Start by marking “Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)

Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,137 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
For a century, the Americans and Soviets had maintained an uneasy alliance based on the CoDominium, a world order in which no other power or combination of powers could threaten their mutual hegemony. Thus did the Americans and Russians learn to live at peace with each other.

But nothing lasts forever, the CoDominium's energies are nearly spent, and internal conflicts are r
Published March 1st 1989 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Mercenaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Mercenaries

Annette
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Meh. While I would never call Pournell a bad writer, as a solo author his weaknesses in character development are striking. The story in "Prince of Mercenaries" is nevertheless fairly well told and his characters are not So wooden as to prevent you from caring.
Also, 'though we do spend a little time on Earth in one of the sub-stories, unlike the volumes both before and after this one, there is little of the background on the political system of the CoDominion or anything else. In some ways it m
Robert
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not that I'm any military expert. This book, however, sent me to Wikipedia to look Pournelle up and figure out just what he's made of. It was too good to be amateur, and my intuition was right: Jerry Pournelle is the real deal, with deep understandings of history, tactics, strategy, and psychology.

At least he is from my layman's perspective.

This is what happens when a PhD gets some imagination, applies it, and runs with it. It just works.
Phil Kozel
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this, and _The Mercenary_ because they are set in the same universe as War World, but no great shakes here. Fairly plodding plot, some he-man rah rah, just enough to keep you reading until the end.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book falls in to the sub genre of military science fiction - along with Dorsai and Hammers Slammers - you have writers who have experienced actual military service and in some cases even military actions and have used their experiences to write science fiction. In the case of Falkenberg Legions you are looking at a military solution to another genre main stay - the fall of civilisation or in this case the fall of Earth (seen as the heart of the empire).
What I enjoyed about this book is the
Tim
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Older science fiction that revolves around a mercenary company in the future. Pournelle is excellent as he lays out a setting that features hard science fiction and a future of colonization on planets. Like many in this genre, he focuses on the troubles inherent in a colony system based on penal relocation, indentured servitude and maintaining control over distant systems. The Co-Dominium is an excellent concept.
John Schneider
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A solid and entertaining novel, this science fiction tale is both plausible and clever. Perhaps most surprisingly to me, this book made the characters feel more real and interesting than the epic military history that the book chronicles. It is not a five star book because nothing in it ever becomes truly great. Like the mercenaries of Falkenberg's Legion though, the writing in this book is so consistently good that it achieves its end without waste.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it

For a century the Americans and Soviets had maintained an uneasy alliance based on a new world order. But the CoDominium is decaying, and the future belongs to colony worlds like Sparta--if they can survive Earth's death-throes. To do that they will need men who understand war, men like mercenary commander John Christian Falkenberg, and Lysander, Prince of Sparta--the first Prince of Mercenaries.

Scott
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good installment in the series. As a stand-alone book, it's just good. But it moves the grand story along while hinting at the big picture, adds new good characters, and fleshes out existing strong characters. I'm ready to move on to book 3. Good writing and story telling. (I recommend people read this series in the form of the compilation called The Prince, for completeness. Some material seems to have been added.)
Scythan
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not my kind of book. Life on other planets is much too earthlike (animals that seem to be a cross between a moose and a mule, sea creatures similar to loch ness monster, flowers, green jungles...) and thus unbelievable. Am I too strict?
Jack
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A little slow to develop but good story - very detailed - good character development - -will read the other books in the series.
Peter
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent Military SF - the Co-Dominion books are still some of the best in their sub-genre - the series is best read in order
Ármin Scipiades
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh boy, I love this world. The novel itself is mediocre at best, the writing is as clumsy as I expected from Pournelle, but boy, I love the world of the Co-Dominium so very much.
Gordon
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
well written and entertaining
Jonathan
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't know why I liked this book so much...it is quick, easy, short, and simple but for some reason the story always sticks in my head.
Jonathan
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If I read this again I may be unimpressed by the prose and the setup, but it is one of my favorite military science fiction novels
Oliver Anderson
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

The book order on goodreads is not correct from what I can tell.
Jim Moyers
Mar 03, 2011
Me
Jul 25, 2015
Thomas Lareau
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2010
Verywierd
Feb 26, 2013
  • Rolling Hot
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • Oath of Fealty
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • The Sword (The General, #5)
  • Starstrike
  • Bolo (Bolo #1)
Dr Jerry Eugene Pournelle was an American science fiction writer, engineer, essayist, and journalist, who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte, and from 1998 until his death maintained his own website and blog.

From the beginning, Pournelle's work centered around strong military themes. Several books describe the fictional mercenary infantry force known as Falkenberg's Legion. T
More about Jerry Pournelle...

Falkenberg's Legion (7 books)
  • The Mercenary
  • West Of Honor
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion #3)
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99