Start by marking “Resurrectionists” as Want to Read:
Resurrectionists

Resurrectionists

Young Australian cellist Maisie Fielding is bored with her career and her overpowering, manipulative musical family. Faking a wrist injury, she takes time off to return to England, her mother's home country, to search for her own roots and to find out more about her grandmother, a 'white witch' who settled in a bleak village on the North Yorkshire coast. Maisie's mother is ...more
Published May 10th 2001 by Orion (Gollancz) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Resurrectionists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrectionists

Bec
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Kim Wilkins book I read. Loved it!
Elizabeth
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
To be honest, if it wasn't for me finding this book really cheap at a charity book fair, I would probably never have read it. But I'm really glad I did.

The book was easy to read (I'm tempted to say too easy to read) and there were no real faults. But the style wasn't particularly memorable. There were no lines that were a sheer joy to read for their poetry, beauty or insight.

The storyline wasn't particularly unique or creative either. Although I did like the way the romance story ran alongside t
Sarah Rodgers
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
An awesomely discerning look in to the world of eternal life and glory, this story oozes black magic in all of it’s glory. A coming of age story about a 24 year old Australian musician who desperately seeks a different life and whilst seeking a different path comes across a world she never should have become a part of. Full of suspense, the supernatural and everything that is not normal this story is definitely a page turner. If you are in to the magic of fantasy with a little darkness added the ...more
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was about an Australian girl with a seemingly perfect life, successful parents, a cute boyfriend, and job as a cellist. But she yearns for something more, and so for summer vacation she goes to England to learn more about her deceased grandmother. There was a slow build-up but a lot of good creepy and mysterious elements to the story. Drama was prominent as well, in England she reconnects with an old acquaintance and meets a "tall dark stranger". Almost the entire ...more
Nuno Mendes
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Didn't know this writer, but as a first experience it was absolutely awesome.
There are many passages in the book where the tension and fear are palpable. Wilkins weaves the scenes in a masterful way.
It loses a bit of momentum towards the end, but it never falls below "excellent".
PrettyFlamingo
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I chose this as my Halloween read, but I couldn’t wait that long and now here I am writing the review on Halloween instead. I was attracted to this book by having read a Kim Wilkins on Halloween 16 years ago and scaring myself senseless, as well as the setting on the North Yorkshire coast which I visit regularly and which can seem rather spooky and wild at times.

Maisie’s unsure about the life mapped out for her in Brisbane – boyfriend, orchestra, marriage – and when the opportunity to clear out
Jessica Malice
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this cuz I kinda like The Autumn Castle even though it had so, so many flaws.

This book had less flaws, but... god what an awful protagonist. In fact, all of the characters are either miserably detestable or so two dimensional there is no chance to develop an opinion. and, speaking of the importance of character development (as discussed in her last blog post).. yeah, um, did you, like, forget?

I think Kim Wilkins might be better suited to young adult fiction. I just feel way too intelligen
Salimbol
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
[3 and 1/2 stars]
A quick, enjoyable read in time for Hallowe'en. I wasn't ever particularly scared, mind you, but nevertheless I was caught up in the narrative, and it ticked all the usual spooky boxes in a competent, workmanlike manner. (I do feel a little dissatisfied, however, because it wasn't anywhere near as good as her 'The Autumn Castle', and I must have been expecting something at that level.)
Dan Beck
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a total soft spot for this book. Very atmospheric writing, I have really enjoyed all of Kim Wilkins more supernaturally bent books and wish she'd write more in this vein. This book actually inspired me to visit Whitby in Yorkshire, a likely inspiration for Solgreve, the setting of this novel. Windswept, stormy and memorable, I'd love to rent out Maisie's cottage and never leave! All in all a suspenseful and engaging read, read it and enjoy.
Esteé Hallatt
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Parts of the story wore a bit thin & my interest waned at times, but overall a quite likeable story.

There was one chapter filled with such gut wrenching suspense that I enjoyed it in particular, but I'll keep all spoilers to myself.
Karin Cox
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable holiday read, although I found the lead character Maisie annoying sometimes in her indecisiveness. Sometimes the "horror" element, or predictability was a bit annoying too. But on the whole, I liked it although the indecisive ending did make me throw the book at the wall!
Cathy McLennan
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a joy to read - particularly if you like quaking in your boots with terror! So exciting to find such a well written, exciting book you just can't put down. Although I might avoid caramel bunnies in future!
Deesha
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a gift from an Australian cousin. I recall of having read it twice 10 years ago. It made me do some internet search on Yorkshire-England.
Alicia
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim Wilkins. This and Grimoire were my introductions and boy what introductions to this brilliant author.
Supernatural aspects, sexual scenes, mystery. What else could you want?
Joy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice work Kim. I really enjoyed it
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
3.5 stars. Review to follow.
Tania Easton
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first book that I read of hers, was brill
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good, but not as good as other Kim Wilkins books. If you're new to Kim's books, try The Grimore or The Infernal first.
Taylor
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
8.5/10
Celeste Everitt
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kim Wilkins never disappoints me! She is absolutely amazing and her books are always so captivating and real page-turners. Brilliant dark fantasy that I always hope will never come to an end :)
Teresa
Kate Cooper
Feb 04, 2014
Lynette Callaghan
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read on the edge of my seat till the end
Cynthia
Jun 25, 2013
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • Cherry Kisses (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Kiss and Dwell (Harlequin Blaze #325)
  • Cracklescape
  • Everything's Eventual, Part 1
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • A Crown of Lights (Merrily Watkins, #3)
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
  • Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
  • Dame Darcy's Meatcake Compilation
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • Void Black Shadow (Voidwitch Saga, #2)
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #4
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 02
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1A)
Also writes under the name of Kimberley Freeman.