Start by marking “The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!” as Want to Read:
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!

The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!

(Pigeon)

When Pigeon finds a delicious hot dog, he can hardly wait to shove the entire thing in his beak. But . . . then a very sly and hungry duckling enters the scene and wants a bite. Who will be the more clever bird?

In this hilarious follow-up to the acclaimed Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Mo Willems has created another avian adventure that encourages children to share ev
Published May 1st 2004 by Hyperion Books for Children

Start your review of The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about sharing!
Sophia Triad
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pigeon shares a hot dog with the curious/devious duckling.
Another awesome humorous book for children with our favourite pigeon.

This hot dog is mine
Maaganiit Noori
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Also known as "Miimii Miikaan Gizhood Nimosh" - Our Ojibwe language table did a full translation of the title and when we met with Mo, he granted us permission to publish it in exchange for teaching him to say,"Nd'Anishinaabemtaw dibishko Kchi-Mookamaan-Akiing biizhikii: (I speak Ojibwe like an American cow.).

Email mnoori@umich.edu if you't like the full text ; ) We also have "Gego Bigidnike Mibizowaad Kchidaabaan" the companion title.
Matt
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
As luck would have it, Mo Willems can sometimes be nice to his self-centred Pigeon character. There is an unclaimed hot dog for the taking and Pigeon wants it. He is prepared to dig in, but Duckling comes to ask about this treat. He has never had one, leaving Pigeon to extol the virtues of a hot dog. Duckling wonders just what it might taste like, leading Pigeon to crack and share his spoils. But, it does not stop there... Neo laughed as he had been wanting to read this book for a long time. I’m ...more
Pooja
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
"This is not A hot dog! This is My hot dog!"

Never thought these children's books to be so funny!
Ronyell
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Pigeon Series!!!
Pigeon

Whew! Just how many “Pigeon” books are out there? I must have read over a dozen “Pigeon” books written by Mo Willems already, but I am alright with that since I have enjoyed practically all of Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” book series. So, the most recent one I had read is called “The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!” which is just as funny and witty as the previous “Pigeon” books!

The book starts off with the Pigeon finding a hot dog on the ground and wanting to eat it. Just as the Pigeon was about to e
midnightfaerie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
We read several "okay" books today and then this one. From the start it had every single one of my children and myself completely enraptured with our pigeon and his hot dog dilemma. The illustrations are always so simplistic yet detailed, and I love the expressions on the characters face. Such a range of emotions are betrayed brilliantly from hostility to a bored sort of sarcasm that almost makes you feel our pigeon is rolling his eyes. A wonderful book, and a great lesson about sharing to boot, ...more
Aleisha
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My wacky babies (sans Lilly) are currently obsessed with the pigeon books by Mo Willems. (As they should be! They are BRILLIANT!) So much of the story is captured in the minimal (yet extremely expressive) illustrations that seem to nudge the reader to slow down, look at the pictures, enjoy the story, and stay a while.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Pigeon is the lucky bird to find a lone hotdog. He is just about the gobble it up when a calm duckling distracts him from his purpose and persuades him to share.

My nephew and I really loved the art in this book. It is simple and the bubbles for the words adds a touch of whimsy. That duckling totally won out hearts and we were happy to see the birds share in the end. Sharing is totally the message and I think that it was fascinating
Ashlee Tominey
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was our first Pigeon book and we loved it! I also just like hearing my son say "pigeon" and "hot dog". After we read it each time, we turn to the back cover page and pretend to eat all the hot dogs pictured there. A very fun read.
Laura McLoughlin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very silly fun. Can't really go wrong with the Pigeon (or the Duckling for that matter)
J. Bryce
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, children-s
I love Mo Willems and read em all! Mostly.
SheAintGotNoShoes
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the artwork and love the two pages where he comes up with every possible excuse, before sharing his found hotdog ! Great. A+++++
Abigail
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Entertaining, Humorous Tales for Younger Children
Following up on his initial Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! , in which the eponymous pullastrine hero tried to wheedle his way into the driver's seat, Mo Willems here has his pigeon interacting with a persistent and very clever duckling. Having found a delicious hot dog, Pigeon is intent on eating it, and immensely frustrated at the continual questioning of Duckling, which prevents him from doing so. There is a method to The Duckling's madness, of course, and the two birds end up sharing ...more
Jessica
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The pigeons side eye was savage af 😂
Anna
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
So I have to admit that we first read "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" because it's so well-loved and both my son and I didn't love it that much. BUT, I thought I would give this book a shot and boy, it's funny. It cracks me up. And my son now walks around asking "Does a hot dog taste like chicken?"
Steve Holden
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is another of the Pigeon books I've had for a long time. This one cracked me up when it first came out! I loved the subtle humor in illustrations and the interaction it creates in a read aloud. This is such a silly premise, but one that resonates with children, and when you can connect fun and reading, it's always a win!
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The pigeon is at it again, will he get to enjoy his hot dog? I guess you'll just have to read the book to find out!
Amy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2nd graders
Recommended to Amy by: the kids
The kids loved it, especially my voice for the little duck.
Van
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
So cute illustrations as well as the story! Definitely love it!
David Joseph  Mikels
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
it's awesome according to my kid
Shawn Deal
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Pigeon finds a hot dog but has a hard time sharing it with someone who would just like to try a bite.
Kelsey
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Food: Hot Dogs

Duckling enters the Pigeon series to counter Pigeon's silly, abrupt cajoling with a cute, inquisitive style of getting what he wants. Excited to bite into a hot dog, Pigeon is interrupted by Duckling's curiosity. "What do they taste like?" sets off pigeon into a loving rant about the deliciousness of the hot dog leading him to almost offer Duckling a taste--wait a second! Kids will love seeing Pigeon bamboozled by a tiny, precious Duckling.
Jennifer-Trixie Bruns
The pigeon faces an existential crises. Can the pigeon be more than the pigeon is? Can the pigeon in a moment of great crisis become a better pigeon ? This is the page turner question that the author tries to answer. The finding of the hotdog poses a serious conundrum to the pigeon. How could the pigeon share such a morsel of tasty delight? Is the bird just manipulating pigeon to get a taste? And though it might be hard the pigeon must lean deep into his courage and learn to share. In doing so h ...more
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My two-year-old's favorite book. He can barely talk but he will sit and "read" this out loud and mimic the voices we make for it. To be honest we all love it and the other pigeon books. But especially this one. :-)
Manuela
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mom: 5 stars - love this book!

Maxwell: 4 stars. I love that book because the duckling is very curious and the pigeon was like I don’t care what u say. The pigeon was being mean To the duckling. But the duckling was very smart.
Brian
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read while waiting on the Online Pickup line at Kohl's
J
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this to my niece. Not my favorite pigeon book, but it kept her attention and it's lots of fun.
bookme4life
Practicing my Spanish skills!
Katelyn Marie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with The Pigeon books.
did you get hungry or did you feel blah that he ate a hot dog off the floor 2 5 Apr 26, 2017 07:11PM
732013177 1 1 Jun 03, 2015 02:05AM

• If You Take a Mouse to School
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Olivia Saves the Circus (Olivia, #2)
  • Parts
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • No, David!
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • How I Became a Pirate
  • Snowmen at Night
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Pigeon (9 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School