Start by marking “We're Going On A Picnic” as Want to Read:
We're Going On A Picnic

We're Going On A Picnic

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
It's a lovely day for a picnic so Hen picks some berries, Goose picks some apples and Duck picks some pears then the three friends set off to look for the perfect spot to enjoy their feast. But young readers will quickly discover that the three friends aren't the only ones who are hungry. A mouse, a squirrel and a rabbit all help themselves to the food and by the time the ...more
Published July 3rd 2003 by Red Fox (first published February 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about We're Going On A Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Going On A Picnic

June
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
Chicken, Duck & Goose are going on a picnic, but are having trouble deciding where to have it. Be sure to keep an eye on mouse, squirrel and rabbit. Will have to try this next summer for my picnic story times. 8/30/11

Used it today for PJ Story Time and one little boy was really intrigued. I might use it tomorrow too. 6/26/12

Used in PJ Story Time. The girl seemed to get overexcited by the story? Her father thought she was just overtired from camp. 7/23/13

Used in PJ Story Time and was okay, ho
Tyler Jones
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book to group of two year olds and was quite surprised by what a positive reaction it got. I remember that when I was a child back in the seventies not liking this folk-art style of illustration, so I thought this book would not work very well. I was wrong. I am also surprised to see it is originally published in 2002 as this style of illustration has not been very popular since the last time the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup. Anyway, the kids really liked it - perhaps because they ...more
Nancy Roach
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A lovely day for a picnic!! The Hen, Goose, and Duck pick out their favorite fruit on the way. They see the perfect spot but realize that it is too shady for them so they try and find a different place. They were so excited for this picnic!! The next place is to windy for them and think they can find an even nicer place. Then it is to hot on the next, and as they go from place to place they sing about going on a picnic. They end up being right where they started and realize that the basket is li ...more
Simple story - much better if you follow the illustrations carefully! I'm not sure my toddlers will get it, but I think the preschoolers will love how the sneaky animals steal the picnic without getting caught.
David
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
We're Going On A Picnic by Pat Hutchins follows Duck, Hen and Goose as they try to find a good place for a picnic, while their basket gets lighter, and readers see who is responsible.

Hutchins' detailed illustrations were made using pen and ink and felt-tipped markers, creating her trademark stylized art. My favorite images are title page, picking, field, up, down, hot, empty and across.

Hutchins tells this story of three cheerful, hungry friends who just don't notice their basket getting emptied
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, picture-book
This was a cute little book where three animals went hiking to find the perfect place to have their picnic. Each time they sat the basket down a little critter would hop in and take one of their foods.
I would use this book to help children realize that when you go on a picnic, stuff like this can happen. Critters come around when no one is near, and bugs get into their food like the little pests they are. They should always be careful and keep their food fully covered and safe.
Rebecca Snodgrass
You really have to watch what you are reading when it comes to this book. If you don't look at the pictures you miss the whole point of the story. The other animals sneaking in the basket is so cute. I also think its silly that they never noticed the basket getting lighter as their fruit is being eaten by animals. This would have to be for a younger class, but they would enjoy pointing the thieves out to you.
Amy Hughes
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're Going on a Picnic is a cute story. It would be a good read aloud. Students would enjoy the story and think it is funny. The characters in the book are collecting items for the picnic but they do not realize that other animals also enjoy those items. They are slowly losing their items as they go on their walk for the picnic.
Miss Sarah
a suck, hen and a goose pack fruit to go on a picnic but they can't decide where to go. They keep walking but as they walk their basket gets lighter. Where could their fruit have gone, maybe to the squirrel, bunny and mouse following them? Cute but you have to really look at the pictures to get it so not for a big crowd.
Lora
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm really giving these books what I think Lucy's rating would be... She wanted to read this one over and over again. I can't say I loved it quite that much (especially after the 500th reading), but she never got tired of it. Again, the story is simple but the pictures add a whole other element. I think that might be this author's trademark. Fun... and thankfully, short!
Mhm Storytelling
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytelling
This book follows a Hen, Goose and Duck who pack a picnic. They end up losing their food and going in a circle. When they come back home, they have to repack the picnic and head out again.

Themes/topics: picnics, working together, getting lost?

Red Flags: none

Opportunity for interaction:
What is your favorite fruit? Who is stealing their food?
Edna
Goose, duck and chicken pick fruit, fill a basket and head out to find the perfect picnic spot unknowing that as they walk, little forest animals are helping themselves to all the food in the picnic basket.
Tara
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, kindergarten
This would be a great book to have a huge copy of. If I were reading this to the class I would have the students help me tell the story. I think that by showing a child how to read the pictures it will help them to read the words and understand.
Meredith
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not super fond of the illustration style, but the story is fun, and it went over really well in story time.
Cheryl
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. Kids loved it.
Betsy
classic story.

a bit dated but also those are sometimes the best.
Leah
Simple and cute story, but the details in the illustrations would be hard to share with an audience.
Melissa
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the illustrations in this one, though the story is a little repetitive. That doesn't bother my 2-year-old niece! :)
Kenneth
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Must keep up with the illustrations to understand the book. Funny and entertaining.
Becca
Duck, Goose, and Hen decide to go on a picnic and they all pick their favorite fruits. But they can't agree on the best place to eat. They have some uninvited (and unnoticed) guests.
Nancy J.
Illustrations are similar to Rosie's Walk. One of Hutchin's 25 titles.
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Rosie rocks!
Andria
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the silliness of this book and the kids love knowing what the main characters do not. The pictures are not my favorite.
Brandi
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A repetitive picture book about animals and eating with ok illustrations.
Danielle Simmons
This is such a good book! The Hen, Duck, and Goose are so naive but it is in an adorable way. This book is nice about friendship and teamwork.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
A gormless goose, a hapless hen and a dozy duck have their picnic pilfered by opportunistic critters. A simple tale raised above the average by Hutchins's patented artwork.
Karen Gibson
Dec 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Spring Is Here
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Puffin Peter
  • This Little Chick
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Mommies Say Shhh!
  • I Know a Rhino
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.