Start by marking “The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)

The Importance of Being Married

(Jessica Wild #1)

Jessica Wild isn’t big on commitment. But after inheriting millions from Grace, a sweet old lady she met in her grandmother’s nursing home, the situation seems to have changed. To put an end to the many questions about her nonexistent love life, Jess had led Grace to believe she had a boyfriend-turned-fiancé-turned-husband: her glamorous boss, Anthony Milton. But Jess’s fa ...more
Published June 10th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being Married

Stina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
This book was infinitely stupid. The characters were lame and forced, the plot was too much for me to willfully suspend my disbelief and the end was entirely predictable.

*EDIT* As a friend pointed out, both the title and cover suck, too.
Isabella
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
It was so boring and unengaging that I did not finish it. What more can I say?
Keris
Dec 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I've heard a lot about Gemma Townley (mainly because she's Sophie Kinsella's sister), but this is the first book of hers I've read. At first I really enjoyed it - probably to about halfway - but then it started to become too farcical, too laboured and I was also tired of the main character, Jessica Wild, letting everyone push her around. (Rather like a Sophie Kinsella book, in fact. But Kinsella's books are much funnier and that's what keeps you reading.) There was also, I thought, a massive plo ...more
Saralyn
Jun 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Picked up this book because it has obvious reference to "The Importance of Being Earnest." The character's name was Jessica Wild. Um... Okay. So I was excited for a nice parody of said play. Well, I didn't find that parody. It started out okay, but steadily got worse until I put it down. Well, I read the end to see what happened and it was the lamest ending ever. Just take my word for it.
Grace Nelson
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was pretty predictable and i didn't like how the women is portrayed in the book.
towards the end i just skimmed the book and went to the end.
Maybe i am just getting tired of chicklits.
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I keep picking up British chick lit without meaning to. But this was a very fun read for me. I enjoyed the characters and liked the plot that loosely parallels the Importance of Being Earnest.
The main character tells a little white lie that ends up being a very big deal when four million pounds are suddenly on the line. She and her friends go through a series of hijinx and she discovers the meaning of love and marriage. A little predictable, with some twists. I enjoyed it.
℉₳ℨ
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book ! - I could see the characters as if they were the cast of 'Bridget Jones Diary' . This book was light, funny, cheesy, romantic, sweet... everything you expect from a chick flick was in this book. Totally cheered me up !
Laurissa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A whimsical, summer (light - hearted) read.
Robyn Choate
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I gave this book 3.5 stars. It had some very funy laugh out loud moments - the plot was light and it was an easy read. Definitely a good chick lit book for a weekend.
Julia Kling
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: light
Wanted an easy beach read for our time at the beach, but this was really disappointing. Not worth your time. Poor character development, implausible plot, weak protagonist.
Melinda Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lets be honest, I had to read this book based on the main characters name alone (holla, all my Drag Race friends who had an image of the drag star Jessica Wild in their minds when they read this book!).

Beyond that fact, it now appears to make a whole lot of sense why portions of this book incited in me feelings that usually appear when I’ve been reading a Kinsella book – THEY ARE RELATED!

The best parts of this novel are those second hand embarrassment portions. They make you terrified to turn
Jessica Lawlor
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
The Importance of Being Married by Gemma Townley is the first in a 2-part series about Jessica Wild, a British advertising executive. While visiting her grandmother in the nursing home, Jessica meets Grace, an old lady who just needs someone to talk to. After Jessica’s grandmother passes, Jessica still visits Grace quite often and tells her stories of her fabulous life…..her fabulous pretend life, that is. Jessica can’t bear to disappoint Grace with stories from her mundane life, so she creates ...more
Emily
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
I read this book because I enjoyed another book I read recently by Townely, Little White Lies. I was worried when I started this book that it would be a little slow, like Little White Lies was. I was pleasantly surprised by this book though, once it got going it was like a freight train and couldn't be stopped even when the main character wants to.

The story is about Jessica Wild, an independent women who is not big on commitment or romance. She makes friends with an old lady in her grandmoth
Jen B
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Jessica Wild was always perfectly content being single; she never really believed in marriage, anyway. But, during visits to her friend Grace in a London nursing home, Jessica entertains the elderly lady with a series of made up stories about her courtship and marriage to the sexy and thoroughly unattainable Anthony Milton - her boss. At first, Jess's stories seem like nothing more than a harmless way to entertain a lonely old lady; but when Grace dies and leaves Jessica a fortune - 4 million po ...more
Jessica
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Ok, this was fun. Guess I should have expected that, coming from Gemma Townley, though I'd only read one of her other books before. One that also unfolded because of a white lie. Anyway.
Our main character is Jessica Wild, who works in advertising and has no intention of getting married anytime soon. Which is completely fine. Until the moment in which she inherits a fortune from an old friend, but, according to the lawyer, must be married to her immature gorgeus boss to have access to it. She has
Jennifer Guerra
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Jessica has sworn off marriage for as long as she can remember. Her fans mother told her it would lead to nothing but trouble and basically that romance was overrated. While visiting her grandmother in the nursing home she meets an elderly lady named Grace who she becomes instant friends with. After Jessica's grandmother does she continues to visit Grace and they become great friends. Grace wants nothing but for Jessica to be happy and in love so Jessica makes up a st ...more
Nikki
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Light-hearted and witty modern fiction. The plot, while fun to follow and make sure you are right, is transparent and you know the end before you actually get there.

