Start by marking “Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)

Today I Will Fly!

(Elephant & Piggie #1)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Today, I Will Fly! is the funny introduction to the characters. Piggie is determined to fly. But Gerald the elephant knows that's impossible--isn't it?
Published April 1st 2007 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published March 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Today I Will Fly!, please sign up.
Moloki
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
Matt
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Piggie is determined that she will fly, telling Gerald as much. Being a level-headed elephant (are there other kinds?), Gerald reminds Piggie that it is not possible and that she had best come to that realisation. Still, Piggie does all she can to fly and engages the assistance of her friends. Alas, still no flight, but her determination leaves Gerald to wonder if he, too, might be able to fly. By the end, Gerald is ready to give it a try, leaving Piggie to play the level-headed one. Neo read th ...more
Connie
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Early readers can be such a pain. They have to be easy to read, so they include a lot of very short, repetitititive sentences. I bet you can quote Dick and Jane here: See Spot. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run! Run, run, run! Short, easy to read, lots of practice with those three words... and boring as HECK. Who wants to read that more than once?

Or they do the same thing, but with rhyming: See the cat. The cat is fat. The fat cat sat. Sat on the mat. The fat cat sat on the mat. See the rat!

Ye gods.
Lonna | FLYLēF
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The teaching point behind this story is admirable, and the team work is sweet.
Sophia Triad
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Pigs cannot fly! And this is a fact! hahaha
Melki
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pig is an optimist who is convinced she can fly. Her friend Elephant is much more down-to-earth. He is sure she will never get off the ground.

description

Will she prove him wrong?

Very cute, very simple, very entertaining.

I see why Willems has achieved rock star status among children's book authors.
midnightfaerie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library! And later in the day I caught my kids trying to fly! Wa ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This books wasn't so awesome because isn't about reading but i can easily say that "Elephant & Piggie" will become in one of my favorite kids series. Isn't ultra deep, but doesn't need it. Has a message, in this particular case "Don't give up" but shows that not everything can be as you wish and it doesn't mean that you muns't try, but doesn't try to make you swallow to the force. And is super cute, the constrast between the personality of both characters is so fun and i belive that these two an ...more
Rossy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Funny and cute. I loved every face Piggie makes :)
Martin
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-comics, reviewed, kids
Ideal book for beginner readers say, first- and second-graders with easy vocabulary, cute illustrations. Fun stories with endearing characters. These books will be read again and again.

Piggie & Gerald. Gotta love'em. Gerald, because of his reactions and because he comes off as a bit neurotic, reminds me of the Ferocious Beast (from books like Maggie and the Ferocious Beast: The Big Scare and the kids' cartoon of the same name). And what can I tell you about Piggie other than she (yes: Piggie's
Beckett
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is FANTASTIC. Seriously, a must-read. Check out the facial expressions - exceptional. I aspire to own the whole collection one day. (I'm totally serious.)
Rick
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in this series that I've read. What caught my attention here was the whole "when pigs fly" idea. Let me explain: I have a friend who teaches at Toledo School of the Arts which has, as their mascot, a flying pig. You see it was always claimed that Toledo wouldn't have a school of the arts until pigs flew. Clearly, at least in Toledo Ohio, pigs are flying. So when this little volume tumbled onto my counter, I had to read it.
It's delightful. Willems approaches the subject of
Cam
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great series for kindergarten age kids .... very silly books.
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Willems' very dry humor works perfectly in his Elephant and Piggie easy readers. Lots of white space makes these approachable for those learning to read and the format for each page is similar without being boring. Words are all in speech bubbles with the different colors indicating which character is speaking. The illustrations are very simple and yet emotions are clearly communicated to the reader. Today I Will Fly is not my favorite of the series as Gerald appears to be fairly dismissive in t ...more
Jennifer Toomey
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Room 108 LOVED this book. We chose it as our Literacy Week Book! We decorated our door to look just like the front cover of this book and are working on a readers Theatre production to perform for other students.
Do yourself a favor and read this book! In fact, read all the Piggie and Elephant books.
Tiffany
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cute story by Mo Willems. In this one, Piggie is sure she'll be able to fly, but Gerald keeps trying to (figuratively) shoot her down -- what a naysayer. But Piggie gets some help, and although she doesn't fly on her own, she's still up in the air :)

A nice story about perseverance, as well as friendship and teamwork.
Kathy
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
We can't get enough of elephant & piggie books at our house. Great for starting readers and parents too! ...more
Gracie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems is one of my favorite authors. I love this book because it is a quick read but is so fun at the same time. I love his use of simple sentences, humor, and speech bubbles.
Elaine
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm very surprised this is the first in the series, but it is very good!
Abigail
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Readers
Shelves: early-readers
Gerald and Piggie were two very different people, despite their friendship. Ebullient Piggie was enthusiastic - in this case, for the idea of flying - while Gerald was more cautious... more skeptical. Piggie's determination to fly plays off quite humorously against Gerald's determined belief that she cannot. When she does, after a fashion, Gerald's conception of what is possible is changed. But does that mean he can fly too?

The release earlier this month of The Thank You Book , the twenty-fif
Pablo V
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The the boy and girl her said no I don’t want to fly and her world not say today or tomorrow and yesterday and her want to go to house and her get hunt and fly and her want to house and her mom was sick and her want to house and her not to fly
Paul Dilley
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This whole series very popular now with both kiddos. Will comment later on some other books in it.
Rienne Taylor
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-307
This story is about the friendship between Gerald and Piggie, they are the best of friends. Gerald is more sensible and realistic where Pigge is imaginative and hopeful. Even though Gerald thinks it is impossible for Piggie to fly and even with all of his negative comments, Piggie does end up flying!! Of course with a little bit of help.
The book is pretty repetitive which would be easy for younger children to work on their reading skills in the classroom. The illustrations are very simple yet yo
Ninjamechanic
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best things about kiddos is the day they say, "I want to read this, to you."

Ellie discovered the Elephant and Piggie books through her school librarian. The pictures are great and the story is perfect for emerging readers. It is the sort of book she can read to me every night for a week without either of us getting bored.
Melissa Wike
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
This was not as funny as “waiting is not easy”
Jennie Lower
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eleanor almost read this all by herself! Eeeek! Proud mama!!!
Azura
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to think...I like this book so much, I love this book so much, that I want to keep it!

Azura spoke
Alanis Bailon
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maxwell Rae
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
More suited to kids learning to read.
Brigid Cruickshank
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A family favorite - the book I never get sick of reading!
Lizzy Seitz
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
5.0 out of 5 stars

I read this to my mom while she drove and she and I loved this! Good lessons of never giving up and thinking outside the box

• Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Scaredy Squirrel
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • No, David!
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • A Weekend with Wendell
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • Little Pea
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • I'm a Shark
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)

News & Interviews