Start by marking “Who's On First” as Want to Read:
Who's On First

Who's On First (Blackford Oakes #3)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

It's 1956, and the cold war is hot. Hungary has just fallen, and Blackford Oakes is back from Budapest, puzzling over a betrayal and mourning a tragedy he couldn't prevent. But in Washington, all attention is focused on the race to put the first satellite in space. Ironically, Russia and America each have the secrets the other needs to succeed. The solution: to kidnap a pa

Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published February 28th 1981 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Who's On First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's On First

Douglas Wilson
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Good. Fun read. I read it first in 1982. Read it again in 2015, but I didn't think I was reading it again. I had actually forgotten I had read it the first time. It is that kind of read. Of course it is hard to fault Buckley for this. Most potboilers don't stay with you for 33 years.
Robert Juliano
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The usual entertaining spy fiction from Buckley. The author has a knack for inserting his protagonist, Blackford Oakes, into real life events of relatively recent history. Forget about the background pseudo-science and just enjoy this economically told tale.
James Cooper
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel as though the action really picked up during the last 50 pages of the book. The 'love' scene at the bottom of page 136 was one for the books. While at times to me the book dragged on, it was there at that scene where Buckley's writing reawakened me to liking and continuing and ultimately finishing the book in short order. My copy was the Book Club Edition - lasting 212 pages. Never a dull moment with Blackford Oakes. Can't wait to get into Marco Polo, If You Can.
Jim
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel starts with the Soviet suppression of the 1956 Hungarian uprising. You will discover one way that the Soviets publicly punished Hungarian resisters. Unlike some spy novels (and the fevered imaginings of certain American "intellectuals"), there is no moral equivalency in Buckley's stories - the Soviets are the bad guys - just like real life.
Kellylynn
I struggled with the writing on this one a little, but that may just be related to the age of the book. The story focuses on some of the struggles during the space race, between America and Russia. Some characters I struggled with but others developed a bit better.
Gene
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was perhaps one of Buckley's better spy novels. The characters seemed to come alive a bit more for me. The moral dilemma faced by Oakes is one that causes a lot of reflection in the reader. A good novel, but not so good that I feel bad to be finished with it.
Ange
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Profanity and two much sex. Other than that a good read.
Gary
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Good read.
Nana Aboagye
It is very interesting.
Andrew
Dec 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious readers
This book started off a little slow, but once it got going it was hard to put down. Buckley is a very good storyteller.
  • Savage Wilderness
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • The Xanadu Talisman (Modesty Blaise, #10)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Seven Days In May
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • Nevada Barr Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #10)
  • Disraeli: A Picture of the Victorian Age
  • Danger Close
  • Conan the Warlord
  • The Prince Commands
  • A Summer Idyll (The Best of Betty Neels)
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....

Blackford Oakes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Saving the Queen
  • High Jinx: Blackford Oakes Mystery
  • Mongoose, R.I.P.
  • Tucker's Last Stand
  • A Very Private Plot
  • Last Call for Blackford Oakes (Blackford Oakes Novel)