Start by marking “House” as Want to Read:
House

House

(Books of History Chronicles)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  23,231 ratings  ·  1,749 reviews

A mind-bending supernatural thriller from the creators of This Present Darkness and Saint.

Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker -- two of the most acclaimed writers of supernatural thrillers -- have joined forces for the first time to craft a story unlike any you've ever read. Enter House -- where you'll find yourself thrown into a killer's deadly game in which the only way to win

Published March 13th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about House, please sign up.
Warren Stevens I loved The Oath, it was amazing. I also loved several of Ted Dekker's books. However, I was very disappointed by House. It's hard to put my finger on…moreI loved The Oath, it was amazing. I also loved several of Ted Dekker's books. However, I was very disappointed by House. It's hard to put my finger on why. I think it's that in Peretti and Dekker's solo work, the explanations and conclusions make sense internally to the story whether or not they're spiritual or fantastic. I felt that in House, the explanations didn't make sense and it felt like they just didn't know how to end it. But I'm not a big fan of horror (I like lots of thrillers and sci-fi that border on horror, but not much pure horror), so maybe it's just not to my taste. (less)

·  23,231 ratings  ·  1,749 reviews

Start your review of House
J. Kent Messum
I keep practically every book I ever read...

...I didn't keep this one though.

(Update: I was going to leave it at the two lines above since I'm not particularly fond of a giving a book a bad review, but I just can't let this one get away without giving it a damn good spanking. And so...)

I've read a lot of bad books in my time. And I've probably read worse than this one. But whenever someone asks me what the most terrible book I ever read was, 'House' inevitably springs to mind. To this day I sti
Miss_otis
Oct 14, 2007 rated it did not like it
Dull. Dull, dull, dull, and did I mention, so very dull?*

After having car trouble (read: “run over a bunch of nails planted in the road”), an estranged couple find themselves in a B&B type establishment in the middle of nowhere, where they, and a second couple, are promptly creeped out by the backwoods owners and informed of the fact that Scary Killer will be coming after them, cause they’re basically sacrifices.

I didn’t find it at all suspenseful, the writing was not notable, it gave a pretty
Andrew
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-horror
I have never done a review on GoodReads before, but I believe this book merits it...

This is the worst book I have ever read. I'm not just saying that because I disagree with the themes that this story was based on; it was written badly. It was 3rd grade-level bad. It reminded me that any book in the Goosebumps series would be a welcoming divergence, and I'm not exaggerating. Whenever a story has magic or supernatural forces, it needs to have rules so that there is clarity in what is happening th
Mel
Aug 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I thought that a collaboration of two of my favorite authors would produce an excellent work of fiction! I was so wrong. This was just a horror novel with a muddled message. I was so disgusted with the plot that I actually put the book down, lost it for over a month, found it while looking for something else, and finally finished it by sheer willpower.

WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

These guys could have really written something worthwhile, a book with a great lesson taught ever-so-subtly. Instead, they
MeMe
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review coming Soon
Tanya
Mar 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Tanya by: Myself - because I'm stupid
Ugh!
When I read the back of this book, it had such potential. I thought it was going to be super creepy. Unbeknown to me though, I had never read either of these authors, and honestly it was a big long religious package... mixed with horrible writing. It's a collaboration between two authors and it's like when you were in school and a teacher would have you start a story and pass it on to someone next to you. You didn't know the characters, or anything, you just had to move on the plot; and the
m a r y l i z
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Huh. That was rather different.

How does one describe House? Weird? Creepy? Intriguing? Mind-bending? Unnerving?

It's all those things, really. I don't think there's any way to define a Dekker book. (Because yes, this read MUCH more like a Dekker book than a Peretti one, in my opinion.)

Annnnd that's probably why my thoughts are as jumbled as trail mix right now.

Okay, so the creepy factor? VERY HIGH. Don't do what I did and read this while pulling an all-nighter, folks. It will freak you out to se
Philip
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
I picked this book up from the library, thumbed through a few pages, and decided to preview it by reading the first chapter. I had other books I thought I should get through first, before I could start another. So I previewed it.

Fifteen chapters later, I had to put the book down because it was getting late.

House is an amazing thriller about survival through not just this world, but the next. It's really one of the few books that actually had my mind running.

