Start by marking “Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)” as Want to Read:
Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)

Falkenberg's Legion

(Falkenberg's Legion #1)

The seeds of contradiction that lay at the heart of the Soviet-American alliance are bearing their final fruit. Soon they will rip the Codomminium apart—and Earth will die.

In the face of that inevitability the fate of humanity lies with the Colony Worlds—a few of which are equipped for more than barest survival. Thrown upon their own resources, their futures seem as limite
Published October 1st 1990 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Falkenberg's Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falkenberg's Legion

Silvana
I feel like I should have liked this book more. It's military scifi. One of the few scifi subgenres I actually enjoy. But I just don't find it enjoyable.

Sure, it has great worldbuilding with lots of details on the planets, local politics and so on. It also has lots of familiar themes of corruption, authoritarianism, colonization, political squabbling and so on. But they became bland when they are overwritten.

The characters didn't help either. The first part of this book was actually quite ente
Andrew
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book really carries on where the previous one left off (Prince of Mercenaries) - the fall of Earth is all but assured and that the need for a new strong focus for a new society is needed. Its a grand idea played on a grand scale but what appealed to me was that the characters and even the events actually play out at a much more personal level.
One aspect which I think makes this book so fascinating to me was that even with high science and interstellar travel - the combat, the weaponry even
Michael Sypes
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable.
The first part, told from the point of view of one of Falkenberg's underlings is better than the second. It's a fun romp through a military engagement of the near future.
The second part, essentially two stories are OK, but you never really feel for the main character, Falkenberg. He's obviously smart, but wooden, and there's no one to route for. Plus the "surprise/secret" is rather obvious in the first of these stories. In the second, it's better except for the fact that it's essential
Bruce
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fix-up of "West of Honor" and "The Mercenary" (a reworking of "Peace with Honor") with additional material which I believe adds little to the two original sources. Pournelle's CoDominium world, in which the USA and USSR have united and Col. Falkenberg leads a mercenary unit comprised of former CoDominium marines, is well worth visiting. This is followed by "Prince of Mercenaries."
J.j. Metsavana
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Võtsin Falkenbergi ette sest Kingi kolmas tume torn ei edene no mitte kuidagi. Haige peaga muutub see Kingi jahu selliseks eriti nõdraks ajusidtuimestavaks sogaks. Loed paar lehte kuida laskur seletab jõujoontest läbi maailma, paisuvatest ruumidest ning kahest paraleelsest ajast ning sekka veel paar nägemust ning juhe on koos. Tahaks lugeda mingit selget laserpüssi-kabaga-makku kirjandust.

Esialgu ei tahtnud ka Falkenberg edeneda. Algus oli hüplik, sisaldas palju erinevates aegruumides sebivaid t
Tom
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Military Sci-Fi that's more military than sci-fi. This story could have taken place in just about any colonial/political environment from the 1900s forward. The weaponry is mostly artillery and bullets, the vehicles are tanks/cars and occasional ocean craft. Star travel and technology play little or no role, save for transporting grunts from one location to another. Scenes take place on different worlds but the "alienness" of those worlds has zero influence... and that's where it fell short for ...more
Annette
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
My husband picked this up at a used book sale, and I was happy to learn that the universe of The Mote in God's Eye had been expanded upon. These "future histories" are dealing with events some hundreds of years before "Mote," however, so no cool aliens - more's the pity! In truth, there's nothing really spectacular or unique in "Legion," although this is not to say that it isn't worthwhile reading. Pournelle's predictions and extrapolation of the decay of not just the US but all Earth society pr ...more
Scott
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good storytelling, with 3 dimensional characters. We see the main character growing into something much bigger to come. The battles aren't super engrossing, but interesting. Lots of political intrigue throughout. I wasn't blown away, but a good first book in the series, and I'll read book 2 soon. (I recommend people read this series in the form of the compilation called The Prince, for completeness. Some material seems to have been added.)
B.A. Simmons
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THESE STORIES! This is a compilation of Pournelle's stories of John C. Falkenberg, the idealistic soldier. I remember my dad reading some of the stories when I was ten or eleven. I then read the book on my own as a teenager. Pournelle's politics are flawless, a great insight into the time (when the stories were written) as well as today. Falkenberg became my childhood hero, and in many ways, still is.
John Schneider
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A solid but slow starting book, Falkenberg's Legion succeeds in presenting a believable and engrossing military narrative. I would have preferred a more dynamic beginning, but the ending is well worth it.
Jon
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books of military fiction in existence. Great story, great ideas, and lots of extremely well described action.

During the first Gulf War, Baen books sent a lot of material to us, when we were overseas, and this was a favorite
Simon
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good escapist read but not as good as I perhaps was lead to believe. Writing seems a bit all over the place and the book seems like several related novellas put together ... which I think it was.
Gordon
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book following Falkenberg's Legion
Jimmacc
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great story. I enjoyed the mixing of cold war with science fiction
Alastair McDermott
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, but I recommend readingThe Prince to get all of these in order.
Peter
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actually the first of the Falkenburg books - excellent read - series is best read in order
Oliver Anderson
Darrell
Apr 04, 2016

• Hammer's Slammers
  • Bolo (Bolo #1)
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • The Hammer (The General, #2)
  • Bolo Rising
  • Man-Kzin Wars IV (Man-Kzin Wars, #4)
  • Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1)
  • The Road to Damascus
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
Dr Jerry Eugene Pournelle was an American science fiction writer, engineer, essayist, and journalist, who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte, and from 1998 until his death maintained his own website and blog.

From the beginning, Pournelle's work centered around strong military themes. Several books describe the fictional mercenary infantry force known as Falkenberg's Legion. T

Falkenberg's Legion (7 books)
  • The Mercenary
  • West Of Honor
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion #3)
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion #4)