The fun is in the characters. Watching Jessica try to transform herself into someone else, while she knows what is most important all along. And the characters the author uses to help/hinder her protagonist, while again shallow, make the book fun to read.

While I greatly enjoyed this book it was somewhat lacking in the final copy. S
Star Elda
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
The story is about someone claiming not needing love to live,brainwashed by her bitter grandmother.Then,she met a nice old lady,and for the sake of cheering her up,made up stories of her romance (eventually marriage) with her beyond-her-league boss.When the old lady dies,Jess is the sole inheritant for her wealth.The married Jess.In 50 days,she has to be married for real to get the money.
Yes,the book is predictable.The reason I bought it was the first few pages showed the main character,Jessica
J.L.
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Regina
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
The plot sounded like something right out of a Sophie Kinsella chicklit piece of froth, and I was in the mood for some brain-candy. This was less brain candy so much as brain...chalk. It started out okay -- set up the premise well enough - goofy plots can be great fun. But this plot wasn't goofy so much as it was moronic, as was the "heroine" and her cast of caricature friends.

Points for some chemistry between the characters -- the second half of the book started to seriously drag.

Popping over
Jennifer Thomson
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
The premise of the book is totally contrived and not believable. I however decided to read it anyway and try not to roll my eyes too much. I liked Jessica. She seemed very common, in a good way. She protests in all the right places, but does get pushed around too easily.

The editing should have been better! There are some glaring factual inconsistencies at the beginning, specifically about how long her grandfather stayed after she went to live with them. One place said 2 weeks, another said 1 mo
Jeanne
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all fans of chick lit
Shelves: chick-lit
Jessica Wild doesn't need a man, and she certainly doesn't need to get married. Her grandmother raised her to be independent, and she's pretty happy on her own. Nobody can convince her otherwise, until she meets Grace.

Grace lives at the same retirement home as Jess's grandmother. But after her grandmother dies, Jess continues to visit Sunnymead because she has found a friend in Grace. Grace is romantic, and Jessica feels pressured to exaggerate her love life in order to please Grace. Her exagger
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mariana Maiz
This was a funny, crazy book. I liked it, but I thought it could've been better. I think the plot was a bit predictable and some things weren't as explored as they should have.
I liked Jess, even though she seemed a bit too naïve at times and I was not a big fan of how her emotions seemed to change so fast. I really loved Helen and I wanted to know more about her. Anthony was what Anthony was since the begining, and I really loved Max. From the first time he appeared. In fact, I'm still a bit ma
Jenger
Aug 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Although this wasn't my favorite Gemma Townley book, I did enjoy it. I had a hard time rating it because, for me, it fell between 'liked it' and 'really liked it'. I probably went with just 'liked it' because there were times in the book that Jess, the main character, seemed just too namby-pamby, especially since she was supposed to be this independent, cynical person. It became a bit annoying how wimpy she was with Marcia and Fenella. While the final twist in the story wasn't bad, some of it wa ...more
Carla
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy the premise of this book but grew tired of it about half way through. Jessica became more fun as the story unfolded but I found her and her friend Helen irritating at times. I'm sorry to say that I thought I knew what the "twist" was going to be early on but I didn't completely figure out the "twist" until it neared the end. Jessica ultimately needed to realize that being true to herself would be the way to find real love. This is a fun, quick beach read for anyone who enjoys chick l ...more
Shanna
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: gemma-townley
This book is part one of a trilogy about Jessica Wild, a independant single girl who is a bit of a cynic when it comes to love, relationships and marrige and her crazy "Project Marriage" scheme to inherit four million dollars!
In the process Jessica learns that marriage means a whole lot more then she originally thought.
It was a fun, easy read as most 'chick lits' are but I found it very predictable and pretty much knew the ending before I read it..although there was one little twist that surpr
Anne Martin
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
once again, I enjoyed it. It is not a book you will keep in your mind for ever, it is not one which will open you to other views of the world, or makes you ask yourself metaphysical questions, but it is a cute humoristic fun read, to keep you busy on a rainy day. It taught me he insane thing Americans do on weddings is used in England too and probably comes from there. You know, the rehearsal dinner, etc... I only read about it or saw it in movies, never for real. I thought it was an American cr ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Luck
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • Exes and Ohs
  • Weekend in Paris
  • Frenemies
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • Rescuing Rose
  • The Breakup Club
  • Wolves in Chic Clothing
  • Accidental It Girl
  • Society Girls
  • Forget Me Knot
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • I Do (But I Don't) ( Crandell Sisters, #1)
  • The Smart One and the Pretty One
  • Pick Me Up
Gemma Townley launched her writing career at the age of sixteen with a book review in Harpers & Queen. At Reading University, unimpressed with the official university paper, Spark, she launched a satirical rival, Spank, which she edited for a year before taking over as deputy editor on Spark and features editor on South-East Student.

Gemma is currently head of communications at the Chartered In

Jessica Wild (3 books)
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • An Ideal Wife (Jessica Wild, #3)