An excellent book by far. I recommend
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, adult
It's my first time to read a book from Dekker and/or Peretti so I don't have any expectations whatsoever to what will I read. I've just started reading the book and hope for the best.

You can guess my hope didn't amount to what I've got in the end. I'm disappointed with this novel. It started with a generic setup and ends with a deus ex machina. The in-between is kind of good and bad at the same time.

I've been entertained with some parts. I've got scared, even thrilled and emphatized with the cha
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
For all of my reviews, visit https://theblondelikesbooks.wordpress...

House is a supernatural thriller about seven people who end up in a house together. Shortly after arriving, odd things start happening and getting progressively worse. It culminates when a tin can is thrown into the house with three rules for the game.

1. God came to my house and I killed him
2. I will kill anyone who does to my house and I killed God
3. Give me one dead body, and I might let rule two slide

Now everyone in the ho
Dora
Jun 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seoda
Feb 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Why, why did I waste time reading this book when I could have been...Oh, I don't know, scrubbing the bathroom floor with a toothbrush? It's one of those crappy horror "thrillers" that make you feel kind of dirty when you're done. I do admit to finishing the book-- a fast read despite its gargantuan hardcover size-- but only because it held my interest JUST ENOUGH to wonder if it would improve. Like when they introduced Susan's character, I was muttering to myself, "Well, maybe this will liven th ...more
Cait S
Aug 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow am I furious at having been so blatantly mislead by the summary of this book. So let me give you the actual run down. If you enjoy books by Stephen King.............don't read this because you will question your life choices until you die and also wonder how some people ever even get their books published.

If you HATE books by Stephen King because you wish that he didn't know how to write believable characters or progress plot lines in any way or write stories people actually want to read an
Abigail
Jan 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
So, I made the mistake of only bringing this book on a week-long camping trip.
It was a really big mistake.
This book was dull, badly written, and forced. And that's the good stuff I have to say about it. The characters were so badly handled that I had trouble reading it. They had no depth and could have been left out of the story with no major impact.
It deals horribly with abuse victims and is an insult to published works.
I wish I could have rated this 0/5 but unfortunately that isn't a choice
Cindy Newton
OMG but this was TERRIBLE! I only finished it because it was a buddy-read situation for Litsy. It's even more horrible because they took my favorite trope--the haunted house--and totally ruined it. Problems with this book:

1. Characters are unlikable (forgivable) and one-dimensional (unforgivable!). My only regret is that some of them survived the ending.
2. The plot is too much. It's like a mashup of all different types of horror stories. You've got the homicidal hillbillies living in the house (
Mike (the Paladin)
I have read books by Frank Peretti that I really liked. The Visitation is one of my favorite books. There are other books By Mr. Peretti that I don't care for at all and some that fall in between. On the other hand I've never read a book by Mr. Dekker that I liked. I've wanted to, I've tried to but I just didn't care for them.

So, here's another I just didn't care for. Personally (and of course the opinions here are my own) I think the book fails as both theological teaching and horror. I appreci
Bob
Jul 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Picked up this book as a result of watching the associated movie one night. The movie had a lot of potential, so I thought the book would be interesting as well. What I found was a poorly written, insipid horror story with a thinly veiled Christian agenda.

I tried my best to power through the book, even though I had lost interest in the first couple of chapters, but finally had to just put it down for good about 3/4 of the way through it. The line that finally did me in was "he pulled out one of
ladylovesherlibrary
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Embarking on a new book regime is a little like jumping into the deep end of the pool; you’re never quite sure if you’re gonna sink or swim. I guess that’s how I feel about Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker’s religious fiction novel House is a definitely the unworn path that I do not usual take.
I liked the horror of this novel. It involved an ominous evil force within a house in the middle of nowhere. There are main elements of this book that I didn’t like, but the one thing that I really associated
Hannah Mullen
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves five stars because it has a great mixture of suspense and mystery. There is even a little romance! It will keep you on the edge of your seat! If you didn't understand the book then you didn't pay attention while reading it. Ted Dekker is a wonderful author who gives his books Christian themes and backgrounds without making it super religious. Not that anything is wrong with a very religious book. The theme of this book is light defeats darkness. The light being Jesus and the d ...more
Hannah Rodriguez
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
creepy? yes
good message with this twisty and complex allegory that Ted Dekker always gives? yes
did Hannah scream when she went to watch the trailer for the film adaption (and had a thought about watching it)? yes
is she watching it? NO (not now at least) maybe with a friend. maybe.
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
House has been on my shelf for a couple of years, and it was one of the novels I didn’t make it to on last year’s spooky October list. I made it first this year to be sure I actually got to it, and I’m sorry that I bothered. I read and liked Frank Peretti’s Veritas Project novels when I was younger, but they in no way prepared me for this. There’s a lot of bitterness ahead; you may want to bring an umbrella. Spoilers will be clearly marked. Trigger warning: rape.

