort book, something to read when life gets you down, to remind you that the best things in life are simple and free and how to take joy in the moments. James Herriot is a gifted writer.
Lori
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great great read
Margaret
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazon says: How on earth did James Herriot come to be sitting on a high Yorkshire moor, smelling vaguely of cows? James isn't sure, but he knows that he loves it. This second hilarious volume of memoirs contains more tales of James' unpredictable boss Siegfried Farnon, his charming student brother Tristan, animal mayhem galore and his first encounters with a beautiful girl called Helen. 'He can tell a good story against himself, and his pleasure in the beauty of the countryside in which he work ...more
Theta Sigma
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It Shouldn't Happen To A Vet" is the second of James Herriot's memoirs of his time as a vet in Yorkshire.

The book picks up James' career shortly after the end of his first year as an assistant to Siegfried Farnon in the fictional town of Darrowby. as with "If Only They Could Talk", the focus is primarily James' recollections of the characters he meets - both animal and human - in his role as a vet.

However, this book also adds a dash of romance and comedy, pretty much in equal measure, as James
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
Oh how I love this series! This is pure comfort reading at its very best. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book. Picking up the books in this series is like catching up with a friend for a glass of red wine by the fire.

The characters are all so brilliantly drawn that I feel I know them all. To get to know about these burly Yorkshire farmers (with all their local dialect thrown in to boot) is a joy and a priviledge.

I was planning on a break before picking up number 3 i
Marie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as funny as the first book, but then that is hardly harsh criticism given that the first book was whoopingly hilarious. This one provided more in the way of a quiet chuckle, with a couple of laugh-out-loud exceptions. But Herriot's writing flows so naturally, is so unpretentiously off-the-cuff literary, that every yellowed page of our first edition virtually turns itself. This book also offers one of the most genuinely and straightforwardly loving depictions of a landscape that I have ...more
Biblioworm
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, english
Предупреждать же надо.
Эта книжка - это просто вторая половина книги https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

В биографии автора можно прочитать, что американский издатель объединял по две книги которые изначально выпускались как отдельные в Англии.

Эта книга - первая, написанная автором.
Мне больше понравилась All Things Bright and Beautiful (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...), которая уже более как литература читается.
Emily
This was everything I expected it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am from Herriot Country and therefore I really enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery and community. Even though the actual places and characters in the book aren't real, it's all very familiar and well-written. Some chapters dragged and I found myself skipping them and, as far as I'm aware, not missing out on a lot.

I'm not in any rush to read another Herriot but I think I might pick one up one day when I'm looking for anoth
Fosco2004
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this nostalgic trip back into the lives of James, Siegfried and Tristan after having been a huge "All creatures great and small" fan in my youth. I read this book with my 8 year old daughter and we've started watching the TV series together now too. A wonderful shared experience which has opened up a large range of discussion on human interactions, what is appropriate or inappropriate behaviour and also when is it humane to kill put down an animal? Lots of technical language whi ...more
Violet
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I did not think this book was that hilarious as the back cover thought. Yes there were a few funny stories int eh book maybe two or three. There where places in the story line where you were waiting to find out the outcome and the next chapter when on to something else. Lots of descriptions of snow and trying to get to the farms to visit, got tired of it after a while.

Hilda
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
had this book for years, but never read it. found it in a box a little while ago, when doing some spring cleaning and decided to read it before i pass it on!
I'm now about half way through and really enjoying the read, brings back memories of the tv series "All Creatures Great and Small".
So glad i'm reading this fun book of true stories!

Glad i've read it, but wouldn't bother to buy it to read
Charles Harrison
This book is everything it promises to be. It is warm, funny and humanising. It is also repetitive, formulaic and very similar to the first one. I enjoy Herriot as a bit of light reading (although the tugging at the heart strings does come out of no where). Weirdly I didn't enjoy the early dating stories as much as the vet ones despite them being very funny. Enjoyable but won't blow you away.
Michael O'Donnell
A wonderful read. The era, country side, resilience of the folk and the humour bought together in a book. Language was of the time. A man who chose a setting that was not his planned final destination. An apprenticeship that seems to have exceeded his plans. The journey can be better than the destination.
Sam
This second book is not quite as laugh out loud funny as the first, but there are still plenty of moments which raise at least a chuckle. The author's disastrous attempts to court the beautiful Helen are brilliantly observed, and the characters of Siegfried and Tristan are stunning. The difference between the two brothers never ceases to raise a smile.
Katie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books you should never read on public transport because people are likely to look askance at you when you fall on the floor laughing. Many of the situations described are so hilarious it is impossible not to laugh out loud. A delightful book, full of real classic Characters, both animal and human. Guaranteed to lift anyone's depression!
  • The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Living Free (Story of Elsa, #2)
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
  • The Other Side of the Dale
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Vet in Harness
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Vet in a Spin
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • Every Living Thing
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small)
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful

“That quotation about not having time to stand and stare has never applied to me. I seem to have spent a good part of my life - probably too much - in just standing and staring and I was at it again this morning.” 23 likes