Start by marking “Jurassic Park” as Want to Read:
Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park

(Jurassic Park #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  736,334 ratings  ·  10,647 reviews
From the author of Timeline, Sphere, and Congo, this is the classic thriller of science run amok that took the world by storm.

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

“Wonderful... powerful.”—The Washington Post Book World

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now humankind’s most thrilling fantasies have come true. Creatures extinct
Published May 14th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published November 7th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jurassic Park, please sign up.
Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos…moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Erin The first time I read this book I was about 10. I remember learning some new words when I read it. I think a lot of it went over my head. I read it a…moreThe first time I read this book I was about 10. I remember learning some new words when I read it. I think a lot of it went over my head. I read it a second time now that I'm in my thirties, I would still let my younger self read it.(less)

·  736,334 ratings  ·  10,647 reviews

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Lesson from this book: Kids are annoying and will get you killed.

Ok I’m slightly exaggerating but have you noticed how frustrating children characters are during a crisis?

I’m sure they would be during the apocalypse or when being tracked by dinosaurs but I wanted to throw my phone at the wall a few times while reading this book.

With that said, I now have a new completely reasonable phobia, being eaten alive by a dinosaur.

Crichton did an amazing job at keeping me on my toes and completely stress
Miranda Reads
description

“Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.”
Jurassic Park has all the major problems of a theme park, a zoo...and genetically altered prehistoric animals.

That's right - the dinosaurs are back from the dead and nothing - I repeat nothing - could go wrong...right?

Ha.

As my favorite character, Ian Malcom would say,
All major changes are like death. You can't see to the other side until you are there.
Though, considering som
Alejandro
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I am from that prec
Wendy Darling
Rereading for obvious reasons. :D :D :D :D
Sr3yas
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❝ Discovery, they believe, is inevitable. So they just try to do it first. That's the game in science.❞
-------------- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

❝ All the Dinosaurs feared the T-Rex❞
------ Wade Wilson, Deadpool (2016)

🎵Velociraptor, he’s gonna find ya
He’s gonna kill ya, he’s gonna eat ya 🎵
----- Velociraptor, Kasabian

Welcome..... to Jurassic Park's review

I remember back when I was a kid, my dad rented a VHS (yes, the legendary VHS was real, young ones) cassette of an English movie. I think I
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: James Davie
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Art
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Shelves: audiobooks
Luffy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So, straight to it. Jurassic Park, the book, is inimitable, apart from a few clumsy attempts. One thing that differentiated it from its wannabes is that, unlike books about sharks, snakes or let's say, zombies, dinosaurs come in very varied shapes. This means that the way the casualties meet their end is just as variable.

Michael Crichton props up his last act with inspired flair and experienced cunning. He knows that the action in this book will go only so far, just like last acts in an all out
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT A BOOK THAT BECAME ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO, GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND CHANGED THE WAY WE LOOKED AT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOREVER. IF YOU CONSIDER ANYTHING IN MY REVIEW A “SPOILER,” THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE YOU WERE CREATED IN A LAB FROM SOME FOSSILIZED AMBER.

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot of spare money lying around. By dro
Zora
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Anne
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Hey, did y'all know they made a movie out of this one?

description
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
I love, love, love the amount of research put into the science. As a bio nerd, I love that it built off possibilities and expanded into something intense and thrilling.

But the characters were a little one-dimensional? Like they just existed to push the plot forward? And maybe it’s just because the movie handles tension SO well... this didn’t seem to? (You don’t have to stop and explain the science WHILE the Raptors are attacking, mkay?)

——————-
It’s possible I procrastinated reading this for my m
Simeon
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Lyn
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is most frequently the case, the book was better than the film.

And it was a really cool movie. Directed by Stephen Spielberg.

The section of Universal theme park in Orlando is fun too.

Michael Crichton’s 1990 genetically powered biological thriller combines an action packed adventure story with a cautionary tale of corporate, capitalistic greed gone wrong and rolls it all into a humanistic story with excellent characterization and that could be read as a powerful allegory of the harsh realities
Lola
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

DNF. The movie is better.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jurassic park: a novel (Jurassic Park #1), Michael Crichton
Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). A cautionary tale about genetic engineering, it presents the collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its real world implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995. In 1997, both novels
RedemptionDenied
The Kindle (25th Anniversary) edition is currently uber cheap: $0.64 in the States, £0.49p in the UK and $2.99 in Canada. I read the hardcover copy, about two decades ago - and if I was able to rate it at that juncture, I would have given it 4★
seak
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, audio, 2015
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I guess I've always had my reservations because of what an impact the movie had on me as a kid. I was about 9 or 10 when the movie first came out and it blew my mind. As the book likes to point out, boys love dinosaurs and that was true.

As a side note, I'm loving how much my son (5 y.o.) loves dinosaurs. He knows so much more about them than I do, in fact his favorite is the Giganotosaurus, a dinosaur I learned existed from him.

