Start by marking “Jesus Christ for Today's World” as Want to Read:
Jesus Christ for Today's World

Jesus Christ for Today's World

Jurgen Moltmann formulates necessary questions about the significance of Jesus the Christ for persons today. He offers a compelling portrait of the earthly Jesus as the divine brother in our distress and suffering and points to the risen Christ as the warrant for the future in which God will restore everything . . . and gather everything into his kingdom. Urging that ackno ...more
Published August 1st 1995 by Augsburg Fortress Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus Christ for Today's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus Christ for Today's World

Gene Bales
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I was curious about this book when a friend gave it to me not long ago. Curious--but not expecting a great deal from it. I was, however, very pleased and surpised at its depth and thought and relevance. It is not very long, and it is written in a very accessible style.

There are three sections of this book that really stood out for me. (1) The fourth chapter on the Torture of Christ is, I think, a brilliant consideration of the moral issue of torture in our time. You cannot read this and come awa
David Ruiz
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una cristología breve y a la vez precisa, que nos ayuda a pensar, como dice el título, en Cristo desde una perspectiva contemporánea sin dejar de ser totalmente bíblica. Como indica Rubén Aguilar Valenzuela "El texto es una reflexión culta, profunda e inteligente sobre la figura de Jesús y de su significado para los cristianos. Es una obra ecuménica escrita para los creyentes, pero que resulta interesante para todos los que quieren desentrañar el sentido de la vida".
Cameron Coombe
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An accessible book on christology, addressing Jesus in light of such as fear, torture, and Chernobyl. Definitely something to read for those wanting to go beyond the Jesus-is-my-boyfriend popular Christian books and wrestle with what Jesus means for today's world. Note that chapter 7, as far as I can tell, is a reprint of chapter 1 in the earlier *The Way of Jesus Christ*.
Jake Chaplin
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moltmann is one of my theological heroes, and I think his ideas are truly inspiring. I find his theology about suffering, Hell etc very interesting. Truly inspiring short book which I would recommend to anyone with an interest in theology.
Robert Castillo
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This week I finished reading Jesus Christ for Today’ World by Jürgen Moltmann. Moltmann is a German Reformed theologian who is Professor Emeritus of Systematic Theology at the University of Tubingen is known for his own form of liberation theology which is based on the view that God suffers with humanity while promising a future through the hope of Christ’s resurrection which points to God who will restore everything and gather everything into his future kingdom. In this book based which is base ...more
Drick
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a series of essays on the relevance of Christ for today which were remarkably orthodox and traditional in their orientation. I had expected this great theologian of hope to provide me with a new way to look at the challenges facing people of faith in the world today. While he acknowledges his connection to liberation theology, the last chapter on the future offered nothing of any real substance for hope within history only hope beyond history. His chapter on Jewish- Christian relations l ...more
Lee
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a brief introduction to some of the major themes of Moltmann's theology, with a specific focus on Christology (i.e., the doctrine of the the meaning of Jesus Christ). Because this is a short book aimed at a general audience, the arguments aren't generally fully developed enough to win over a skeptic. Someone committed to a more traditional form of theism, for instance, likely wouldn't be convinced by Moltmann's revisionist stance on the suffering of God. But since I'm already somewhat sy ...more
Jim
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I've been enamored with Jurgen Moltmann's theology ever since I discovered him six or seven years during my seminary coursework, but had not read any of his work directly. This book is my first direct exposure to his writing and theological ideas, and I have found this particular work very readable and his ideas to be very accessible.
John
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book

Short, not hard to read, yet profound presentation of Moltmann's understanding of the Gospel. "People who trust in God know that God is waiting for them, that God is hoping for them, that they are invited to God's future, so that they are holding in their hands the most marvellous invitation they have ever had in their lives."
Beth Jarvis
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Moltmann is one of the most important theologians of our day. He should be read and talked about more because he really gives us a positive language of hope to use when most people today just want to get lost in controversy after controversy. Moltmann moves us forward. Even if I don't always I understand him, I am always grateful after reading his works.
Robert Terrell
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book. Moltmann distills his Christology down to a very readable book that can be read quickly (at least for a Moltmann work). Very Good and I will read it again (which for me is the definition of a truly good book).
Daryl Miller
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

When I first started reading this book it didn't keep my attention. I had to force myself to keep going. But the more I read, the more I enjoyed the author's style and appreciated the perspective of this book.
George C. Wilson
Moltmann Focuses on the Future

This is a wonderful reminder of the real meaning of evangelization. It is an invitation to a future in a restored world where God says "behold, I am making all things New."
Rich
Oct 15, 2007 marked it as to-read
i saw this on a reading list for a class i thought sounded great. i've enjoyed other books by jm but haven't heard much on this one. I love the title/concept of the book.
Stedwards
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: phd
Engaging, interesting theology in light of WWII and modern suffering.
S.D. Morrison
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book and serves as a basic introduction to some of Moltmann's most important contributions to theology.
Sep 04, 2008 added it
Don't give up on the world for the world is worth it.
Poetreehugger
Reading this book feels like homework. But that's probably me. A more connected-to-real-life theology than some, but still hard to relate to the everyday world around me.
David Holford
Jun 18, 2016
Eric Clapp
Nov 06, 2013
ruth smith
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2016
  • Flame of Love: A Theology of the Holy Spirit
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • God's Empowering Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Letters of Paul
  • The Evangelical Universalist
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination (Powers, #3)
  • Journey to the Common Good
  • On Being a Christian
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
  • Speaking of Sin
  • Theology for the Community of God
  • Reviving Old Scratch: Demons and the Devil for Doubters and the Disenchanted
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Jesus and the God of Israel: God Crucified and Other Studies on the New Testament's Christology of Divine Identity
  • Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace
  • Honest to God
Jürgen Moltmann is a German Reformed theologian. He is the 2000 recipient of the Louisville Grawemeyer Award in Religion.

Moltmann's Theology of Hope is a theological perspective with an eschatological foundation and focuses on the hope that the resurrection brings. Through faith we are bound to Christ, and as such have the hope of the resurrected Christ ("Praise be to the God and Father of our Lor
“Believing in the resurrection does not just mean assenting to a dogma and noting a historical fact. It means participating in this creative act of God’s … Resurrection is not a consoling opium, soothing us with the promise of a better world in the hereafter. It is the energy for a rebirth of this life. The hope doesn’t point to another world. It is focused on the redemption of this one.” 15 likes
“I believe that for us men and women truth is to be found in dialogue. It is only in dialogue with one another that we can discover truth, because it is only in relationship to other people that we form our own identity. We always need the eyes of others if we are to understand ourselves and if we are to overcome our narcissism. When we encounter other people and hear them say 'I see you', 'I hear you' or 'I know you', we begin to see ourselves and understand ourselves. If it weren't for this experience of other people and their outside view of us, we should remain trapped in the prison of our own prejudgments and illusions about ourselves. No one loses his or her authentic identity in dialogue with other people. But in dialogue with other people everyone acquires a new profile.” 2 likes