Start by marking “The Mummy Market” as Want to Read:
The Mummy Market

The Mummy Market

Elizabeth, Jenny and Harry Martin live with an unsympathetic housekeeper, Mrs. Hinchley, known as The Gloom. Depressed, the children visit their neighbor, Mrs. Cavour, to ask for advice and learn about the Mummy Market, a place where children can find new mothers.

The children quickly find out it is harder to find a mother than they realized. Their first selection, Mimsy,
Published 1966 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Mummy Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mummy Market

Shannon Kirk
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this as a 10 year old girl. Found in the Raymond, NH library. This book has stuck with me all this time. My very favorite book of childhood, possibly my adulthood. I tried to find it 2 years ago and discovered the horror that it is out of print. How could a lovely classic be out of print? Is not Dickens' work still printed? Please, someone, re-release this work. I found the sole affordable copy on EBay, a tattered paperback that even in my careful possession is falling apart. I read to my ...more
Lisa Vegan
If I’d read this book when I was eight or nine years old, I’m sure it would have been a favorite of mine.

Reading it as an adult, I found it charming, delightful, and fun to read. I liked the three kids and their neighbor woman friend. I really enjoyed this book, and appreciated the fact that I did not guess how it would end.

The premise is creative and original. I found the end slightly weak but it would have satisfied me had I read it as a child, and this is a children’s book.

I’m sad to see it
CLM
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Iris
Recommended to CLM by: John Ward School library
This is a wonderful book about three children who are searching for the perfect mother. I was reading it the day Man walked on the moon - I remember being so engrossed that I was annoyed when my teacher begged me to watch TV!
Kerith
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but I remember checking it out of the library many times. It is out of print and hard to find now, so I was excited to discover it at the library and read it again as an adult (and a Mummy). A totally new experience, and as an adoptive mom I found a whole new level to this story of three children searching for their very own mother. Very moving. I wish it weren't so hard to find.
Christine
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having loved this story as a child, and searched for a copy as an adult, I was so excited to find a copy at a secondhand store. HOW I wanted to trade in my own mother at the age of 10! This is a gently funny children's tale with a deceptively simple message.

Such wonderful memories of Wednesdays which were half-days of school, when I could curl up in my deep windowsill with a pillow and blanket, pull the curtains closed around me, and read in my own tiny private world. Rainy days were best, with
Gloria
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I had thought I dreamed up this book; so I am so glad to find that it really did exist, and that I could have, and in fact, did read it in my childhood. A wonderful book that I remember reading when I was in elementary school, no doubt when I was mad at my own mother and longed to be able to get a new one. Too bad this book is no longer in print.

Monica
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wish I had a copy of it, especially because it's no longer in print and buying a used copy will run you upwards of $60 these days. I would love to have a copy again, though.
Ann
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely, charming book that I read on the recommendation of a co-worker, for whom it was a favorite book in her childhood. It's sweet, and definitely hits that sort of classic children's fantasy tone of just matter-of-fact fantastical things happening. All of the weird things that are happening, and no one blinks an eye, or questions why the children have this sudden succession of women acting as a mother.

The book loses points for the ending though. (view spoiler)
Chloe
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as a kid. I would love to find a copy to read to my kids or for it to come out as an ebook.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Cute concept.
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a sweet and simple story. When I was younger I was in love with a movie entitled “Trading Mom”, little did I know it was based on a book, this is that book. The movie was hilarious and a little scary at times while the book stayed very matter-of-fact which was a bit strange to me. For example, the children do not find it odd that they have to mother nor any memory of a mother, okay I will accept that since they are under an enchantment, but what about the other children in the neighborho ...more
Relyn
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nostalgic readers
Recommended to Relyn by: Simone, a blogging friend
I was visiting my friend's blog and she had posted about favorite books from her childhood. This one was mentioned so, of course, I had to seek it out. It was fun and funny and had an odd twist. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I would buy it. Still, if you have the chance and are older than 40, you should read it. It will feel like other (non-classic) books that you read when you were a kid.
Jennifer Heise
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trope: a family of kids sets out to find a mother as a replacement for their housekeeper. Fantasy hijinks ensue. I still liked it a kid. Compare to While Mrs. Coverlet Was Away and other Kindly Housekeeper trope examples.
Austen to Zafón
May 24, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: logan-later
WHY: Elizabeth, Jenny and Harry Martin live with an unsympathetic housekeeper, Mrs. Hinchley, known as The Gloom. Depressed, the children visit their neighbor to ask for advice and learn about the Mummy Market, a place where children can find new mothers. But they quickly learn how hard it is to find the perfect mother.
Jeannie
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was a child and remember it to this day as a very enjoyable book. Having just found the title again I hope to share it with my son in the near future, if I can just get my hands on a copy (it is sadly out of print).
peggy murphy mercado
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember loving this book as a child. I am going to buy it for my daughter...
Billie
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read to our class in 6th grade but stuck with me enough that I read it to my children. Simple fun.
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
This was a constant childhood favorite that I got for Christmas (it's sadly out of print) - so nice to have it for my very own.
Jennipher Lewis