Start by marking “Renato's Luck” as Want to Read:
Renato's Luck

Renato's Luck

Renato Tizzoni, a waterworks man in the beautiful Tuscan village of Sant'Angelo D'Asso, has an infectious zest for life. But recently his rich and vibrant world has lost its piquancy. His best friend has died; his lovestruck teenaged daughter has become a sullen stranger; and even his passionate marriage is showing signs of cooling. To make matters worse, his beloved town ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published April 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Renato's Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renato's Luck

Start your review of Renato's Luck
Lexi Kate
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to be like the italians - take walks for the simple joy of observing life around you while reveling in the life you live, drink wine when the moment calls for a little wild side, express yourself, if not to your family or your priest, then at least to your inner monologue, take your dreams very seriously.

BE SURE TO TRY THE RECIPE!!!!
Renato eats Pecorino cheese with honey and black pepper on top.

I used my Cheese Shop skills to narrow it down to PECORINO DOLCE cheese (there are a lot of pecori
Allan Doe
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Wonderful characters, dialogue, descriptions of the places. A technicolor movie in my head. And, an ending that left me very satisfied.

It’s a quick read. It’s time well spent.
Michael Alan Grapin
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life for Renato has lost its flavor and the small town in Tuscany that he called home was about to be covered with water after the government built its dam. His most cherished friend has died and he can't seem to love his wife the way he wishes to. His daughter is carrying a secret along with the boy she's been seeing. He's visited by a dream and believes he must shake the hand of the Pope if ever his life is to turn itself around and discovers that everyone in town is behind him in his quest. A ...more
Carla Ward
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this little heart-warming story. A little comedy, a little drama and a whole lot of positiveness and hope
Karen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of a simple life but when changes are afoot raises many questions. Wonderful descriptions of characters and a beautiful town. Overall an enjoyable read.
Kristen
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
About the waterworks guy in some town in Italy. I gave it the old read-10% try and felt that I was in the hands of an amateur.
Lorie
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Book club. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Set in a small Tuscan village, the water man, Renato, has a bit of a mid-life crisis and "things just don't have taste anymore." He has a dream which leads him to see the Pope in Rome. In the end, he realizes his friends and family are the most important thing and are what gives him the spark of life. Plus, the Pope helps save the village by identifying it as an archaeological site causing the plan to build a new dam and submerge the village to be scrap ...more
Audrey
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kristina
I thought this was very similar to "The Miracles of Santo Fico," which I liked a lot better. Still, it was a sweet story. I would have been happy to hear a little less about the nether regions of Renato and some other characters, but oh well. In general, a pleasant little book. My favorite part was definitely the end, with the pope. Very cute.
Audrey
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Renato's List at the very start ended up being my review, what I held onto and what I wanted to go back to. So much to discuss, to reflect on, to take away for me personally. Definitely want to read this one again someday, at a different point in my life and see if I get even more from it. For a first book I hope it's not just beginner's luck and look forward to seeing this author again!
Kathleen Payne
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to believe that this delightful book is the author's first book. I felt like I was in Tuscany right along with the cast of cute characters in this book. It was delightful, even down to the 3rd goat with the limp. I read the book while on vacation in Montana and it was the perfect traveling summer read.
Katie Swan
Teena Stewart
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable story of a man in a small provincial town in Tuscany. We get to know the locals and the crisis they face. The town will soon be under water because the government is going to build a damn. But all is not lost as Renato has a dream that guides him in a direction.
Steve Clark
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love books set in Italy. Renato is the waterworks man in a small Tuscan hill town, who's suddenly lost his taste for life. In a dream he learns that to get his luck back he needs to visit the pope in Rome. But before he goes he learns that he's not the only one in town who needs a change.
Rbah
Oct 20, 2008 added it
I loved this book. A real look into small town Italy, loaded with great characters.
Cynthia
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!! Got it at the library as an accident.
Nikki
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I selected this book to read while I was in Tuscany. Quirky characters, charming story....
Susan
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: italy
Charming.
Rebecca Roycroft
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Slow to start but a lovely feel good read. Charming
Donna
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my all time favorite books. I wish he would write more.
Eriel
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Such a funny sweet story all about the things we value in life.
Kathy Hauck
Mar 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love the characters you get to meet in this little tuscan village.
Julie Baron
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
For those who love Italy, it's a lovely story in a picturesque setting.
Alice
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Renato works in a small town in Italy. Makes a trip to see the pope. Gathers quotes of wisdom. Starts out well but fizzles
Maggie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed it - and give it 3.5 stars.

Barb
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
charming, easy reading, delightful
Laura Holland
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book - a bit different.
michael
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I could see where the story was heading, it was a good read and I didn't want it to end
Lucy Bartley
Jul 25, 2011
Shannon
Jul 29, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep, #1)
  • Things We Never Said
  • The Island Villa
  • The Strangers We Know
  • Zero Day (John Puller, #1)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
  • The Other Alcott
  • Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux #21)
  • Plain Roots