Start by marking “Nailed by the Heart” as Want to Read:
Nailed by the Heart

Nailed by the Heart

The Stainforth family--Chris, Ruth and their young son, David--move into the ancient sea-fort in a nice little coastal town to begin a new life, to start fresh. At the time it seems like the perfect place to do it, so quiet, so secluded. But they have no way of knowing that they've moved into what was once a sacred site of an old religion. And that the old god is not dead- ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Leisure Books (first published March 2nd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Nailed by the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nailed by the Heart

11811 (Eleven)
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the atmospheric horror in the first half but it devolved into an action/adventure story. That makess two by this author that started well but ultimately disappointed. The first was Blood Crazy.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Nailed by the Heart is the first Simon Clark book published in the U.S. This English writer impressed me with Strangers and since then I have been picking up his novels whenever I find them. He can be a bit hit and miss and the main thing that suffers with his writing, from the three books I’ve read, is that sometimes plot holes can be ignored and things don’t always sum up well, but he gives his all in dishing out the goods in the horror genre. Here the plot is outlandish and fun, different eno ...more
Lee Franklin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Clark Nails It Again!!

Unravels at just the right pace and explodes absolutely on point. Great cast of characters, deliciously evil horrors and tension that sends you devouring the pages.
Victoria
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Well, this was a pretty exciting thriller set on a North Sea beach. Towards the very end, it was definitely keeping me at the edge of my seat! There were, of course, some things that were left loosely explained, but overall it couldn't be done well any other way. I would read another book by this author for sure!
Interestingly, some of the descriptions were reminiscent of Davy Jones' crew from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which makes me wonder if one of the special effects people read thi
Robjr73
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
It's just ok. Read The Night Boat by McCammon. Much better....
Plum-crazy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had this book recommended & given to me & as I'm always on the lookout for "new" authors I had high hopes for it....sadly those hopes were dashed! For some reason, from the first chapter I didn't take to David or Chris & consequently didn't particularly care what happened to them.

By the time I reached page 107 (why do I remember that?!) I was ready to jack it in but instead battled to the end, though to be fair I skimmed it rather than "read" it! Not impressed.
Ryan
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Basic idea of this book is pretty simple. Family buys an old seafort located in a small coastal town, their dream is to turn it into a hotel. Needless to say the village is a little odd, populated with some rather eccentric characters. Things quickly start to get a little strange. The son is sacrificing his favorite toys to the waves. Massive plants are growing out of the walls and a chair seems to have sprouted new life. The people in the town start to get stranger, and the misshapen dead are c ...more
Adam Wilson
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Nailed By the Heart is better as far as my Clark experiences go but I still did not find it good. I found it to be mediochre at best. It’s one of those books that has a great beginning but then unravels for me into a giant mess with only a scene here and there being interesting to me. Books involving drowning in any form always creep me out (John Saul’s The Unloved had a horrifying dead body in ocean scene) and this book had some “stay away from the shoreline” stuff, but nothing groundbreaking. ...more
David Logan
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Simon Clark's debut. A sound horror story. I've a signed copy: to Dave 25th May 1995. That long ago? A few years earlier, when he wrote for the small press, I published one of his short stories in my magazine. He fully deserves his success.
Tammy
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I enjoyed this book. The "monsters" were creepy. The ending, however, was silly.
Eric Compton
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Clark's small town sea-side horror tale touches on Lovecraft styled traditional horror. Its not as clever or unnerving as Clark classics like 'Stranger' and 'Blood Crazy' yet still quite enjoyable.
Nazrat

• The Search for Joseph Tully
  • Black Butterflies
  • Nazareth Hill
  • Monstrocity
  • The Attraction (Dark Coming of Age, #3)
  • Fears Unnamed
  • Dark Gods
  • In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1)
  • Chasm
  • Bloodstone
  • The Memory Tree
Born, 20th April, 1958, Simon Clark is the author of such highly regarded horror novels as Nailed By The Heart, Blood Crazy, Darker, Vampyrrhic and The Fall, while his short stories have been collected in Blood & Grit and Salt Snake & Other Bloody Cuts. He has also written prose material for the internationally famous rock band U2.

Raised in a family of storytellers – family legend told of