Start by marking “The School Mouse” as Want to Read:
The School Mouse

The School Mouse

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  501 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Flora must convince everyone that reading is tremendously important -- especially after she finds a bag marked POISON!
Published March 10th 1999 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The School Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The School Mouse

Neil Coulter
Dick King-Smith will probably always be best known for his story of Babe the pig. Around our house, his most beloved story is "Fat Lawrence," the tale of a cat who games the neighborhood food system and then learns that who he really is and who his lady love wants him to be are the same thing. It's a great story.

Anyway, I didn't know what to read to the kids at bedtime, so I grabbed this one off the shelf. My youngest son had read it a couple of times, but I wasn't familiar with it. Like all of
Kevin
Jun 03, 2013 added it
Chazzi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Flora is not just your average mouse. She is a school mouse. Born to a family of 12, Flora is the only one to took learning to heart.

Living in the Kindergarten room, she became interested in what the children did when they were there. After a bit, she discovered they were learning. This excited her and she decided that she would learn too.

The rest of her family weren't interested in learning reading, but Flora was dedicated. Her learning later paid off in saving her family.

I have read a few of D
Claire
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Great book! A little boring for my 2nd grader, but my 3rd grader and I are eager to look for more by this author!
Laura Verret
Flora and her family are school mice – meaning that they live in a school. But Flora is concerned that they are not taking full advantage of the opportunities that a school has to offer. She determines that she will become the world’s very first educated mouse!

It won’t be easy. And she must be very careful to make sure that she is not seen. But can a mouse really learn to read? And when Flora reads that the tasty little pellets being scattered throughout the school are ‘POISON’, can Flora convin
Julie
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
So my 7-year old daughter and I read this book together for a school project (the project, which came home on Friday, was to read a book with your parent and make a puppet of the main character). Ella picked this one, and we traded reading aloud to each other. We had been reading some non-fiction lately (she likes the "Who Was..." series), but she thought this book would make for a better report. Can you guess what it is about? Basically, a whole bunch of mice live in a school, but one of them ( ...more
Carole
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
The main charector is Flora. She was the oldest of 10 mice. She was the smartest of the whole family. Even smarter than her parents. that is because she went to school. They lived in an old school house so she decided to learn how to read.

Her family thought it was silly. Until, a tradgec thing Happened. Her family was going to get popisened but, she got there in time to save her mom, dad,and 5 of her brothers and sisters. I now that the name dosn't make the book sound good but, it was a pretty
Dawn
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-books
Oh boy... it's that time of year. Every book I read seems to be about a talking animal or a bully. The good news is, most of them are very entertaining. The bad news is, this one wasn't.
But, then we have these literature circles at school, and the kids get together and talk about the book and they are all completely into it. Which makes me kind of like the book, because if it can make my fourth graders excited about reading, then it must be my friend. That happened this week with this book. I c
Kelly
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a really great kids book, because it is adorable, but the actual events are quite serious. The main character, Flora; SPOILER ALERT
Gets rejected by her family
Witnesses a mass mice massacre (try saying that 5 times fast)
Loses all her siblings
Has a father with a missing tail and an injured ear, acquired through fights with other mice and an encounter with an owl
And her second set of siblings (tongue twister 2) gets devoured by a ferret.

But seriously, it is a cute little book despite these
Faith
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jenny
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was assigned by my 7 yo's teacher during the break. So she read it to me. It's a cute story of a mouse who lives in a school (the kdg. classroom) and learns to read by watching the teacher's lessons. Because she learns to read, she is able to save her parents' lives and eventually become a teacher for her mice family. Cute story. Some adventure, some mild romance and a very smart little mouse.
Liam Ferris
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was ok. A "school mouse" saves some of his family because she can read. Many die from the poison that was put in the school but some live. The mouse then later in the book teaches them how to read and even gets a boyfriend, they all live happily ever after.
Melissa Namba
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, coplin
a cute story about mice in a school and the one who loves learning. ultimately she becomes the mouse teacher. there are some mature themes, like deciding to start a family and procreation in pairs in general but should be ok for young readers. Lots of death though. 80% of the mice in this book die.
Rachel Inbar
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a little hard to get in to, but as I got farther into it (reading it aloud to my 6-year-old) I started to really enjoy it. By the time we got to the end, we were wondering (hoping) that there's a sequel!
Kenar KrSunshine
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago when I was in grade 2. I remember that it was the first 'long' book I read and I liked it a lot. I had (and still have) my own passion for animals like mice, so I found the story even more enjoyable. I really loved it.
Nancy
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Some children may be disturbed during the "mice getting caught by predators" scenes. Mother mouse was domineering and father mouse was a wimp. Flora mouse and her boyfriend were to have babies without getting married. Otherwise, cute story about desiring to learn and how useful it is.
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Short and good.
Lilian Wu
I read this book when I was in grade 4. It was a fun book and I enoy it quite a lot. I had read it several times and don't find it boring.
Ms Julia's Kindergarten
We are currently working through this book...slowly, but surely :) So far, so good!
Miss Amanda
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
gr 3-5 ? 123 pgs

Fantasy, mice. Despite the objections of her family, Flora is determined to learn how to read and write.
Joy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
My 7 year old read this for school, and wanted me to read it too. This tale of a little mouse, named Flora who wants to learn was charming at times, and sometimes strange. 2.5 stars rounded up to 3.
Scooping it Up
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not nearly as well written or thrilling or funny as Babe the Gallant Pig. My kids didn't love it.
Michael Opont
it was interesting
Lilsis2huntwith
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Slightly more mature topics in this story. Probably not something I would want my first/second grader to read.
Terri
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7and8bookgroup
It was a good book. Like most Dick King-Smith books a little graphic if you are unready for it.
G
May 27, 2015 added it
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cute!
Chrisann Justice
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
Jan 22, 2016 marked it as cataloged
Shelves: children
littleguy
  • The King's Equal
  • The Adventures of Johnny Chuck
  • Reindeer Do Wear Striped Underwear (The Bailey School Kids Jr. Chapter Book, #2)
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • Doodle Dandies: Poems That Take Shape
  • Snot Stew
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Horrible Harry Goes to the Moon
  • The White Assassin (Nightshade Chronicles, #2)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Stop That Hamster! (Ready, Freddy!, #12)
  • Robots Don't Catch Chicken Pox (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #42)
  • John Philip Duck
  • Shadrach
  • Sadie and the Snowman
  • Aliens for Breakfast
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...