Two couples find themselves trapp
Stefani
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't require an explanation to their books
Recommended to Stefani by: the bargain books table
Shelves: swapped, paperback
I have only one word for this book: BO-RING! Well, okay maybe there are two: BO-RING and CONFUSING!! But let's start with the basics. First and foremost: SPOILER ALERT, please read no further if you don't want to be spoiled.

Jack and Stephanie are married. They are driving through the middle of a rural area to go see their marriage counselor. You get the feeling that something really bad happened in their relationship but you don't quite know what. Jack is bitter and resentful toward his wife, wh
Carolyne Coleman
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
There should be an option on this site called, "Accidentally Read."

You know when you watch a glass vase fall- and in that split second right before it hits the floor, you're like, "Oh no! That's going to be horrible when it shatters." I spent the entire time reading this book with that in mind.

Shallow characters battled with one dimensional personal problems while being chased around by swamp people, a redneck in a tin can, and a little girl that happened to be Jesus. The entire book was like
Bookworm
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
House reminded me of a mix between the movies Saw, The Strangers and Vacancy. This book was a great read, full of scary moments and suspense. I like a good horror story and this one delivered. Word to the wise, don't read this while home alone or at night. ...more
Melanie
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: where, rereads
This was a fun reread. I originally read the book back when it was first released, I think, but this is my first time reading it after seeing the movie. I found myself picturing the film while reading and that made for a great read. I definitely think the book had more details, but that is usually the case.

The house was creepy...and the basement?? Yikes. The house "rules" were crazy. The ending was intense.

All in all, I really enjoyed this reread and it is a favorite of Dekker's for me.
L
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
PUMPKINHEAD
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Uhg. This was some seriously weak sauce when all was said and done. It had its moments here and there, but this novel mostly played out like a poorly produced straight-to-DVD run-of-the-mill horror movie. And the 'Yay! The good guys always win!' ending made me groan and roll my eyes. ...more
Rissa
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing they could do they had to go in. But once they were in they couldn’t get out.
It was low intensity, low action and it was pleasent to read. You know how you dont always want a book with all action, all drama, just a good mystery with nice amount of everything. It was a good book. But if you want a higher mystery, a good chase its not this. But i wanted a calm mystery with some good twists and it was perfect for that.

Zachary
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I knew it should be good, because both of these authors have established themselves as excellent writes, specifically for Christian audiences. Though I could tell by the development of the storyline and plot that this book was specifically aimed at both Christian and non-Christian audiences, it still had much of the feel of a Christian book.

That being said, it is definitely better written than most Christian fiction and would probabl
Janie Johnson
I was really looking forward to this book and was excited to read it, but this book was not really what I had expected at all. Well I should say the premise of the book actually was, but it all came together in a way I did not expect. There were a lot of characters involved and I gotta say I did not really like any of them. Hard to decide who was actually an antagonist or protagonist.

I loved the air of mystery that surrounded the house, and that was what kept me going on the book. I thought that

• Thr3e
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • Saint (Paradise, #2)
  • White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • Boneman's Daughters
  • Sinner (Paradise, #3)
  • Adam
  • Blink
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)
  • Chaos (The Lost Books, #4)
  • The Bride Collector
  • The Circle Trilogy (The Circle, #1-3)
  • Forbidden (The Books of Mortals, #1)
  • Hacker (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • Obsessed
  • Burn
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg

Books of History Chronicles (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • Saint (Paradise, #2)
  • Sinner (Paradise, #3)
  • Chosen (The Lost Books, #1)
  • Infidel (The Lost Books, #2)
  • Renegade (The Lost Books, #3)