(the hipster's T-Rex)

N
karen
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i haven't read this book in a long, long time, but i STILL managed a fine readalike list for it over on riffle, in what be my very last riffle list ever. ):

Nandakishore Varma
What do you say about a concept that has become iconic? Jurassic Park has grown beyond Crichton's novel, into a movie, into a theme park attraction, into a thousand types of paraphernalia... In fact, it has become so popular that we forget the original work this concept came from.

I saw the movie first. It is a marvel of special effects and unbearably suspenseful. The book is nothing like that.

This novel is a serious work of science fiction. As with Crichton's other novels, the research is so det
Aishu Rehman
This book is the perfect blend of reality and imagination. I applaud Michael Crichton- this concept is solid as well as reasonable. This book includes all of the character's perspectives, which I find a little confusing at times, but does an awesome job of telling the story. There is equality of all types, as there are two strong female characters, and the book takes place on an island near Costa Rica. The only thing is that this book includes lots of gore, people and animals dying, and a single ...more
Will M.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece by Crichton. Can't believe it took me years to finally pick this one up and read it.

I watched the movie adaptation when I was a kid, so I can't really remember much of the plot other than dinosaurs gone wild, and I'm sure I remember an elevator scene. Aside from those, I had no idea what was in store for me before I read this. I wasn't hesitant on reading this, but my really long TBR list was the reason why I didn't read this sooner than I should have. All I can say is that
Vanessa J.
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Books With Chemistry

Well, everyone knows what this is about, but for this review to make sense, I’m going to suppose you all live in caves and have never heard about the existence of Jurassic Park.

Everything starts with a billionaire that wants more money. It has been discovered that extincted animals can be cloned and, in a way, brought back to life. He uses this to buy a remote island in Costa Rica and build a theme park that features the famous dinosaurs. Things, however,
Ashley Daviau
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little hesitant to read this book because I have such an immense love and appreciation for the movies. But I'm glad to say that I think I may have enjoyed the book MORE than the movies! Which is really saying something because Jurassic Park is one of my all time fave movies!

The only thing that stopped it from being five stars is that I found the beginning a bit slow to start. There was a lot of explanation and set up and I found it a tad boring if I'm being honest. But I can see how it
Brandon
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the movie
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Shelves: 2015, syfy, fiction
"Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something."

In 1993, Steven Spielberg brought dinosaurs to life on the big screen. At the time, Jurassic Park was so immensely popular that I would be shocked to find someone today who hasn't seen it. Now, with the forthcoming release of Jurassic World, dinosaurs are all the rage again. During a routine trip to the book store, I picked up both Ju
Veronique
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
Like many, I loved the film, and indeed its sequels. Who doesn’t like dinosaurs and rip-roaring adventure? I hadn’t however read the book that started it all...

Going through the pages, I couldn’t help trying to find the scenes that I knew so well. Most are there, but indeed in a different form due to the medium, the same applying to the characters. What fun to hear Malcolm’s Chaos theories and witness Grant’s survival!

This is a compelling thriller with a brilliant theme but somehow, having been
AudioBookLover
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's freakin' Jurassic Park! What else is there to say? The guy who reads this does a good job. I give him and the book 5 stars.

Story *****
Audiobook *****
Dannii Elle
“Discovery is always rape of the natural world. Always.”

I have been watching the Jurassic Park movies since I was a child. I have watched and rewatched every single one so many times and have no idea why it has taken me so long to read the book the franchise was based upon. Jurassic Park is the first in Crichton's dinosaur duology but elements from the first three movies have their genesis inside this book.

This begun in quiet a different vein to the film, featuring a multitude of small scenes wh
Jr Bacdayan
RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Imagine yourself a prey, being hunted by the one of the most deadliest predators that ever roamed the earth. The Tyrannosaurus Rex. About 30 feet of pure muscle with a massive head that contains the biggest set of teeth that could turn your flesh and bones into mush in one bite.

You are trapped. You have nowhere to go. Your entire body is shaking.

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

You might or might not have peed in y
Dennis
In 1993 my parents took me on vacation to Florida. It turned out to be a quite peculiar trip. First we had an emergency landing in Neufundland, because of a hole in the airplane. One I had a pretty good look at from where I was seated. Then there was a shark alert while we were at a Miami beach. And on our visit to the Universal Studios in Orlando we passed on the Jurassic Park attraction, because none of us had ever heard about it.

The shark turned out to be a ray. And while the hole in the airp
YA Buddy Readers'...: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - Starting June 15th 2019 12 45 Jun 28, 2019 02:19PM
I thought Ian Malcolm died in this book? 58 1635 Jun 19, 2019 02:59AM
Top 10 Michael Crichton's Books/Movies/TV Show 1 6 Jun 05, 2019 11:59AM
The Ink to Film B...: Jurassic Park 6 10 May 30, 2019 12:46PM
Galactic Grimoire...: Jurassic Park (Jan-Feb Book) 1 7 Feb 20, 2019 08:42AM
Play Book Tag: Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton- 4.5 Stars! 12 24 Feb 02, 2019 11:43AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Mars (The Grand Tour, #4)
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)
  • Raptor Red
  • The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Anna Karenina
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Red Storm Rising
  • Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2)
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park #2)
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 374 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 343 likes