Start by marking “Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go” as Want to Read:
Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go

Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go

Oh, a-hunting we will go,
A-hunting we will go;
We'll catch a fox and put him in a box,
And then we'll let him go! So begins this rollicking folk song that has delighted generations of children and inspired them to make up their own verses. John Langstaff has selected some of the most popular stanzas, both old and new, that are sure to bring out smiles and giggles. Nancy Wins
Published September 30th 1991 by Aladdin (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go

Start your review of Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go
Manybooks
Although I do indeed much appreciate that ALL of the animals stalked and caught in John Langstaff's Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go adaptation are released (and that in the end, everything is actually portrayed as having been entirely make-believe anyhow), on an purely personal level, I do rather consider the whole concept of a group of youngsters basically hunting and apprehending diverse animals as some kind of a fun and diverting pastime and sport as at best more than a bit troubling (and while the ...more
Huong
Judy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd forgotten all about this folk song, so I haven't passed it on to any of the kids. I hope this prompts my memory. The art isn't wonderful, but it works.

The first verse in this book reads:
Oh, a-hunting we well go,
A-hunting we will go;
We'll catch a fox
and put him in a box,
And then we'll let him go!

Yep. That's the updated version. The last line I used to sing was ...
And never let him go!

Nonsensical, of course. I don't remember ever being disturbed by the thought of boxing up animals.
Sally
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very popular with my grandchildren. 3 1/2 stars.
Leah
Great rhymes! In a storytime, I'd be sure to start with the final verse: Oh, a-hunting we will go, a-hunting we will go; we'll just pretend and in the end, we'll always let them go!
Hannah Knight
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
Children will love this book because words rhyme!
asummersday
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like rhyming books.
E
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute rhymes, no one gets hurt.
Kelly Borton
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a classic folk lyric that I remember as a child. John Langstaff has incorporated the same verse with new animals and rhyme. It's fun and humorous while visualizing and creating silly rhymes. For example, "catching a bear and putting him in his underwear." The illustrations are simple, childlike and complement the verse it represents. In addition to his twist on this popular lyric, the original song of six verses is in the back of the book.

I would use this book in PK-2 grade and adapt it
Andrea Salcedo
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh A-Hunting We Will Go
By: John Langstaff
Recommended ages: 4-9

This book is about a going on a hunting trip. The hunter catches a bunch of animals but lets them go in the end. Every time they mention an anima,l such as the fox, they use another word like box, to make it rhyme. This kind of poetry falls under songs.

I really like this book because it teaches kids that poetry is fun by teaching them a cute and fun rhyming song.
Sara
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh A-Hunting We Will Go by John Langstaff and Nancy Winslow Parker is a fantastic book based on the classic folk song. This book works well both for beginning readers and for teachers looking for a sing-a-loud book. I've been reading this book in my class for years and the kids always love the rhyming pairs and trying to guess what will be next for each animal and catching the rhyme and love singing along.

This is a book that will be enjoyed by kids from 3-8.
Ariela Ruvalcaba
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! A book that I enjoyed reading as a child, only makes me feel the same way when reading it again, This rhyming book is perfect to put to music and encourage students to singalong. The book has interesting pictures and incorporates many different animals, so students creativity can flow!
A.J.
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a humorous book about a group of children that go hunting. The unique part about this book is that it is meant to be sung. This book could really help readers that are struggling with fluency.
Buxmont Uu
Nov 23, 2013 added it
Shelves: bcfl, cmmw
CMMW 18
Tuyet Tran
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sing-a-long, animals
Oh, A-Hunting we will go... Very interesting animals got caught and put into a rhyming word that rhyme with the animal name.
Kelley Mcalhany
cute story that can be played with music so the students can dance and sing or make their own play about what they will find when they go hunting.
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Great book to teach rhyming to kids.
Susan Klemetti
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The extra verses to a classic song are kinda fun.
Terrah Carroll
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun interactive book that would capture the attention of students in a classroom, or create bonding with child and parent.
Consuelo
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-children
"Oh, A-Hunting We Will Go" helps young children to learn about rhyming and word families.
Ceste Stanly

• Big Fat Hen
  • Ghost in the House
  • High in the Mountains
  • Once Upon a Jungle
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Boom, Baby, Boom, Boom!
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • One Summer Night
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • Haven (The Last Humans, #3)
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • That's Not How You Do It!
  • Too Many Toys
  • Everywhere the Cow Says "Moo!"
  • The Balcony