Start by marking “The French Lieutenant's Woman: The Screenplay” as Want to Read:
The French Lieutenant's Woman: The Screenplay

The French Lieutenant's Woman: The Screenplay

screenplay
Published by Parlon Productions (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The French Lieutenant's Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Lieutenant's Woman

Start your review of The French Lieutenant's Woman: The Screenplay
Marco Tamborrino
Apr 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"La domanda non è perché, la domanda è... PECCHÈ?" ...more
Tim Nason
Mar 18, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Reads like a comic book version of the novel – so short; but it changes my expectations of the movie in a positive direction.
Red
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great adaptation of the novel and its metafictionality!
Jonathan Kieran
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-finished
Pinter's spare and evocative screenplay style is a great antidote to the steroidal salesmanship of the average spec script. Any of the great collections of HP's scripts are recommended reading for any aspiring screenwriter. This volume is typeset (i.e. not facsimile pages that give you the direct experience of reading a manuscript page), but still scans fairly well, and the texts are all appear to be Pinter's final drafts, not transcriptions. Also recommended Collected Screenplays 1, which in ad ...more
Daniela Mastropasqua
Davvero, un libro particolare, ma mai noioso.
Il protagonista è Charles, un gentiluomo vittoriano fidanzato con la giovane ma un po' sciocca Ernestina. All'improvviso Charles viene a conoscenza dell'esistenza di una donna, una disonorata, pazza probabilmente, che poi ha la fortuna di incontrare. Sarah. Ma chi è Sarah? Se qualcuno riesce a capire meglio di me cosa voglia veramente questa donna, mi piacerebbe davvero saperlo.
Bellissime le descrizioni della società vittoriana, divertenti i riferim
Joleen
Sep 30, 2012 added it
Man, I wish I could recall anything about this book besides the cover! I read it in High school, and while I recall several books from then extremely well, this one just didn't stick. I loved and remember "The Collector" by John Fowles, even though it horrified and frightened me. So my quandary here is wondering if this book deserves a reread with my adult eyes (maybe it will be more relatable now than at 15-16) or not. Hmmmmm, suggestions?
Dan
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This screenplay is based on the John Fowles novel by the same title.

The Harold Pinter play is more interesting as it contains one more story in addition to the John Fowles story.
The screenplay contrasts actors navigating in and out between performing their French Lieutenant's Woman roles in a film shoot and in their real lives.

Overall, the novel and the screenplay are so different that it is still worth it to read the novel.
Claudio C
Acquistato 4 anni fa in quanto assegnatomi dalla professoressa di inglese, credendo fosse il romanzo in se'. Preso in mano solo oggi, scopro che in realtà altro non è che la sceneggiatura del film dell'81 con Meryl Streep e Jeremy Irons.
Lo si legge in due ore scarse. Storia interessante, ma non da considerarsi un libro, ecco.
Steve D'avis
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A superb screenplay - probably one of the best I've read - beautifully balanced & well paced. The dialogue is authentically adjusted to suit both time frames. Never rushed this is highly recommended if you are interested in the art of the screenplay. ...more
Jessica
Oct 11, 2007 marked it as to-read
2005 Nobel Prize Winner - just watched the movie, which I realize is no comparison - but oscar worthy meryl streep and jeremy irons performance none-the-less.
Toby McMillen
I've tried to get into this a couple of times, but it was always 'not-the-Magus' to the extent that I never finished. Perhaps age & experience will push me through the barrier... ...more
Jacqueline Howett
May 23, 2008
Mininoam
Apr 24, 2013
Whelk
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2007
Barbara
Jul 12, 2017
Lucile Barker
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

41. The Screenplay of The French Lieutenant’s Woman from the novel by John Fowles by Harold Pinter.
I have had problems reading the novel and I was just out of the hospital when I saw the movie which did not sink in. Reading the screenplay was aa heck of a lot easier, enough so that I may attempt to see the movie again, although I am not a Jeremy Irons fan. The intertwining of the filming of a story with almost parallel plots is a great device, and Pinter was able to take the novel and get some
Ram Nagarajan
Jun 20, 2007
Nicole Herzog
Jan 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Flowering Wilderness (The Forsyte Chronicles, #8)
  • The Lathe of Heaven
  • Walden
  • Ethan Frome
  • Robert Penn Warren: A Biography
  • As I Lay Dying
Harold Pinter, CH, CBE, was an English playwright, screenwriter, actor, director, political activist, and poet. He was one of the most influential playwrights of modern times. In 2005 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

After publishing poetry and acting in school plays as a teenager in London, Pinter began his professional theatrical career in 1951, touring throughout Ireland. From 1952

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....